Mental Health in Pregnancy - Support Thread

M&S+Bump

M & S + Baby Joe = Family
Reaction score
Hi ladies :flower:

Seems to be a bit of a taboo subject but I'm sure I'm not the only one so thought I'd start a safe place to vent, discuss symptoms and get support for those of us who struggle with this.

I am newly pregnant with #4 and have struggled with depression ever since I can remember. It was dramatically worse post-partum with #1 and was officially diagnosed with PND after both #1 and #3.

I intend to stay on my medications for most of my pregnancy unless advised otherwise by my doctor (she has already cleared it but I will be monitored) - weaning off in third tri and back on post-partum if required.

Anyone else? How are all you ladies doing?

(I realise this is on the first tri board but not limited to just first tri - mods feel free to move it if it'd be better suited elsewhere)

What a fab idea. I'm a mental health nurse and it's fab to see honesty and openess with mental health.
I suffer myself with anxiety, ocd and bouts of depression it flares quite badly with hormones. I for one am staying on my medication throughout, fluoxetine. It has very very low minor risks associated which based on evidence they are not even sure is linked to the medication. My gp tried to take me off it as most gp's are not mental health trained so will just go off the medication leaflet, which as with 99% of medication will advise against. However speaking with consultants it's ok and I'm staying in my maintenance dose.

Medication isn't for everyone but in conjunction with my other talking therapies it works for me.

I just don't get the taboo if I had a physical illness there would be no medication slating if o continued those medication to keep me well so I see it in the exact same light for mental health.
I feel if we treat the two physical and mental as the same the stigma with mental health will end.

I think it's fab you have started this thread and you seem to have great insight into your mental health and what works for you.
Treating mental health appropriately in pregnancy will help people avoid crisis during and after pregnancy x

I'm also glad someone started this thread. I use to be one of those people who thought medication was for "weaklings", until I went through a traumatic incident that changed everything. I tried years of talk therapy, vitamin therapy, yoga, religious exploration, natural antidepressants - you name it. I'm basically an expert on alternative mental health at this point. Finally, out of desperation, I tried prescription medication and it was the only thing that lifted me out of a nearly catatonic depression. I tried multiple antidepressants, and have been on zoloft (a fairly low dose) for about a year. My OBGYN insisted I stay on it at this point in the pregnancy, and says the risk to the baby is very low, and honestly I'm glad I'm on it. I think it's somewhat selfish to be on medication while pregnant, but the alternative is sometimes worse. I think not being on it could potentially destroy my marriage and I would certainly be unable to work. So the alternative is....not having children at all. And maybe I should have chosen that, and sometimes I wish I would have, but it is what it is now, and I'm hoping for the best.

Cnote it sounds like you have taken a very informed choice. If every person who required medications didn't have children they'd be millions of sad people. I don't think medication and pregnancy is selfish I think it's the opposite, you are making a decision to be the best person and parent you can be. Medication isn't selfish.
I take medication for mental and physical health problems and I used to feel guilty but after a talk with consultants and my colleagues I see now it is in fact the bravest choice and I'm making the best decision for me and my family xx

Hi ladies.

Yes, as common as all these things are, people don't ever talk about them. It seems like every other person is on some kind of anti-d or anxiety pill (medications have to be declared on our disclaimer) Personally I don't understand what the big deal is. I'd rather people knew so they know when I'm acting odd that's why.

I might talk to my GP again, I've already spoken to her and she spoke to my consultant and they've advised cutting down my dose (I'm on flu too) but it's below what works now and I can feel it.

Medication for me was a last resort, I was so resistant to the idea but had a bit of a breakdown and bawled in my doctor's office and just asked her to help me, whatever she thought, I couldn't carry on any more. I've tried the full rig of talking therapies and while some like cbt had a temporary effect, everything stopped working quite quickly. The problem is I know the things in my life that have led to certain aspects of my personality, so none of what the shrinks say is any kind of revelation - knowing why doesn't fix it for me :wacko: The pills have given me my life back and I wish I'd done it years ago. I actually think my brain chemistry has always been a bit broken and stuff just added to it along the way, so the wonky chemistry needed to be fixed at the source. I remember feeling bouts of depression as a very small child and my phobias stem back pre-memory as well (so earlier than 3) so I'm convinced I was born this way!

Cnote - like Dani says, if it was a physical illness that required medication, no-one would question you being on it through pregnancy. You wouldn't be expected to suffer a broken leg without painkillers! People who don't have it just often don't understand why we can't just 'cheer up'

I am hpd diagnosed recently and was never on any medication until now, I was so scared about having another baby in future as I'm petrified of coming off the meds and getting back to how I was. Does medication harm pregnancies?

M and s bump, I have a dysfunctioning hypothalamus which affects my serotonin levels, although not proven I feel this is why I have the conditions I do. As without ssri medication I really struggle.

Baby blonde. With personality disorders they vary which treatment is used as there is so many different variations and it can interaction differently with each person, your symptoms and main concerns may be different to someone else so medication will vary.
Different medications have different effects some cannot be used at all during pregnancy but you will be forewarned about this. There are other medications and treatments that can be used with full informational decisions during pregnancy, so honestly don't worry, your consultant will help you xx

Well, I've decided to go off Zoloft. And not get on another medication. The doc weighed me today and I've gained 25 lbs in two years. I was horrified. I still wear clothes from 2 years ago, so I had NO idea. I eat well, don't give into cravings, I exercise everyday...the only thing I can think of is the Zoloft. I don't know how much is baby weight/bloat. But it doesn't matter. Gonna start tapering off ASAP and can only hope I can return to my old self someday. God, what a crappy day.

