Mobile phone for 7 year old?

highhopes19

Reaction score
Isabelle has asked for an iPhone for Xmas :shock:

At first I was completely against the idea- main reason I felt she was too young and she doesn’t go anywhere to need one.

However on holiday recently she made friends with a little girl (she’s 8) they live a few hours away from us and they’ve been keeping in touch face timing each other. The little girl has a phone and Isabelle uses my phone. Such a lovely family and we’re spending a few days with them before Xmas :)

She’s asked for an Xbox also for Christmas so she can play minecraft... thinking about it i think I’d rather get her the phone and limit the time on that to say an hour a day to FaceTime her friend, watch a bit of YouTube rather than her sit for hours in front of a tv playing xbox! We have a PS4 downstairs and likes to occasionally use that it’s a nightmare to get her off she’s completely zoned into it which is a pain, so really don’t want to put a games console in her bedroom. I think I’d find it easier to take away a phone than an Xbox. She’s very mature for her age so I know she would be sensible and of course I would be supervising her. I’m not talking a brand new iPhone the one she wanted was I think an iPhone5s the same as her little friend.

I’m really in 2 minds I can’t bare the thought of another console in the house though

My DD has been asking for a phone when she turns 7 (Feb). I'm not getting her one as she has a tablet and doesn't have any friends that have phone's, so I can't see the point. She'd also probably lose it!

Fortunately she's not that into consoles, apart from the odd Lego game on the Xbox. It drives me mad when she's glued to YouTube on the tablet though!

I wouldn't quite go for an iPhone, maybe an iPod Touch? Same features just can't ring out. Facetime etc is still possible.

DD1 (now 7) has had OH's old Galaxy S7+ for about 8 months so far because she dropped her tablet in her sick bucket :X he upgraded his phone and decided to give her that to compensate.

She’s got an iPad already but it freezes a lot of time which she finds really frustrating, she doesn’t use it as much as I thought she would
I find her so hard to buy for she’s never been into toys she does love Lego sets which is on the list, I’ve always found her so hard to buy for over the years I’ve spent a ridiculous amount on toys I thought she would love but she’s just not into many of the things her friends are like barbies, dolls etc. She’s definitely a tom boy bless her x

If she has an iPad, then she doesn't really need an iPhone as she can facetime from that, plus it's bigger! What if you give her an App store voucher for her to purchase games (or something else) from there? It may encourage her to use it more. If she has no intentions of taking it out, then the phone is really out of use and no will doubt turn unused like the iPad.

DD1 is the same, it doesn't help that majority of the things being sold nowadays are more collectables than playful toys as such.

As above I’d probably go for an iPod touch over a phone. Can still FaceTime her friend via the iPod and access YouTube etc too. Is her iPad an old model if it freezes frequently? Perhaps you could just get her a newer one in the hope it’ll be used for multiple purposes if it works properly. Games, educational apps, reading, YouTube and calling her friend in one.

One word. Nope.

My dd1 (almost 8) has been asking for a phone but I've just told her absolutely not. She has a tablet. She doesn't need a phone and wont be getting one.
She uses my phone to talk to her friends, I don't want her being obsessed with a phone because that's basically what happens when a kid gets a phone

Thankyou my lovelies, I’ve decided against it now also. I’m not sure how she is going to react Christmas Day but I’m sure she won’t notice as she’s got lots of other lovely presents. She uses my phone anyway to talk to her friend, she has a tablet so that’s now been taken off her list.

All daisy has asked for is train and a Santa balloon bless her x

I had no idea you could facetime with an ipod touch. Dd1 has been asking for a phone to facetime her wee friends after school and I've always said no but this could be a fab idea. Thanks ladies xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->