Metformin Weightloss

mindgames77

Reaction score
I was just looking to see if anyone has had success with weight loss due to metformin? My doctor told me it should help.

Aside from the obvious benefits of eating healthy and exersising' (which I plan to do) did any of you successfully lose weight on metformin with out becoming healthier first?

I ask just to time out the change of lifestyle as cause for weight loss. I have already begun eating healthier and jogging daily.

Basically include any information about weightloss related to metformin. Thanks!

I was put on Metformin back in Feb- And I havent really changed much of my lifestyle other then walking more and I went from 198 to 167 pounds. Now I'm working more to lose the weight a little faster.

Wow....I've been hearing quite a bit about drastic weight loss.

I mean to me, it would be wicked if it just let me lose like 5-10lbs all on its own. But almost 30! And I've read someone lost 50lbs!

I am definitely going to jumpstart this weightloss with more activity and healthier eating choices! Its about time!

Ps.

I also weigh 198.

I want to ultimately weigh around 140-150 but would be happy at 160 too.

Uhh I take it back...apparently I gained weight again...

Yesterday I weighed 197.5 and today I weigh 198.5

I'm beginning to think that something is up. I gained 6 pounds in the past two weeks (before starting Metformin) and that is not like me at all. I sat at 189 for almost 3 years. The beginning of this year I slowly gained to weigh 194lbs and then suddenly I'm 198.5.

So discouraged. I haven't done anything worse then usual, if anything I've been more active and my eating habits haven't changed at all.

Dont be discouraged, My weight did that too when I first started out, My doctor told me to start eating 5 to 6 small meals a day (to keep my metabolism up) and it took my body a couple weeks to get used to eating at different times each day. Also I've been told that a womans body can gain/lose up to 5 lbs of water weight every other day.

I would def say along with the metformin to stay active also, I've noticed that it helps take the weight off a little quicker then met alone :)

What kinds of meals do you eat and how small? I tend to be a rather consistent snacker.....I eat food that isn't outrageously unhealthy like cake and such, but rather something like cheese and crackers, when instead I should be eating carrots.

Also today I have KILLER heartburn. I have been eating toast with jam on it every morning I took Metformin except for this morning...I had Corn Bran cereal with skim milk...

And then I had a few cheese and crackers and drank two full glasses of water, and have had heart burn ever since. I tried eating some toast just now to see if eating would help but its only gotten worse. Not sure if its the metformin or just me!

hum... I've never had a problem with heartburn while on metformin. So im not exacty sure there.

But i usualy eat "serving portions" of food for 3 of the meals -breckfast, lunch, dinner- and a few snacks like cheese/cracker, or a sliced apple with cream cheese. and also every now and again i have some kind of candy- but only in very small amounts. and always stay hydrated too, thats always good.

Well, here's hoping I have as much success as you!

We have two very energetic young dogs, and we make it a MUST to walk them everyday (or they get way too rowdy!) We don't have a big yard for them so we take them every evening for a "walk". My OH is in a wheelchair so since he can move faster, I usually bike. He gets exersise that way, but I don't. So I've decided my exersise is more important, so I now walk, or try to jog instead of bike. I say try, because I get killer shin splints when I jog.

So I'm hoping going for a 40min walk every night will help things move along!

Can i ask is metformin a weight loss medication? or is it to treat a condition? im extremely overweight and would like to look in to this :)

Metformin is a drug to help control the insulin levels in diabetics.

It however, is also prescribed to women who have been diagnosed with PCOS basically to regulate the menstrual cycle without acting as a birth control.

That is why I was prescribed it.

One of the bonuses of the drug, is it can help with weightloss!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->