May's Munchkins 2015

^^ I know that feeling! I've thrown up after eating too big a meal cuz I'm running out of room for baby! It blows lol

So.. I've been googling since I can't sleep and I've learned some things. I did not know they no longer consider full term 37 weeks and on. It's now 39! I guess I'm late to the party on that one but now it makes sense on why my Dr didn't put me on the induce list last pregnancy until 38+4 and why she said full term is 39 at my last apt. I feel so silly for challenging her on it. I read tons of articles on the difference 37-39 weeks makes. As much as I'd like her to be out right now, I feel like 38+ would be my starting point if I was to ask to be induced. I also googled labour and pelvis problems. That didn't help either, but hey that's google for ya!

The heat though!!!! Oh my goodness I know how you feel today it was almost 90 out. I literally felt like I was going to faint at any minute. :(
I was so happy I got a winter pregnancy expecially living in vegas but man these last few weeks are going to be bad, and knowing the heat is just going to keep rising makes it all the more dreadful..

Meagan - it's the group B strep test they'll do on Monday. It varies by location and doctors when they feel comfortable inducing. I've heard they no longer consider 37 weeks full term thought I've heard the new definition to be 40 weeks plus or minus 2 weeks so that'd be 38 weeks. I'd definitely start the conversation of when your doctor typically does inductions and why. If there's no medical reason, few doctors around here will induce before 39 weeks. Good luck!

I always wanted to know, how do doctors decide when and if to do an induction? Is it based on convenience? Necessity? Ive never had one. My labor always started on its on.

I always wanted to know, how do doctors decide when and if to do an induction? Is it based on convenience? Necessity? Ive never had one. My labor always started on its on.

It depends on all kinds of things. Sometimes it's medically indicated like if mom has developed some kind of condition where it's unsafe for her to continue being pregnant. Sometimes it's elective for either the mom's convenience or the doctor's convenience (like if they're about to go on vacation or something) but those typically at least require mom to have a favorable cervix so that the induction is more likely to take. Sometimes it's because mom isn't going into labor on her own. The definition of "how long is too long" varies greatly. Many doctors in the US won't "let" you go past a week overdue, though research indicates 2 weeks post due date is when it seems to be medically indicated due to deterioration of the placenta. You are typically monitored closely during that last bit though (doing non stress tests to make sure baby is okay in there).

Then there's the various methods.. sweeping of membranes (by itself probably isn't really considered "induction" and can only be done if you are at least 2 cm dilated I think), foley balloon (something that basically you stick inside you vag and it slowly opens your cervix), cervidil(a medication that makes your cervix more favorable), artificial breaking of waters, and pitocin. Those are the ones I know of.

Hi all. I just wanted to do a quick update on here. I am going in for my cs tomorrow due to low fluid (and also my cholestasis issue) I'm SO nervous! :wacko:

OMG DebbieF, I bet you are excited!!!

I am, but nervous as well. I will only be 36+2 tomorrow. They assured me that baby should be just fine. 36 weeks is considered premature, correct? :(

I am, but nervous as well. I will only be 36+2 tomorrow. They assured me that baby should be just fine. 36 weeks is considered premature, correct? :(

Technically yes but I know lots of babies born at 35-36 weeks that don't need any special care due to being premature. What time is your section?

Technically yes, but only ever so mildly so. DS was 33+5, after 34 weeks I think it is only mildly premature. He went home before 36+2 weeks gestation (okay, I think it was 36+1....) but every day in the womb is like 2 days in the NICU or something, I think at 36+ you should be really good.

How exciting! I'm jealous! Good luck hun, the itching will stop soon after too xo

I hope all goes well! 36+2 is technically still premature, but often the babies only need a little NICU time or sometimes don't even need the NICU at all. My MIL and SIL are both NICU nurses and they have said 36 weeks isn't really an issue at all, they sometimes just need some help breathing.

So.. I've been googling since I can't sleep and I've learned some things. I did not know they no longer consider full term 37 weeks and on. It's now 39! I guess I'm late to the party on that one but now it makes sense on why my Dr didn't put me on the induce list last pregnancy until 38+4 and why she said full term is 39 at my last apt. I feel so silly for challenging her on it. I read tons of articles on the difference 37-39 weeks makes. As much as I'd like her to be out right now, I feel like 38+ would be my starting point if I was to ask to be induced. I also googled labour and pelvis problems. That didn't help either, but hey that's google for ya!

Interesting. I've still seen "full term" classified at 37 weeks, but I know that the recommendation is that you shouldn't voluntarily induce/have a c-section until 39 weeks as it's still better for the baby. However, if a baby is spontaneously born after 37 weeks, it isn't considered premature. Maybe the difference is in spontaneous vs not?

Debbie, I was induced with my dd at 37 weeks exactly, so just 5 days gestation later! Though I am pretty sure my dates were off and I was closer to 36 weeks. My dd was small, but perfectly healthy! She was in the room with me the whole time and we went home in two days! Good luck! So exciting you will meet your baby so soon!!!

I think it all depends on where you are and what is going on at the moment. My hospital won't try to stop labor after 37 weeks but will not consider inducing without medical cause until 41 weeks. Because of my herniated disks and the pain that is causing me my OBGYN is considering if he will induce me at 39, but he has not made his mind up yet. I think he is hoping I will start feeling better and not "need" it.

Good luck, Debbie!

I went in for a growth scan yesterday and baby is estimated to be about 7lbs 6oz (give or take a lb). And measuring 37+1, which is basically perfect since I was 36+4 according to our first us and 37+1 from lmp. My fundal height measured right on at my appt last night too! It had been 2cm ahead for the past couple months. Now I'm just (Im)patiently waiting to go I to labor. Lol. Hopefully soon!

Our midwives let the lower risk moms go every 2 weeks until 39 weeks then they want us to be seen every week. There's not much to be done between 36 and 39 weeks by them anyways. If you are going to go into labor, it will be naturally until 41-42 weeks then they will induce. (Unless an issue arises, of course)

My Dr doesn't voluntariky induce until 40 weeks and only if cervix is favorable.
I am so hoping to go into labor on my own! Otherwise my Dr will make me schedule an induction no later than 10 days over. And if you opt to wait I have to do non stress tests and ultrasounds.

Technically yes but I know lots of babies born at 35-36 weeks that don't need any special care due to being premature. What time is your section?

11:30am EST

Less than 24 hours from now! So exciting! Hope everything goes well. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"