Mean sac diameter..terrified

Talia12

Reaction score
I consulted my report from my scan at 6w on Thursday and looked at the measurements. It says the mean sac diameter (gestational) was 7.7mm. Everything I've read online, from looking at proper medical journals, says 8mm is normal for 5w3d, and by 6w it should be 13mm.
I cannot be 4 days behind. I found out at 8dpo with a faint bfp. If I was 4 days behind, that BFP would've happened at 4DPO. At the absolute earliest, I could've been 5+6 at that scan, and I still should've had a mean sac diameter of around 11mm, not 7.7.

I am giving up hope. It is not possible for this baby to be okay. I'm so angry that the technicians didn't tell me I was measuring far behind - but I know why they didn't, it's because they assume I just ovulated late and don't realise. But as I have explained re my BFP, it's not possible.

My baby is gone isn't it...

Try not to worry too much, I'm sure the medical professionals would tell you if they had any concerns. The measurements are very difficult in the early stages as everything is so tiny! Can you speak to your doctor about it? Do you have any bleeding or anything? A history of losses? I'm sure they'd listen to you and offer some reassurance or further investigations etc.

I didn't get near a scan until 12 weeks nor had any early blood work etc., which sometimes I think is better. All you can do is potter on and hope everything is going ok!

Hope everything is OK for you!

Honestly it's so early that's it's hard to get an accurate measurement. And as pp said they would have told you if something didn't look right. Why don't you call your midwife or hospital and ask them about it? They can hopefully put your mind at rest

I really think you need to stop worrying. It is obvious you are extremely anxious about the entire pregnancy and it can't be doing you any good.

Awful as the truth can be, whatever is going to happen is going to happen regardless of how much you do or don't worry about it. I know it's hard, I have had several early losses so I do understand.

Hopefully your next scan will put your mind at ease. I really really hope it does. In terms of dating a pregnancy, this time, at 5+5 I only measured 5 weeks and at 7+3 I measured a week behind and I KNEW I ovulated on CD 14 and couldn't possibly be a week behind. When I went for my 12 week scan baby had caught up and measured bang on what he/she was supposed to all along. Early scans are notoriously unreliable in terms of dating a pregnancy.

True, you haven't seen a heartbeat yet, but your scans so far have been super early and have shown progression. You still have a decent chance at a healthy bean. I am not saying I know for a fact that you do, but your chances are decent. Please stop worrying, it is robbing you of the pleasure each day of being pregnant.

I am sorry if I sounded harsh but you are worrying so much and you shouldn't.

It doesn't sound harsh. I know you are right and that if the worst doesn't happen, I am worrying for nothing, and if it does happen then I am wasting the only time I have to be pregnant with this baby worrying. I don't know why I'm so anxious - I was worried with my son as we all are in first tri but this time around it's more that I am convinced there's something wrong and as you have noticed, have been now for weeks. It's not me just being paranoid, it's that at every turn I have had some sign or other that didn't bode well.
I know that the anxiety isn't good for me, and it's not constant it's just when I start to think about things. I hope you're right and it's just wrong measurements. I had antenatal depression with my son and I don't know if all of this is linked.
Thank you to all of you for your responses.

I measured 5+5 at 6+1 work DS. He "caught up" and was measuring 7+4 perfectly at 7+4.

At 6 weeks, days matter when measuring. It can be off which is probably why they didn't say anything. That's why scans usually aren't done until about 8 weeks and only done that early if medically indicated (usually, though not always).

I had mine done that early because of spotting, but it required a follow up because it was too early to determine much.

I know it's very scary, but unfortunately being this early there's so much margin for things to be off a bit :hugs:

Our babies just like are bodies are individual and the measurements are averages. Hang in there!!

Talia maybe you should go and see someone about your anxiety, it can't be doing you any good and it's a long 9 months feeling like this xx

I was measuring 6 days behind at an early scan but by my next scan he had caught up. There is hope :hugs:

Talia maybe you should go and see someone about your anxiety, it can't be doing you any good and it's a long 9 months feeling like this xx

I will consider it if things continue but I don't have any kind of depression/anxiety issues apart from when I was pregnant with my son, and now that I'm absolutely gripped with anxiety this time around I'm wondering if it's linked to pregnancy.
But then on the other hand I think that it's just anxiety caused by the fact that basically every day since I found out I was pregnant, there's been something or other that's given me cause to believe all is not well...the latest being this panic over the sac diameter. I guess we will see how the anxiety goes if/when I find out things are okay.

Thank you everyone

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->