I hope it works for you Hun, however keep an eye on any recurring symptoms and nip them in the bud straight the way, you don't want it spiralling especially with good old pregnancy hormones. Make sure to keep on top of all your coping mechanisms too lovely. You'll be fine xx

Thanks so much for your support! I really do appreciate it. Honestly just seeing that scale made it so not worth it. If I start to go nuts I'll ask my doc what I can do. I'm on a pretty low dose as it is (50 mg), so I imagine scaling it down to nothing over time won't be too, too bad. I recently did that with xanax and it worked out ok. Work is what I'm worried about...I'm stressing about it constantly, even with medication. I still haven't told work about the pregnancy and although I doubt they'll fire me over it, they definitely won't be happy about it. I guess in the big picture it doesn't really matter; it's just a job! I can always get another one. Anywhos, thanks again :flower:

LOVE this thread! Pregnant with baby #3, and have had major anxiety in the past which forced me to leave the career I busted my ass for (police officer). Am now a sahm since late 2014. Depression suddenly crept back up a couple weeks ago, so was given Zoloft yesterday from my doctor and am starting it tonight. I was taking Celexa (sp?) a couple years ago but stopped during my previous pregnancy.

Cnote, I've heard that being a side-effect of lots of meds. It's one of the reasons my doctor picked Prozac for me because she knows I also have a past of disordered eating, and Prozac doesn't seem to cause weight gain, just about the only nasty side-effect it DOESN'T have :haha: Wishing you all the best for your tapering!

Hi Greats! :wave:

I'm now over a week on the half dose, and one nice thing I've found is that less Prozac actually means I don't need my anti-anxiety meds as much - I haven't taken one for a few days and haven't had a panic attack or even much in the way of palpitations and stuff. My mood is dipping but I'm not sure how much is to do with hormones (I'm crying at everything) and how much the reduced dose. Other than mood swings, side effects have been fine. I was worried about insomnia but that seems to have been balanced out by first tri tiredness.

I could really murder a glass or seven of wine though :wine:

M&S - congrats on your week with the half dose! That's great that your anxiety and panic hasn't been bad. Tapering can be so scary because the result can go either way...but I really do think the first trimester lethargy actually helps minimize those classic panic symptoms...

Weight has always been a fixation for me too. At my lowest I was 109, and as of right now I'm 147 - the highest I've ever been. However, I'm actually fit because I work out daily, so I had no idea my weight was so high. I noticed clothes fitting tighter, some much tighter, but they are still clothes I wore when I was 125! So I thought - at worst I'm 135. I had no idea it had gotten so bad. My husband says 10 of the lbs must be water weight from the pregnancy but I doubt it. I wish I would have known the Zoloft would do this...

Anyway best of luck to both of us on our tapering (not sure if you continue to taper), and hopefully we will both emerge sane and stable, or even better than before!

Greats how r you doing? I have anxiety and depression and after my first was born I had very bad PPD. Our first was planned and it took three years with fertility drugs to get prego. I stopped my meds then. This one was not planned and just happened. I was in shock and still think I am. My husband has hard time dealing with being "neglected" after first one. He loves Nick but battles mental illness himself and refuses treatment.
Ok fast foward to today. I was on Cymbalta for past 3 years. Doing great on it. I am weaning of it but now I am scared that I will have relapse especially since I don't have my husband support. Are you taking zoloft now. Is it helping? I am so afraid to be on meds but then I read that depression and anxiety is not good for it either. Any advice would be appreciated. Heck I am crying while I am typing this.

BTW my sister in law was on Zoloft her first entire pregnancy and Cymbalta with her second. Now she has two great kids boy 10 and girl 4.

So beyond happy this thread has popped up! 4 years ago I was diagnosed with severe anxiety and depression, drug and trauma induced psychosis and sporadic OCD. I was taking Seroquel as well as Lexapro. I ended up going through another highly traumatic event at the beginning of 2012 and now have PTSD and an ABI to add to my every growing list. I stopped taking my meds because I hated the way they made me feel nothing and like a real life zombie. Then I fell pregnant after almost 3 years and got PPD. I went on medication briefly but didn't continue. I still suffer now with all of my mental health conditions however it's gotten to a point where I just block it out and feel nothing anymore.
I've considered seeing someone again and getting back on medication but I'm very unsure.
My husband also had mental health conditions that are yet to be diagnosed from childhood trauma and some horrible things in adult life. We are currently separated due to them and he is seeing someone but is yet to start medication.
My psychosis has become non existent now that I'm no longer taking illicit substances or drinking alcohol and only flares up when my PTSD does. I haven't seen anyone since my original diagnosis, I was very young and it was all so scary. Mental health was far more taboo back then and I felt like a freak. In a lot of ways having my son helped a lot but also made things worse. That coupled with my husbands issues, have morphed my problems into other sources.
My biggest concern right now is how little I feel about it all. About everything really. It's almost like, after everything I've been through, my brain can't take it anymore and has just switched everything off, so I no longer feel anything. Happiness, sadness, all of it. Apart from the anxiety and PTSD, I have no emotions anymore. In a lot of ways, I feel this is much worse than having all of the feelings? Everyone in my life has all but forgotten about everything I went through because I've put on the brave face, followed by the emotional block, so it's kind of like it all never happened.
Anyway, it's nice knowing that I'll be able to have a safe place to come and talk about all of this, with people who understand. Not like most people now days who self diagnose and basically make a mockery of true mental health. It's almost like the stigma breakdown has made people feel like they can just throw around the words to get attention or feel special?
Sending much love to all of you beautiful ladies xx How're you all going at the moment?

Hi ladies. After 6 mc I definitely dealt with severe depression and anxiety. I got through a lot of it took a year plus off to heal. I am 14+4 and starting to get some anxiety. I'm not dealing with depression at the moment but I'm very cautious with my space and my mental health. I know how easy it is to go back down that slippery slope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->