Midwives "on call" question ...

chattyB

Reaction score
Hubby and I are currently having a debate.

I'm due on the 9th Jan (currently 38 weeks). The midwife has informed me that they'll not be "on call" for my homebirth until 2nd Jan (39 weeks) and will remain on call until 40+12.

I'm pretty sure that the 39 weeks on call dates are purely due to Xmas/new year staffing levels and holiday commitments along with 3 other mums to be booked in for homebirths around the same period. I was told earlier in the pregnancy that the midwives would be on-call from 38 weeks (today).

When did your midwives go on call for you? Am I being unreasonable in thinking that 39 weeks is cutting it close? I really don't want to miss my chance of a homebirth if my baby decides to join us within the next few days. I told hubby that if this is the case and labour starts, I'll be staying at home regardless, call the coordinator and tell them to send someone out as I'm refusing to go in to labour ward. He's very nervous about it all and doesn't want to upset "the establishment" by going against their wishes.

What would you do??

If mine had gone to plan the kit would be dropped off at 36+6 and they would be on call any time after that. I would do the same as you, their staffing levels are not your problem.

Think mines alittle diffrent. My midwife handed me HER on-call dates, if however I go into labour any other time, someone else will be sent...

there staffing issues are not your issues. stay home, what the point in bookin a homebirth if you can only do it on certian dates because its what suits them. you sure its not, that YOUR midwife wouldent be there other that them dates, you cant expect your 1 midwife to be on call for 5-6 weeks every night without a night off just incase.

Someone else will come. x

No, she explained that this is a "blanket cover" - if I go into labour before the 2nd Jan, I need to go to the unit. My midwife has given me her rota (she's on call on 5 dates during my dates for HB) other midwives will attend between 39 - 40+12 if she's not on call.

Getting a little nervous about it all now as I've been niggling for the last few days with periods of contractions lasting a good few hours and coming every 5-6 minutes before tailing off again - I've decided that I'll stay home regardless, they'll just have to arrange to send a midwife out to me. If they're getting "funny" about 39 weeks now, what's to say they won't try the same if I call at 40 weeks informing them I'm in labour??!!

I hope they don't think I'm a soft touch - with a history of fast labours, I'd rather deliver unassisted than risk delivering in the back of a car on the motorway.

I am in Scotland. My gas and air will be dropped of at 38 weeks and midwives on call for 4 weeks from then (2weeks before dd and 2 weeks after) .

And that's my point! I'm in Glasgow. Pretty sure they've "moved the goalposts" to suit the Christmas holiday staffing rota. If always been led to believe that they'd be on call between 38-42 weeks :)

My midwife told me that any time after 37 weeks was fine. I really don't understand why they're telling you it has to be after 39 weeks. Full term is 37 weeks and logically baby could come between 37-42 weeks (well obviously before then is still a possibility but 37-42 weeks is the standard range).

Personally I would do the same as you if baby were to make an appearance any time soon.

Told my midwife about this, and she was shocked. Sounded to her like a distric of midwives who would rather you go to hospital because its easyer for them. Thankgod my mifwifes not like that. Stand your ground!... Its whats best for you, not for them x

Does sound incredibly mean. I can call ours any time between 37 - 42 weeks.

My worry with mine is if they are both already attending a birth already, I would be advised to go to the hospital :cry: unless they were just packing up or about to swap shift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->