medical management of miscarriage.... my experience

clairebear_

Reaction score
Hi,

I thought I would share my experience of medical management of a miscarriage as I was scared half to death after reading some posts on the internet and although it was definitely not a nice experience it wasn't as bad as some of the stories I had read.

I started spotting at 11 weeks, I made an appointment with my GP who did an external examination and booked an early scan for me, she said there was nothing to worry about and bleeding occurs in most pregnancies.

The spotting continued and I went for my scan 2 days later. The scan showed the pregnancy sack but no baby, they did the internal scan with the probe thing they use (I'm not sure of its official name) this didn't hurt but was quite uncomfortable. The lady explained that there was a 7 week fetus but she couldn't detect a heartbeat. I then had to see a doctor, she told me the baby had died at 7 weeks and I had a missed miscarriage.....I was absolutely heartbroken. The baby wasnt planned but was a very happy surprise. She then gave me 3 options, the natural, medical or surgical management, I chose the natural approach and was sent home with another scan booked for 2 weeks time.

I waited a week but still nothing more than light spotting, the thought of carrying my dead baby around started to get too much for me, I still felt very much pregnant, sore boobs, sickness etc....I was becoming very down and depressed so I called the hospital and asked if I could have the medical management. They booked me in for 2 days later, I had another scan which confirmed nothing had changed...after 3 hours of waiting, answering questions, blood tests and signing forms I was given the first tablet and sent home, I had an appointment booked for 48 hours later on the women's health unit.

They tell you the first tablet loosens things up ready for the miscarriage to take place when you are in hospital. I experienced quite bad cramps and moderate bleeding the day after I took the pill, I had trouble sleeping but after some painkillers I was ok.

Yesterday I went for my appointment at 10am on the ward. The nurse who greeted me was lovely and said she would be there to look after me all day, I was shown to a private room off the ward with its own toilet and a TV, my mum was allowed to stay with me and I was given 10 minutes to settle in.

She came back and took my blood pressure then gave me 4 little tablets and some rubber gloves, she said I could put the tablets in myself or she would do it, whatever I was comfortable with, I chose to do it myself, the tablets were coated in lubricant so it was relatively easy and I pushed them up as far as I could.

An hour later I started to get cramps, I found walking around helped a lot, the nurse came back and gave me painkillers which took the edge off. I then felt a sudden gush and ran to the toilet with a bed pan, I passed quite a lot of blood and some large blood clots (as well as 3 of the pessaries, which I was told there was nothing to worry about, that's why they give you so many). This continued for about 3 hours, the cramping and then passing blood, I asked the nurse for more painkillers and she brought them straight away. She took away each bed pan to check if I had passed the pregnancy sack, at this point I hadn't. Just more blood and the last of the tablets....I was worried about this but again the nurse said it was nothing to worry about and it wouldn't stop anything happening.

She then came back and gave me 2 of the tablets I had inserted vaginally and told me to take them orally with another dose of painkillers. Within 30 minutes I had quite an intense bout of cramping which I was told was similar to labour contractions (as this was my first pregnancy I had no comparison) I rushed to the toilet and felt something quite large fall out. I looked and it looked like a ball of blood but I knew that it was the pregnancy sack, my mum called the nurse who had a quick look and took the bed pan away. Immediately the pain stopped, she came back and confirmed I had passed everything. They asked me to stay in for another couple of hours to monitor my bleeding. I was then allowed to go home, I have another scan booked in 1 week to check the womb is clear.

As I said at the start of this post it was.not a nice experience but with nice nurses and plenty of pain relief that they are happy to give to you when you ask it is definitely bearable.

24 hours later and I feel fine physically, the bleeding is no more than a normal period, obviously mentally I still feel very sad and drained but I am glad to have it all over and done with.

I hope this helps anybody else in this awful time.

xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->