Modern names pet peeve

Kallie3000

Pregnant! Rainbow #1
Reaction score
My pet peeve:
I think that if you take a normal name (eg. Mary) and spell it weird (eg. Mahrhea) you aren't making the name more unique, you are just being a pain for spellers. Originality is the name, not the variation on spelling. What do you guys think? I'm not a fan of the new unique, yoonick, ooneeque names that are out there!

I wouldn't know if its unique or just Gaelic lol

sometimes it can be nice, my sons name is cain - i dont hate the name but dont like the spelling (OH choice) i would of preferred:

Kaine
Kayne
Kane
Kain
Cain

in that order but all are acceptable spellings (I like e's in names and K's just look better to me)

It depends how "unique" it is. Your example is extreme and I agree, quite silly. However there are plenty of names with various spellings that may not be to everybody's liking, but I do like how names are spelt in a more "unique" way.

For instance:
girls spelling Erin as Aeryn - Doesn't seem too crazy to me.
Makenzie instead of the "normal" Mackenzie actually looks better to me
Jordyn vs Jordan as if gender plays a role in the spelling variation? Not sure on that one
Addalynn (Leah Calvert - Teen Mom 2) vs Adaline, Addilyn, etc. Seems a bit much in my opinion, but still doesn't bother me.

All in all, everyone has their own opinion. I personally love the name Mikaelyn and many people think it's silly to combine names such as Mikaela and Lynn. Oh well :)

I agree 110%!! If you're going for a traditional name, spell it traditionally or at least logically. It'll be a pain in the kids life to ALWAYS spell their normal sounding name and to always see it misspelled by others. Some names just have different ways to spell them anyways so why mess with it? Like Katherine, Catherine, and Katheryn, but I hate seeing Xakary for Zachary or Aaylyvya for Olivia or Izayah for Isaiah. Yea. I've seen all of those. Poor kids.

Have you heard of this one? Brace yourself op...

La-a prounced La dash a...

oh and Abcd prounced Ab cee dee....

Go figure...

SOMETIMES SOME PEOPLE MISTAKE CULTURAL SPELLINGS AS 'UNIQUE' SPELLINGS SO I DON'T TEND TO COMMENT ON THEM INCASE I OFFEND ANYONE

FOR EXAMPLE THE EXAMPLE YOU HAVE CHOSEN TO USE IS ACTUALLY A FRIEND OF MINES MUMS NAME Mahrhea (THEY SAY IT MARR-RE THOUGH AND NOTHING LIKE MARY) THEY ARE PAKISTANI AND EVEN THOUGH MY FRIEND DID STATE THAT EVEN IN THEIR CULTURE ITS CLASSED AS A MADE UP NAME BUT THAT IS ONLY BECAUSE IT IS THE PAKISTANI VERSION/DIRECT TRANSLATION OF A WESTERNISED NAME (I CANT REMEMBER WHAT FOR AS THIS CONVERSAION WAS HAD MANY YEARS AGO WHEN I FIRST MET HER MUM LOL)

GAELIC NAMES ARE SPELT A DIFFERENT WAY DUE TO THE FACT THAT BACK WHEN THE GAELIC LANGUAGE WAS COMMONLY USED CERTAIN LETTERS OF THE ALPHABETH DIDNT EXIST SO THE CREATED SOUNDS USING CERTAIN LETTER COMBINATIONS TOGETHER. SO TO SOME THIS MAY SEEM LIKE A 'MODERN' CHANGE OF SPELLING WHEN IN FACT THIS IS ACTUALLY HOW A NAME SHOULD BE SPELT.

FOR EXAMPLE PEOPLE COMMONLY MISTAKE NIAMH AS A STRANGE MODERN RESPELLING OF NEVE/NEEVE WHEN INFACT THE ORIGINAL NAME/SPELLING IS NIAMH AND NEVE/NEEVE IS THE MODERN RE-SPELLING.

SO JSUT A WORD TO THE WISE, DONT ALWAYS ASSUME A NAME IS A RE-SPELLING OF A SIMILAR SOUNDING NAME AS IT COULD JUST BE A CULTURAL THING.

ANOTHER EXAMPLE IS SOMETIMES PEOPLE CHANGE THE SPELLING TO REDUCE THE RISK OF MIS-PRONUNCIATION. MY DAUGHTER IS KAYDEE, THE ORGINAL SPELLING IS CADY, IT IS INFACT AN IRISH NAME BUT WHEN I WAS CONTEMPLATING THIS NAME EVERYONE I SPOKE TO THOUGHT IT WAS PRONOUNCED CAD-EE AND I DIDNT WANT THAT SO CHANGED THE SPELLING TO THE WAY IT SOUNDS KAY-DEE THUS MAKING IT LESS LIKELY FOR MIS-PRONUNCIATION AND ACTUALLY ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVE COMMENTED ON HOW PRETTY HER NAME LOOKS (WELL SINCE SHE STARTED SCHOLL ANYWAY LOL)

OOPS SORRY FOR THE CAPS, AT WORK AND CURRENTLY DOING THINGS IN CAPS AND FORGOT TO TURN IT OFF!

