Medical management- can anyone help with advice?

firsttimer1

Reaction score
Hi all,

I did ask this on the miscarriage forum but not getting responses - so hope its ok to try here as feel like i really need support. :nope:

Im going to the hospital tomorrow for confirmation scan that im misscarrying (known for 2 weeks but last two scans were private - and NHS want thier own done lol). Ive spoken with doctor and im going to do medical management.

HOWEVER, i think ive been a bit naive as i thought it would mean taking a pill then miscarrying at home - but it seems you have to go to hosp again and have (TMI) vaginal pills?

Can anyone offer any advice as to what the process is - and what it was like?

Im now VERY nervous and scared :(

I'm so sorry you're going through this :(

I don't know how the pills work honestly... I had a d&c after bleeding on my own for 5 days. I wish I had some answers for you.. I hope someone else on here can offer some advice my dear. :hugs:

Thanks hun. I had planned on doing it naturally but as i marry in six weeks it would now be silly too. Knowing my luck, AF will visit on my honey moon lol! x

well, I must say- the d&c definitely sped the process up and I was physically easier than I thought it would be.. so if you can have that done- I'd prefer that over taking pills and going through that! Congrats on your marriage! :hugs:

Ive been told if i want the D&C then i will have to wait a little due to all these Bholidays :( thats why theyve sd to do medical management as can do it this weekend... just need to know more about it from people whove been thru it to calm my nerves :(

I can tell you what it was like for me to miscarry naturally... It took a very long time. It was very painful, and very rough to see the sac/the baby when it is passed.

However, I preferred to do it naturally because it provided a sense of closure. I do know that women who have had a d&c were glad they did it and many of them had no pain at all, which is amazing.

Good luck to you. I really hope you can get everything resolved before your wedding. I'm sure this is completely difficult for you.

My natural miscarriage really wasn't that bad. I did have most of my miscarriage prior to needing meds but had retained some tissue. Mine was a pill that made the uterus contract and thus finish the miscarriage. It wasn't fun but it wasn't that bad. I can imagine that the vaginal pills are intended to dialate the cervix so that your body will then finish the miscarriage.

I blogged about my first loss. It looks like your miscarriage will be different but sometimes all you can find is the nightmare stories of loss. Mine is pretty "normal". Read it HERE.

I am so sorry that you are going through this. I hope all is resolved before your big day. :hugs:

Thank you so much for all ur kind thoughts and advice x

so is medical management sometimes done and completed with just the one pill? without the need for the follow up vaginal ones?

Thats the bit i find confusing...

BTW: I wasn't trying to say that ALL natural m/c's are awful... Just trying to tell you what my personal experience was. I've never felt pain like that before when I was passing the baby, but it's very good to know that not all women went through what I did during a natural m/c. I really hope you are like maybe2more and don't go through the awful pain. :flower:

Thats ok MrsHJO - i really appreciate your honesty xx i did really want to do it naturally but with a hen do in 4ws and wedding in 6wks its just too risky. xxx

I really hope this isn't too much information but this is my experience that was written back in Jan. Hope I don't offend -

On the Wednesday I was seen in clinic and made my decision on the medical management route. I was given 2 tablets orally in clinic to start to detach the contents and then the next set of tablets would be given in hospital 36-48 hours after so I had to come in on friday. I was told that I could get some cramps and I might start bleeding a bit. They said that some people miscarry at home after the 1st 2 tablets. Nothing happened at all to me and I had been given an appointment to come into the gynae ward on the friday morning at 9am. I was allowed to have my husband with me all day and I was given a private room which was good. At 9.20 I was given 3 tablets internally as they say that it works best. After 20 mins I was in a bit of pain so given pain relief. I have never been in labour but they have to dilate your cervix a bit so you can pass the sac so i think the pain was like early labour. At 10.15 I started bleeding not to heavily I had to change my pad every 45mins. The worst bit for me was when you go the the toilet you have to wee in a bed pan (you go to the toilet tho and put the pan in the toilet) and these are looked at by the nurses to check the ammount of blood loss and for and contents such as the sac. At 1.30ish I passed the sac. The nurse said that she would have expected a bit more so I was given 2 more tablets (orally) to keep my uterus contracting. This didn't cause any more pain than I was already in and I didn't require any more pain killers. The bleeding slowed down in the afternoon and I was discharged by 4pm. t 8pm I got a bit more cramping and passed a bit more tissue and after that I had no more pain at all I took no further painkillers at all.

I won't lie after the internal tablets it did hurt but I was given great pain relief. The nurses did keep poping in to check on me but I was also given plenty of privacy the balance for me was about right but I'm sure if you wanted more contact from them they would.

I have bled a bit for 6 days and it has totally stopped now.

After a discussion with my husband we are going to try again straight away. The hospital advise you wait one af before trying but this is only because it is easier for them to date you. There is no increase risk of m/c if you try straight away. We both feel ready so its going to be a new year with a new start!!

Everyone is different and your hospital might be slightly different but I think the procedure and advice they give will be similar. If you want to ask anything else don't hesitate I will answer (if i can) anything. Thinking of you take care xxxx (p.s I had a blighted ovum so no baby was present)

cazi77 - i cant thank you enough as i understand it a bit better now. And i assume when you say ''tablets given internally'' you mean (tmi) through vagina? Sorry - this is so all new to me that i just want to make sure ive got it all right! :blush:

thanks so much for going into detail for me - if helps me feel more in control. The toilet pan bit doesnt sound great but i guess i wouldnt have to look? just the nurse... x

Yes it was a pessary into the vagina. You should be given some tablets 48hours before you go into hospital for the and I don't think they will be posted coz they like to keep an eye on you for a bit so they should give them to you in clinic. Thinking of you xx

I had medical management last year and had little/ no pain. The treatment was first dose taken orally in clinic, second dose vaginally after being admitted as a day patient (private room in NHS hsopital) two days later. It did take a full month afterwards before I got a BFN which was due to some retained tissue which eventually sorted itself out.

I have heard of other ladies (in the UK) who did the whole thing at home, but personally I found it reassuring to be in hospital with medical staff available. (I ended up on a drip as the bleeding got fairly heavy and they were concerned about dehydration - but please don't let that worry you, it sounds more dramatic than it actually was.)

:hugs:

thanks so much for all your help :)

cazi77 - good luck in getting your next BFP. and once again youve shown my lack of knowledge haha, as i thought you HAD to have an AF after the MC inorder to get pregnant again!!! Didnt realise you could before as thought egg wouldnt be released etc!!! :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->