• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Medical Marijuana for HG?

LadyHutch

HutchMom
Reaction score
Please, read before you judge...

I hate smoking pot. I haven't done it since I was a teenager. I am old, responsible, a mom, and really don't like how it makes me feel. I'm a church going, stepford mom. I am not looking for a buzz.

However, I am also reaching a point of desperation. I've lost nearly 20 pounds. I was already slender, losing that much weight has made me frail and gaunt. The baby is measuring behind and I am convinced its because I can't get the kiddo the nutrients he or she needs. I am already on three separate medications for nausea and they only just take the edge off. In 15 minutes, I have to decide whether to go back to the hospital and likely have a PICC line installed. I'm giving a last ditch effort to stop puking by (with my dr.'s approval) taking all three meds at once. I did that 1.5 hrs ago. I'm still sick.

This isn't your average morning sickness. I'm no wilting flower type either. We are all really starting to worry.

I am thinking my next trip to the doc or the ER I am going to ask about possibly trying therapeutic marijuana. I hate the idea...it is yucky stuff to me. I'd likely try to make some brownies or something, but I can't much keep anything down so I'd probably end up smoking it.

Its really a last ditch effort for me here...I don't know what else to do at this point. It seems to me, if it gives me some relief, it'd be lower risk than all these pills and suppositories and IVs and a PICC line. And maybe I could get both babes and me some much needed nutrition. We are starving to death.

So, if you want to judge me, or any ladies brave and willing to share their experiences with me on whether or not this might work, please keep it to yourself. Just close the thread and walk away. You obviously have no idea what I'm going through.

If you have tried this, please let me know if it worked. Or if it made things worse. I'm going to ask the doctor before I try it but I'd like to hear some personal experiences.

I know cancer patients have lots of success with medical marijuana pills for nausea. Do you think they would prescribe it to a pregnant woman though? I think you might need more than just nausea help at this second though, you need nutrition. I vote for a picc line with tpn through it. You need help getting over the hump. :hugs:

I'm just gonna be straight up and say that I'm not the stepford wife you describe and I love ma weed. lol.

Like you, Ive been really nauseous and ill up until 2 days ago. I'm 9 weeks. Thank God it stopped. Most of my friends are Rastafarian and have smoked during their pregnancy to relax them and relieve them of their nausea. It really works and gave them their healthy appetite. I chose not to because I didn't like the feeling of coming down from the high (I smoked at the beginning when I didn't know I was pregnant) but all of their babies have turned out perfectly healthy.

I wouldn't smoke it with tobacco no way, but you could try other methods.
Xx

If you do not like smoking pot, there are other ways to take in the thc. You can vaporize if you do not like the act of smoking it or you can do edibles. There are different products sold by dispensaries to target various ailments and conditions.

I'm one of those people that is anti - drug and alcohol but to be honest if I was in your shoes I would be considering it also. It's not like you will be abusing it. You aren't going to be doing it to get bigh. My grandfather had cancer and it helped him a lot. Medical marijuana is illegal in our state but what we got him worked. His doctor actually told us to go get him some.

First of all, I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I hope you can find relief in whatever choice you make. Here are some links I found...

https://rxmarijuana.com/kirkman.htm

https://www.experienceproject.com/stories/Have-Hyperemesis-Gravidarum/1777209

https://www.citizens.org/medical-marijuana-a-surprising-solution-to-severe-morning-sickness/

Good luck.

What do you mean it would be lower risk?

It seems the belief that marijuana helps HG and similar is actually more common than you think. I've lost count of the times I've heard people talk and ask if they've used it in pregnancy.

However now I've had kids and with one of them with special needs, I did not realise how much could affect a babies development in first trimester. (I haven't used it in pregnancy) In your case, using marijuana could well have an effect on your baby's brain development.

I'm not in any doubt how awful and worried you must be feeling right now, but this idea isn't a good one. I would suggest finding another route.

I'd say give it a try, I've heard there's absolutely nothing wrong with choosing to smoke weed occasionally and responsibly, even in pregnancy. but like others said, there's other ways to get the effects you're looking for. I'd ask your doc or a doctor that's open to the idea for advice!

raspberry- it is not tobacco.

I'm going to be straight up honest with you (Even though I might be frowned upon by some of the ladies that initially enjoyed my posts). Until Monday, I smoked pot everyday. I've quit so that I can go get all my lab work without getting CPS shoved up my ass. Since I have quit smoking (This was 5 days ago mind you) I've lost 5 pounds. Even with my Zofran, I can barely eat, and when I do it's only a couple of bites. I have barely left my bed this entire week (even though with my insomnia, I can't sleep...I just lay there) As soon as I can pass a test (Medical or not, Marijuana is illegal in my state) I'll be right back to ingesting weed, the health of my baby depends on it.

