Medised! Eeeshh

KX

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere but I didn't realise Medised is now "banned" for under 2's along with Calpol Night!:blush:

When Rebecca was chocked Medised was great at bringing up all the crap in her throat and nose and she was under 2 :dohh:

Anyhoo just thought Id share-the pharmacist will no longer sell it to people wanting it for their under 2's as there has been a few deaths in the past 10 years due to over dosing :cry:

(Medised never knocked Rebecca out it had the adverse effect at times, she went hyper!Altho she does the same on Calpol think its the sugar!:rofl:)

EEEEKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!

Got this last week for my 6 month old daughter and the pharmacist didnt say anything! She only had it at night for a few days anyway to help with her breathing!

Thats going in the bin now then.

Thank you.x

Will be keeping mine. Great stuff when chid is full of cold. Just because a few have overdosed should not mean it is no longer available. If we go down that line then nothing will be left! If they have found contra indications then thats a different thing

Well I only bought mine from Boot sonline a couple of weeks ago along with the online pharmacy asking for DOB not only that the bottle states the age and dose.

Bloody hell! So erm what are you meant to give your little ones now GRRRRR!! My Caitlins teething I'll be damned if I leave her in pain!

IF we give her it we have only done 1 dose in any 24 hours not even half of what the allowance is on the instructions in that time.

This was as of last weekend ladies!

I have binned mine, Im not even going to give it to Rebecca who is over 2 now, not pumping her body full of that crap. ANd btw its not overdosing as giving them half a bottle or something, people were following the guidlines on the actual bottle-ie between 5-10mls every 4 hours, and the over dose happened given the babies the 10ml dose as STATED on the bottle-so we are not talking skanky mothers od'ing their baby for a good nights sleep, we are talking about people who like US followed the guidelines on the bottle. Put their comatosed baby down and the baby slipped away :cry:

Calpol all the way for me now!

Oh we only give 2.5ml

Did calpol work for you? I hate the 'two' seperate bottles idea then again the night time has just been banned for under 2 as well!

*sigh*

I think its all down to common sense with dosing, you don't give a small baby the full dose of a medicine, untill you know how it affects you baby, then you can adjust accordingly.
Ewan has had medised and calpol since 1 yr old, and even now he only has 5ml or slightly more if a cold is really affecting him.

I wonder how many parents have given Calpol and medised too close together.

I dont think the media gives out the full details of what has happened, and probably the parents either.

Like all medcines it will affect some more that others, a small dose will knock one person out and have no effect on another.

I will carry on using Medised, i actually prefer Medised over Calpol.. Calpol tends to make Ewan a bit hyper.

Only found one news article but I'm in a rush this AM

https://www.theherald.co.uk/news/ne...gh_remedies_withdrawn_amid_overdose_fears.php

Not looked at this one proper yet but another medicine article (Mynxie posted some info somewhere too)
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7315924.stm

I think its all down to common sense with dosing, you don't give a small baby the full dose of a medicine, untill you know how it affects you baby, then you can adjust accordingly.
well I would fail at the first hurdle then as I would niaively believe that if it tells meto give my child 2.5ml every 4 hours then that was the correct dosage. I am not trained in medicine so trust the instructions,it wouldn't occur to me to adjust the dose accordingly and I consider myself someone who has some common sense (though my OH would disagree).

not just those two. Seren had a cough and I went to the chemist who advised that I should give her a certain medicine. I asked if it was safe to give with calpol and was told it was,only to be told by another pharmicist that it wasn't.

Like all medcines it will affect some more that others, a small dose will knock one person out and have no effect on another.
wouldn't these be maginfied in under 2's due to their bodies being so small, isn't this why they are erring on the side of caution?? Like I said I am not medicaly trained so don't know.

Since the cough medicine debacle I have not really used anyhting, will use the odd sachet of calpol if Seren is pretty unwell but try and use other things before. If she is congested I like to use olbas oil or a decongestant rub instead of medicine, for a cough I give her honey now she is over the age of 1 (cough medicines have been shown to be ineffective anyway). Wobbles, for teething pains I swear by the homeopathic teething powders you can get in boots (Seren is getting more back teeth through at the moment and is so grizzly, these just help her out).

