Milk spraying and other issues

Jaymelynn

Reaction score
I have assumed that I have an overactive letdown since I started bf-ing. He often coughs while feeding and has a lot of mucous in his poo. For the past 1.5 months or so I have been only using 1 breast at each feed. Where he will take it for about 10 minutes then comfort suck. It was getting better until this past week. He has been coughing and fussing while eating again with all mucous poos. I notice my milk is spraying with great force out of many ducts and for a long time. I try squirting some into a towel, but it takes a lot for the spraying to stop.

Lo still wants to nurse all the time. It is hard to tell when he is hungry. He has NEVER refused the breast or even unlatched himself. I feel like a terrible mom because I cannot figure out his hunger cues. I feel like I am always guessing if he is hungry and when he is done eating. I wasnt planning such a long post, sorry.

to help with overactive letdown you could try feeding your LO while he is sitting upright on you. Let gravity help with some of the force. Or lay on a reclining chair and nurse in a more upright position. And what you are doing with a towel is good as well. Once the gushing has stopped put him back on. You could try block feeding. Use one breast for a block of time. Like during a four hour period of time put LO on the same breast. And then after 4 hours use the next breast for 4 hours. You could try that for a couple of days and then try going back to regular nursing.

I do sit him upright, but I have not tried a reclined position. I will try that. I only offer one breast at a time so it is like block feeding, but not for that long. Wont the other side be engorged and more likely to spray? But I can try for a few days- thanks!

You could always hand express the other side to relieve the engorgement. Just enough to relieve the pressure.

For a few days it might be more engorged however it will settle down once your breasts know you don't need so much.
Or if you're like me you'll have oversupply and fast letdown the whole time and lo will cope better as he grows.
Lying back can help.
I would say when you have the first feed of the day leave him to come off on his own. It may take longer than you think. Or if he really doesn't you could wait til he's stopped actively sucking, winsd and offer again. Following a decent feed in the morning you should reliably have at least an hour before he will want to feed. You could try playing, singing or walking round looking at things. I found around that age I was not sure what to do with ds asthe past 8 weeks had been feed feed feed and rock to sleep. They start to want other things and at first any movement and he had a Boob shoved in his face, lol.
Watch for his mouth making signs he's hungry routing or looking a bit tired and offer the next feed. You might find it helpful to write down feeds and length of to see if you see a pattern, it might reassure you. Xx

It is funny how I posted this and the spraying issue only happened for the first feed on each side in the morning. He also slept 7 hours straight so I think that was the cause. We stayed in all day because of a snowstorm and he was content playing and doing other things that he was not constantly trying to eat. He consistently rooted when tired, fed and napped. Maybe the wanting to eat all the time is related to him being overstimulated and overtired when we have a busy day. Also he feel sleep at each feed so I knew he was done, haha. Lets hope for more good days.
RaspberryK- I will try! Dont take him off even if he is comfort suckling?

I'm glad you had a better day. Yes they do get easily overtired and over stimulated.
I used to let ds comfort suck a lot. And even when I thought he was done he used to swallow a little milk after maybe 6 little sucks if I watched carefully xx

It is hard when we are out. I am still getting used to nursing in public and I do not want to rush him. But I am never sure when he is done. He will not fall asleep when we are out, but he will try to "hang out" on the boob all day lol.

I found my lg went through a stage of doing that when out am about. I put it down to her becoming aware of her surroundings and thus becoming unsettled when out and about. She just wanted the reassurance of booby. Sometimes she wouldn't even feed she'd just want to be cuddled up to a boob! I stopped going out so much for a week and the phase passed.

I found my lg went through a stage of doing that when out am about. I put it down to her becoming aware of her surroundings and thus becoming unsettled when out and about. She just wanted the reassurance of booby. Sometimes she wouldn't even feed she'd just want to be cuddled up to a boob! I stopped going out so much for a week and the phase passed.

I think that might be it! I use a nursing cover so it might be the reassurance of the boob and getting away from the distraction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->