Now, what I'm about to say next is controversial, but through research, I've found that Marijuana is safer than most prescription medications. Not only does it let me eat, it also helps my depression and anxiety. The alternative medications for those conditions are known to cause birth defects (My step daughter had to have several open heart surgeries right after birth because of the effects of said medication). Not one TRUTHFUL case of Marijuana causing a birth defect has ever been reported. Any study suggesting it has not been conducted on the SOLE use of weed. Any information you find suggesting it has no reference to back it up.

If you're worried about the stigma of pot "making your baby slow" or causing other developmental issues, I really urge you to look up Dr. Melanie Dreher and her 30 year study on Marijuana and pregnancy. If the results from that study don't ease your mind, I don't know what will.

I will clarify that I'm strongly against drinking or smoking cigarettes during pregnancy, and before I educated myself, I was strongly against Marijuana as well. Since it sounds like you live in a state/country where at least medical is legal, you can purchase oils to drop under your tongue, edibles, or even a vaporizer so that you can take it as medicine without any of the lung fears of smoking it. In many countries (first and third world alike) Marijuana is used as medicine for pregnant women, largely for the treatment of HG.

If you are dehydrated, I would suggest checking yourself into a hospital to get your fluid levels where they need to be, but my opinion is that Marijuana will greatly help you, it helps me.

Having been in your situation, I understand entirely where you're at. HG is a debilitating horrendous condition that I wouldn't wish on anyone. You try what you have to. I haven't heard of marijuana helping nausea but it sounds interesting and I will be looking into it.

Keep going... one day this will all be a horrible memory but it does end.

I'm going to be straight up honest with you (Even though I might be frowned upon by some of the ladies that initially enjoyed my posts). Until Monday, I smoked pot everyday. I've quit so that I can go get all my lab work without getting CPS shoved up my ass. Since I have quit smoking (This was 5 days ago mind you) I've lost 5 pounds. Even with my Zofran, I can barely eat, and when I do it's only a couple of bites. I have barely left my bed this entire week (even though with my insomnia, I can't sleep...I just lay there) As soon as I can pass a test (Medical or not, Marijuana is illegal in my state) I'll be right back to ingesting weed, the health of my baby depends on it.

Now, what I'm about to say next is controversial, but through research, I've found that Marijuana is safer than most prescription medications. Not only does it let me eat, it also helps my depression and anxiety. The alternative medications for those conditions are known to cause birth defects (My step daughter had to have several open heart surgeries right after birth because of the effects of said medication). Not one TRUTHFUL case of Marijuana causing a birth defect has ever been reported. Any study suggesting it has not been conducted on the SOLE use of weed. Any information you find suggesting it has no reference to back it up.

If you're worried about the stigma of pot "making your baby slow" or causing other developmental issues, I really urge you to look up Dr. Melanie Dreher and her 30 year study on Marijuana and pregnancy. If the results from that study don't ease your mind, I don't know what will.

I will clarify that I'm strongly against drinking or smoking cigarettes during pregnancy, and before I educated myself, I was strongly against Marijuana as well. Since it sounds like you live in a state/country where at least medical is legal, you can purchase oils to drop under your tongue, edibles, or even a vaporizer so that you can take it as medicine without any of the lung fears of smoking it. In many countries (first and third world alike) Marijuana is used as medicine for pregnant women, largely for the treatment of HG.

If you are dehydrated, I would suggest checking yourself into a hospital to get your fluid levels where they need to be, but my opinion is that Marijuana will greatly help you, it helps me.

I completely agree with you.

I know this is a big issue right now, but think of all the synthetic drugs and medications some women take to get pregnant/ovulate/stop ovulation (hormonal birth control). there are far worse things that we can-- and do-- put into our bodies, and it's considered completely normal. drugs that have horrible side affects are advertised on TV and at doctor's offices every day.
this is one of the most natural and helpful things you can put into your body. I'm glad research is starting to back that up.

