Missed twin at 5 week scan?

Lana Farrell

Have1 boy,expecting twins
Reaction score
I'm 5 weeks 3 days pregnant after my first cycle of IVF. I had two 5 days blasts put back. I've had extremely bad cramps, bloating, low stabbing pains and shoulder pain and difficulty breathing at one point! So I went my epu at nearly 4 weeks pregnant and they scanned me, they saw free fluid and very enlarged ovaries but no pregnancy. A second scan at 5 weeks showed a gestational sac in my uterus measuring 7mm! I was overjoyed. There was also more free fluid near my tubes and ovaries and my ovaries were 'kissing'. They couldn't see the second embryo and told me they can't be sure it's not in there somewhere!!! So have told me to go back for scan at 6 weeks and 3 days.
So my question is has anyone ever been in this position before?
And can a twin really be missed on an early ultrasound?

It's entirely possibly the early!! There are stories all over the net missing one at 5 &6 weeks!! I hope they find it! It's also possible that it didn't take and was reabsorbed!

Hi just wanted to update this post incase it's useful to anyone in the same position. So I had my next scan at 6 weeks 3 days and straightaway we saw two sacs and two heartbeats!!! Shock shock shaky OMG... And breath and cry in relief. So 5 weeks was too early to see both at the same time on the scan. I know this may sound silly but at my 5 week scan for a split second I'm sure I sAw a flash of the other sac but the sonographer didn't notice?! And just focused on the one sac. Also I had no spotting or drop in hcg (that was being regularly monitored) I tried to grieve for the other embie but it felt wrong. I held hope and kept my faith and knew feel down they were both there. My symptoms have been quite strong too so that's a sign too I guess!

Amazing news, congratulations! :happydance: Mothers intuition is a powerful thing. Xx :thumbup:

For sure teacup! Mothers intuition should never be doubted. The oh kept on saying I should stop trying to convince myself about embie number 2 and just focus on the one that's implanted. But I knew :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->