Mini MIL rant

curlykate

Devin's Mommy
Reaction score
Ugh.
That's all I can really say about my MIL right now.
To start off... my MIL is a wonderful lady. She'd do anything for her kids and grandkids (and pretty much anything that I asked for as well). I don't normally have a problem with her, but every so often she gets under my skin, and just annoys the hell out of me.
Every once and a while, she gets somewhat possessive. She's almost creepy when it comes to babies. If there's a baby in the room, she HAS to be holding it. Or, if she can't, she will be sitting right beside whomever is holding it, and staring at it. Literally STARING. When LO was first born, she spent so much time staring at him across the room, that she was physically unable to eat while visiting. We'd all be done our supper and dessert, and she would have only taken a few bites. And this is her 4th grandchild in 5 years...so it's not like she hasn't had her share of babies lately.
If LO was upset, SHE had to be the one to pick him up and try to comfort him. Even if he was upset because he wanted myself or OH. When she did get her hands on him, she'd take him away from me. One instance that really stands out in my mind is when we were at the college, watching OH play a game of basketball. She was sitting beside me with LO in her arms. LO started reaching out for me, so she stood up and walked away with him, trying to distract him so that she didn't have to hand him back to me.
It's all the little things like this that drive me nuts. I know they're not big things, but they add up after a while!
Anyway, she cooled down for a bit, but it seems to be picking up again lately.
The other day I changed my FB status to:
I don't know how it's possible, but I fall more in love with my little man every day. Being a mommy is the best!
A few friends replied that they felt the same way about their LOs, and we were all basking in the happiness of being new Mommies.
Then MIL pipes in with:
Actually children are special but grand babies are even more especially loved, especially my grand babies.
Now that may seem fine, but knowing the way MIL is, she basically just said she loves my son more than I do! I was fuming, but decided to ignore it. Then a few days later, we were at the cottage, and MIL said to LO "I know Mommy thinks she loves you, but I love you more." Um...excuse me??!! Again, I just let it slide, but now I'm regretting not saying anything.
Then the other day I posted a picture on FB of LO sleeping on the floor. He was sick, and when I changed his diaper, he fell asleep right there, so I wrapped him up in a blanket, and let him rest. Again, my friends made comments about their kids doing similar, and about how they hope he's felling better soon, and then MIL pipes in with:
actually his daddy used to do that !! Denver would go and go and go.... until he just was worn out and then we'd find him sleeping somewhere on the floor...so for those of you who know Denver,he really hasn't changed much and now he has a son just like him !!
This is right after I've commented that LO never does this, and only did it this time because he was sick.
Again, this doesn't seem like much, but she's always trying to act like she knows more about LO than I do. She'll tell people stories which aren't true, and then when I try to correct her, she'll make a comment about how she's had 4 kids, so she knows. And if I try to tell her something, she'll say "Oh yes. Yep. I know". Even if it's something LO has never done before!
She'll also try to undermine me. If I ask her not to do something, she'll wait until I have my back turned to do it. LO used to play games in his highchair, where he'd tilt his head back and forth, wanting you to copy him. It was cute, but one time he did it, he choked on what he was eating!! So I asked everyone to stop that game when he was in his chair. If you don't copy him, he'll stop. I had to ask (and then tell) MIL 4 times to stop! Even after LO choked again on food, she still kept on doing it. I even explained to her why I wanted her to stop. It's not like I was just being a b*itch, and not wanting her to play with her grandson!
It just gets under my skin! I know many of you have MILs from hell, and you guys have much more right to be complaining, and I have a great MIL, but sometimes she just gets under my skin. I haven't complained about her for all 14 months of LOs life, so I just felt the need to have one rant!
Don't worry about commenting (If you've even made it this far), I just needed to get that out!

Well, that turned out to be not-so-mini! lol

MIL said to LO "I know Mommy thinks she loves you, but I love you more."

This is too far!!
Mommy THINKS she loves you? How bloody dare she.
I would have had to call my MIL up on that one and asked her exactly what she meant by saying that!

I should have called her out...but things have finally started going well between OH and I after a few rough patches, and I didn't want to cause even more friction between us. Normally, I would have said something.

gosh that would drive me mad!!! i would just say to back off if that was me! i understand your frustration darlin xxxxx

Whoa, she sounds...overbearing. I'm surprised you haven't had to rant about her before!

I could of wrote that...that is exactly how my mil is...frustrating hey. x

:hugs:

The whole she loves LO more than you is waaaay out of line. I would have been upset, too. Have you talked to OH about it, at all?

oh wow at that point i would of snapped back with "no Mummy DOES love you nanny if just a weird freak who likes to use grand babies as her babies"

The whole she loves LO more than you is waaaay out of line. I would have been upset, too. Have you talked to OH about it, at all?
At the time, I was hoping it would all die down again. OH and I have had a few fights about his family. There's nothing wrong with them, they just do things differently than my family. MIL is much more nosey and in-your-business than my family is. While they're good-meaning, it just drives me insane. So I have no "real" argument against them, other than I just get sick of being around them. Not exactly a great argument.
Like I said in a previous post, OH and I have had a bit of a rough time since LO was born. There were several times where we almost called it quits, but managed to work things out again. Things are going particularly well at the moment, and I didn't want to "stir the pot" again. However, if she keeps up this bs, I'll have no problem mentioning it to OH, or MIL.
The more I think about her comment, the more it bugs me. Which is kinda difficult, seeing as I was pretty ticked off about it when she said it!

Some of those comments are way out of line - particularly the one about how she loves him more than you. I think I would have had to have said something.

But you KNOW that she is deluded and talking a load of cr*p....

Just say "yeah, right" and smile (whilst mentally rolling your eyes).... ;)

Sounds a bit like my MIL: amazing woman, fantastic with DS, but often sees what she wants to see and says the most silly things....

Don't want to cause friction with MIL, so just laugh about it instead...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->