I think you should defininatly try, it is the safest all natural medication out there. Imagine all those chemicals in nausea meds. Medical marijuana is medicine, and it's safe in pregnancy. I've taken it before in both of my previous pregnancies, the only reason I havn't this one is it's not legal in Texas and I hear they drug test at the hospital. I don't know if that is true, but I'm better off safe than sorry. It's a shame it's still classified here as an illegal drug, where in some states it is considered a medicine. I have had several friends that used it for that reason during pregnancy, and their children are just fine. I'd eat it in a capsule as a concentrate. Do you live in a med state where you could get it at a dispensary? If notm Google how to make it into butter, you'll find lots of recipes. You can also make cook it in milk and drink it in coffee. The oil capsules may go down easier. Who cares about judgement, people are going to judge if they are judgy no matter what. It doesn't hurt baby at all, and this is from experience. I hope it works out for you good luck!

I'm actually very surprised and impressed by the positive attitudes in this post. The only reason I'd not suggested MMJ to anyone in any other post was for fear of backlash. The only reason I even take Zofran is because I was trying to wean off of the Marijuana and now of course I'm not taking any Marijuana at all for the sole purpose of passing my drug screen at my OB appointment. At the place I've chosen, they screen at the 12 week appointment and if you're clean the do not test you again, or the baby. I plan on using it all the way through until at least 28 weeks and then wean myself off for delivery, in case anything were to go wrong, I don't want the chance of me or baby testing positive.

It's so silly that the government instills so much fear about a helpful medicine, when hard things like Meth or Cocaine go through the system so quick that they hardly ever test positive unless the mom is hopped up on it at the time. And alcohol abuse is only taken seriously if the baby displays fetal alcohol syndrome symptoms. The only reason Marijuana is still federally illegal (In the states) is that the pharmaceutical drug industry would lose billions, but I'll save that rant. lol

I'm actually very surprised and impressed by the positive attitudes in this post. The only reason I'd not suggested MMJ to anyone in any other post was for fear of backlash. The only reason I even take Zofran is because I was trying to wean off of the Marijuana and now of course I'm not taking any Marijuana at all for the sole purpose of passing my drug screen at my OB appointment. At the place I've chosen, they screen at the 12 week appointment and if you're clean the do not test you again, or the baby. I plan on using it all the way through until at least 28 weeks and then wean myself off for delivery, in case anything were to go wrong, I don't want the chance of me or baby testing positive.

It's so silly that the government instills so much fear about a helpful medicine, when hard things like Meth or Cocaine go through the system so quick that they hardly ever test positive unless the mom is hopped up on it at the time. And alcohol abuse is only taken seriously if the baby displays fetal alcohol syndrome symptoms. The only reason Marijuana is still federally illegal (In the states) is that the pharmaceutical drug industry would lose billions, but I'll save that rant. lol

I'm surprised too! I'm all for medical reasons of using, just not abusing. I am a firm believer that there are so many cures out there for diseases but the industry wants that money! My aunt had vaginal cancer. Everyone told her to not do chemo but douce with the liquid marijuana stuff and guess what? Her cancer was gone within 2 months and hasn't returned. That was 4 ish years ago
EDIT: My aunt was pregnant when she had the cancer and douched while pregnant. Her son is perfectly fine.

My belief is that they'd find so many cures if only the government would allow it. Sure it's not a miracle drug, but it's pretty dang close. And of course as with anything, not abusing it is the key. Even Twinkies would be detrimental to your health if ingested in excess :)

When my dad was dying of cancer back in the 70's, he smoked it for the nausea and pain. My mom was pg with me at the time, and smoked some herself, lol. I've turned out mostly normal, lol. Just be very careful where u get it. You don't want to get it from just anyone who might have laced it with something. I live in the states, and Colorado is the closest place to get it legally. There is medical maijuana, but it usually comes in pill form with other stuff.

Tough decision...

I have friends who have smoked their entire pregnancies and delivered perfectly healthy babies... however, their children are still fairly young so I don't know if they have any long-term side effects. But honestly, if I had to bet on it, I would say that there really isn't any.

Honestly, the biggest concern I would have regarding this, is the baby having THC in his/her system when he/she is born, causing all sorts of unnecessary stress with possibly child&family services. Now, out of all my friends that have smoked during their pregnancy, only one has had this issue and she was a known drug user (when I say drug user I don't mean weed, I mean a variety of pills and synthetic drugs) prior to pregnancy and I believe she was also snorting Percocets (she won't admit to it though). I'm not sure if testing a newborn for drugs is just standard procedure or if she was just red flagged because of her history.

I personally don't use any type of drugs (besides a bit of caffeine :winkwink: or an occasional tylenol), but weed really is the "lesser of the evils". Even though I'm a strong believer in science, technology, and chemistry... if I HAD to chose, I would probably rather smoke a natural plant than swallow a lab created pill.

It really just comes down to personal preference and what you FEEL is the right thing to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->