Measuring small?

Amygdala

Reaction score
I had a scan today at what I thought was 8+4 but could possibly have been as early as 8+1. Baby measured only 7+4 though, which I know is impossible. We did see a heartbeat though and everything else looked good. Any positive experiences? Or any experiences at all?

No personal experience of measuring small with a heartbeat (I had a mc in August and was at least two weeks behind) but I've read a couple of posts recently where ladies have been told a few days either side but when they went back for follow up scans and they're measuring right where they thought they'd be or further along!

As bean is so teeny at this stage, even a mm or two in the sonographer's CRL measurements can throw your dates off.

It's a great that you've seen baby's heartbeat! H&h 9! X

Thank you! I know I shouldn't fret but it's hard. I just really want to start trusting this pregnancy but having had a mmc before, I just can't bring myself to bond while there's any reason to doubt.

It's so hard to relax, you second guess every little thing. But you saw baby's little heart beating - while is by no means a guarantee, it's super positive!

Good luck, hope all goes well x

Hi there, I had a similar thing recently and it turned out fine.

https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/p...8087-measuring-behind-scan-today-updated.html

I still can't explain why my earlier scans were off - (I had a second scan I didn't post about which agreed with the first scan and put me at 6+3 when I should have been 7+1 by ovulation and 7+5 by LMP.) I think early scans just aren't that accurate especially if you're not 100% sure of ovulation.

I meant to add I was so stressed and went Google crazy as I had a mmc in the summer. I also felt like I couldn't relax and think about the future of my pregnancy. I found a lot of posts and medical data confirming that early scans are only accurate +\-5 days. I'm sure it's fine and the fact you saw a heartbeat is a great sign.

I ended up booking yet another scan to put my mind at rest. If you're in the UK and have a thisismy clinic near you, they do an anytime reassurance scan for £50.

I've heard both positive and negative outcomes from people measuring behind. Some turned out to be just fine and measured on time later. the couple people I know who measured behind and ended up losing the pregnancy also had poor heartbeats so if everything else looked good I'd try not to worry.

It's very possible that you ovulated and conceived later than you thought. I've read and have been told that early scans are accurate +/- a week, because usually EDD are set based off your LMP (which goes off the perfect 28 day cycle), but you may have ovulated earlier or later in the cycle. With my youngest I had thought I was 9w1d when I went to my dating scan, but he measured 8w4d. I know not far off, but I had no idea when I ovulated or anything like that (did not keep track of it). But I've had a friend who's baby measured behind a week than the original week she thought. She just ovulated/conceived later than she thought. Baby girl is perfectly healthy, born at 40w2d.

I would try not to worry about it, especially since you did see heartbeat :)

My first pregnancy measured behind. I went in expecting to see legs and arms and saw a blob instead. She's almost 15 now.

I've measured about 2 weeks behind with both pregnancies. This one I'm sure of all my dates, so I'm not quite sure how I'm that far behind, but everything else looks great so I'm not worried. I'm a smaller woman, so I think I just make smaller babies. :) (DD was only 6 lb 8 oz at 41 weeks, and that was after they pushed the due date back 9 days past the original one)

Good luck!

I've been measuring a week behind consistently throughout this pregnancy. I know of my dates.. All is well. Maybe just going to be a smaller baby :) my other babies weren't that big either though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->