Meeting with LO pediatrician

SRTBaby

Reaction score
Well, we had LO's 4 month appointment yesterday, he is just over 4.5 months. The nurse came in and weighed and measured him then the doctor came in after. Well, he does the usual, checks his spine, his testicles, his ears etc and says he is very healthy and i don't need to see him until maybe next year!

Anyway, so he says, well you could start him on solids, he weighs as much as a 6 month baby and his lenght is that of an 8 month baby! He was 18lbs.

Well, first of all, i thought he will see him more during his first year, we have community nurses and we have frequent appointments with them but what he implied is i can see him a year from now. I can obviously see him if LO is sick or when needed but one whole year seems too much.

Secondly, LO is not ready for solids for sure, plus if he was as much as a 6 month baby i surely shouldn't be rushing to solids. He is not chubby at all, his weight is well distributed.

And third, is it common with babies to be this big? I didn't even have enough time to ask questions because he moves really fast.

Now i am confused whether to seriously start solids, i really don't want to:nope:

Does anyone else have the same experience, what did you do?

Mine was just as big (he is now 24lbs at 7.5 months), we did BLW at 6.5 months and he did just fine :) My doctor recommended weaning at 6 weeks due to his size (no that's not a typo, LOL) so many doctors don't brush up on new recommendations. Nothing wrong with weaning at 20 weeks IMO but I preferred to wait and the size didn't interfere.

18lbs is a little large, but not unheard of. If you don't think he's ready for solids then I wouldn't start them yet either. And as far as not needing to go in for another year - what about his needles? There's needles at 6 months and 1 year.

Mine was just as big (he is now 24lbs at 7.5 months), we did BLW at 6.5 months and he did just fine :) My doctor recommended weaning at 6 weeks due to his size (no that's not a typo, LOL) so many doctors don't brush up on new recommendations. Nothing wrong with weaning at 20 weeks IMO but I preferred to wait and the size didn't interfere.

Thank you Aliss, i really don't think he is ready for solids.
6 weeks weaning!! that is crazy i can't believe he even suggested that. LO was only 7lb 8oz at birth. My Doctor kept telling me i will have a big baby, he came to see me after i had the baby and couldn't believe he was under 10lb lol! He took too much space on my tummy, i think i will stick to my 6 months BLW.

18lbs is a little large, but not unheard of. If you don't think he's ready for solids then I wouldn't start them yet either. And as far as not needing to go in for another year - what about his needles? There's needles at 6 months and 1 year.

Thanks Kmac we have community centres and community nurses close to home that we go to for vaccination and just basic checkup and parenting programs. The doctors don't provide vaccinations.

If you think he's not ready then there's no harm in waiting! Weaning early can be essential for preemies who missed out on some nutritional development in the womb or other medical reasons but "big baby"... nah. At least not mine. And you know he's not ready so that's fine. BLW is a lot of fun :) I'm glad we waited. I started off with TW too soon (5 months) and he hated it. It's not fun if he's not ready.

Thanks Kmac we have community centres and community nurses close to home that we go to for vaccination and just basic checkup and parenting programs. The doctors don't provide vaccinations.

Ah okay. I didn't realize that it was that different in Alberta compared to Ontario.

Well, we had LO's 4 month appointment yesterday, he is just over 4.5 months. The nurse came in and weighed and measured him then the doctor came in after. Well, he does the usual, checks his spine, his testicles, his ears etc and says he is very healthy and i don't need to see him until maybe next year!

Anyway, so he says, well you could start him on solids, he weighs as much as a 6 month baby and his lenght is that of an 8 month baby! He was 18lbs.

Well, first of all, i thought he will see him more during his first year, we have community nurses and we have frequent appointments with them but what he implied is i can see him a year from now. I can obviously see him if LO is sick or when needed but one whole year seems too much.

Secondly, LO is not ready for solids for sure, plus if he was as much as a 6 month baby i surely shouldn't be rushing to solids. He is not chubby at all, his weight is well distributed.

And third, is it common with babies to be this big? I didn't even have enough time to ask questions because he moves really fast.

Now i am confused whether to seriously start solids, i really don't want to:nope:

Does anyone else have the same experience, what did you do?

We just have Ava's 4 month appointment a few weeks ago and our doctor said she sees babies every two months for the first year. We have to go back for a six month 8 month 10 month and 12 month. We will also go to the East Edmonton health center for her vaccines. Im surprised your doctor said he did not need to see you until next year.

If you think he's not ready then there's no harm in waiting! Weaning early can be essential for preemies who missed out on some nutritional development in the womb or other medical reasons but "big baby"... nah. At least not mine. And you know he's not ready so that's fine. BLW is a lot of fun :) I'm glad we waited. I started off with TW too soon (5 months) and he hated it. It's not fun if he's not ready.

Definately not ready i will hold it off and try at 6 months, thanks.

Ah okay. I didn't realize that it was that different in Alberta compared to Ontario.

I didn't know it was that different, maybe it is my doctor that is different, see the reply below. The vaccinations are mostly done at the community health centres foe sure.

We just have Ava's 4 month appointment a few weeks ago and our doctor said she sees babies every two months for the first year. We have to go back for a six month 8 month 10 month and 12 month. We will also go to the East Edmonton health center for her vaccines. Im surprised your doctor said he did not need to see you until next year.

Good question yourstruly, he is a good doctor but i don't know why he would say that. I live in the east edmonton too but my doctor is in downtown. My sis inlaw has always used her family doctor with her babies maybe i will go that way myself too. The pediatrician said i could see him anytime if i needed to, i don't want to look like a crazy mom going to see him with simple questions. I just like the schedulled visits cos i can ask all the questions withouth feeling :wacko:

Our 4 month LO is 13.5 lbs and our Dr. today told us if we want to start weaning that is great and to have fun with it. She advised that research has indicated an increase in allergies when weanings held off to 6 months. She noted that of her own 3 children her first was weaned at 3 weeks (3 weeks!) and the other two BF'd until 6 months - and only her later two children have allergy issues. I'm not trying to incite a debate but clearly there are mixed views on this subject - I just thought I'd mention it as I too had always heard 6 months, 6 months.

In view of our converstation with her I think we might start to gently introduce a tsp of rice cereal as she recommended. :flower:

By the by - we see our Dr. again at 6 months and hey I'm also from Alberta - hello neighbour!

Our 4 month LO is 13.5 lbs and our Dr. today told us if we want to start weaning that is great and to have fun with it. She advised that research has indicated an increase in allergies when weanings held off to 6 months. She noted that of her own 3 children her first was weaned at 3 weeks (3 weeks!) and the other two BF'd until 6 months - and only her later two children have allergy issues. I'm not trying to incite a debate but clearly there are mixed views on this subject - I just thought I'd mention it as I too had always heard 6 months, 6 months.

In view of our converstation with her I think we might start to gently introduce a tsp of rice cereal as she recommended. :flower:

By the by - we see our Dr. again at 6 months and hey I'm also from Alberta - hello neighbour!

Wow! Murphy, weaned at 3 weeks? It is so confusing, all i have heard is early weaning causes allergies and your doctor just said the opposite.

I think starting with cereal is a good idea, my Alberta Health link feeding guide suggest 1tsp of runny cereal a day to start with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->