Dunno maybe i read labels too much! but it says on the label not to use with other medicines containing paracetamol.
you can use paracetamol and ibuprofen as a staggered doseage.
I'm medically trained in animals not people, but if i was giving Ewan a new medicine that said 'Give 1-2 5ml spoonfuls' i would only give 5ml as an initial dose not 10mls, then i would see how he reacted to it.
But that is now i have always dealt with medicines even for myself.

I always trust what the labels say as you would think they would have been tried and tested to the max...obviously not!:dohh:

Dunno maybe i read labels too much!

nice highlight of my slack approach to parenting ;) :rofl:

I think that because they are so easy to buy perhaps somepeople think of them as "safe" drugs iykwim, the same way some people don't think taking a few extra paracetomol will do harm, whereas it can have serious consequences on the liver. And whilst most parents are able to give it safely some don't and this has worst effects on very small children. Not sure where I stand TBH.

I never realised to what extent the amount of medicines being pulled!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/l...ews.html?in_article_id=546909&in_page_id=1797

Are you actually "safe" giving anything these days?!:dohh:

nice highlight of my slack approach to parenting ;) :rofl:

I think that because they are so easy to buy perhaps somepeople think of them as "safe" drugs iykwim, the same way some people don't think taking a few extra paracetomol will do harm, whereas it can have serious consequences on the liver. And whilst most parents are able to give it safely some don't and this has worst effects on very small children. Not sure where I stand TBH.

I understand.
I wonder how many parents have 'given just a little more to help her sleep better' i know it sound awful, but i expec there are some.

Ewan only has it if he is really under the weather, although i gave him some at the weekend as he fell over hit his nose and gave himself a bloody nose.:dohh:

I just took Caitlin for her jabs & brought this up with HV who was baffled & said she was going to enquire about it now! She got some mini handbook out and she said under 1 should not be given more than 2.5ml happens that for some reason prior I always had this in mind... Medised 2.5ml Gripe 5ml yet I've come home & read the Medised bottle saying half (as in 2.5ml) to 5ml .... so anyway on a mission I took a dander over to the pharmacy and he too looked at me baffled so this info hasn't hit all the health professionals before plastering it on the news :confused: he actually RANG someone and came back to me and said "seems so that if its for under 2 we should not sell but plah plah plah" the "plah" was exactly what came out of his mouth lol Followed by "a caution procedure".

So based on my asking 2 people who should know I'm again a little pift at the media and lack of communication between those that should be - You know the one says one thing another says something different.

Then theres the fact Calpol have not updated what is important information surely??
https://www.calpol.co.uk/en/latest.asp?section=25&ct=2
^ Now I see where I got 2.5ml from as I origanally bough Calpol not Medised.
Not only that but the night time up to 12 months [edit I said 2 I mean 12] is 2.5ml not 5ml
https://www.calpol.co.uk/en/article.asp?id=391

Medised I think have updated info but theres no real alert to those who may not be aware of this yet.
https://www.medised.co.uk/faq.asp
2 years to under 6 years – 1-2 5ml spoonfuls 3-4 times daily
6 years to under 12 years – 2-4 5ml spoonfuls 3 times daily
Under 2 years – on doctors advice only

You mean at the same time?

The fact both are used for the same thing would suggest only one is needed - I'd be baffled if anyone did that only sense would tell me not to :confused:

I see no reason for a no no to say a cough & pain killer at the same time/different medicines esspecially if someone is saying its ok.

Ohhh I'm on one this is 4th post ina row lmao! :blush:

But where I said:

Then theres the fact Calpol have not updated what is important information surely??
I was just thinking bloody hell Cow & Gate send letters to all people signed up the website that they changed the design of the bloody cartons! Why aren't we getting things alike for this kind of information!

*Im leaving now - promise* :lol:

For Adults I would mix say Ibuprofen and Paracetamol. But not a mixture even though docs reccommend (in some cases) Medised and Calpol for children.

My Medised has just been launched in bin now. I worry far too much. I will give her honey and lemon for colds and sore throats and Ashton and Parsons for Teething as they work well. Bloody medicine needs sorting this does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->