SOMETIMES SOME PEOPLE MISTAKE CULTURAL SPELLINGS AS 'UNIQUE' SPELLINGS SO I DON'T TEND TO COMMENT ON THEM INCASE I OFFEND ANYONE

FOR EXAMPLE THE EXAMPLE YOU HAVE CHOSEN TO USE IS ACTUALLY A FRIEND OF MINES MUMS NAME Mahrhea (THEY SAY IT MARR-RE THOUGH AND NOTHING LIKE MARY) THEY ARE PAKISTANI AND EVEN THOUGH MY FRIEND DID STATE THAT EVEN IN THEIR CULTURE ITS CLASSED AS A MADE UP NAME BUT THAT IS ONLY BECAUSE IT IS THE PAKISTANI VERSION/DIRECT TRANSLATION OF A WESTERNISED NAME (I CANT REMEMBER WHAT FOR AS THIS CONVERSAION WAS HAD MANY YEARS AGO WHEN I FIRST MET HER MUM LOL)

GAELIC NAMES ARE SPELT A DIFFERENT WAY DUE TO THE FACT THAT BACK WHEN THE GAELIC LANGUAGE WAS COMMONLY USED CERTAIN LETTERS OF THE ALPHABETH DIDNT EXIST SO THE CREATED SOUNDS USING CERTAIN LETTER COMBINATIONS TOGETHER. SO TO SOME THIS MAY SEEM LIKE A 'MODERN' CHANGE OF SPELLING WHEN IN FACT THIS IS ACTUALLY HOW A NAME SHOULD BE SPELT.

FOR EXAMPLE PEOPLE COMMONLY MISTAKE NIAMH AS A STRANGE MODERN RESPELLING OF NEVE/NEEVE WHEN INFACT THE ORIGINAL NAME/SPELLING IS NIAMH AND NEVE/NEEVE IS THE MODERN RE-SPELLING.

SO JSUT A WORD TO THE WISE, DONT ALWAYS ASSUME A NAME IS A RE-SPELLING OF A SIMILAR SOUNDING NAME AS IT COULD JUST BE A CULTURAL THING.

ANOTHER EXAMPLE IS SOMETIMES PEOPLE CHANGE THE SPELLING TO REDUCE THE RISK OF MIS-PRONUNCIATION. MY DAUGHTER IS KAYDEE, THE ORGINAL SPELLING IS CADY, IT IS INFACT AN IRISH NAME BUT WHEN I WAS CONTEMPLATING THIS NAME EVERYONE I SPOKE TO THOUGHT IT WAS PRONOUNCED CAD-EE AND I DIDNT WANT THAT SO CHANGED THE SPELLING TO THE WAY IT SOUNDS KAY-DEE THUS MAKING IT LESS LIKELY FOR MIS-PRONUNCIATION AND ACTUALLY ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVE COMMENTED ON HOW PRETTY HER NAME LOOKS (WELL SINCE SHE STARTED SCHOLL ANYWAY LOL)

OOPS SORRY FOR THE CAPS, AT WORK AND CURRENTLY DOING THINGS IN CAPS AND FORGOT TO TURN IT OFF!

Ha! thought you were REALLY ANGRY, hence the Caps :haha:

I like the spelling of Kaydee, its cute! Kaydee makes sense as its phonetic and will be in her favour at school when she has to spell her name etc. What gets me annoyed is when people change the spelling for no reason other than it makes the name look more "unique", like adding in extra letters (theres a Madeline on here with this, sorry :blush:) the poor kid will be explaining the spelling of their name for years to come, especially as the "unique" spelling makes no difference to the pronunciation of the name.

And dont get me started on made up names, no one has thought of the name for a reason; its awful! (ahem :blush:)

....for what its worth, my LO is Logan which is Gaelic and spelt the most common way (cant see how you could alter it in fact!), and the bump will be Eric (which has a ton of versions for spelling but with a C is more recognisable a form of the name in English-speaking countries at least, as its Norse).

I like unique spellings, as long as you can pronounce them. If they're going to get mispronounced the entire kids life then yeah, it is probably better left with the original spelling. It seems there are trends also like the Emileigh, Hayleigh, Ryleigh, Ashleigh, etc. They are cute and easy to pronounce, but I don't like how it has become "the thing" to do.

I like unique spellings, as long as you can pronounce them. If they're going to get mispronounced the entire kids life then yeah, it is probably better left with the original spelling. It seems there are trends also like the Emileigh, Hayleigh, Ryleigh, Ashleigh, etc. They are cute and easy to pronounce, but I don't like how it has become "the thing" to do.

Ashleigh isnt a trend its the correct way to spell the name lol

its a UK name

Ashleigh is a girl
Ashley is a boy

I generally prefer the more traditional spelling of names, particularly if they're common names that have a 'usual' spelling, for example I know a Kristopher who constantly has to correct people who spell his name with a Ch and he hates it!

But this is the point, they may be easy to pronounce but the spelling will make it difficult for the poor kid for most of their life. I had issues and my names Charlotte, not even fancy just long!

( btw the name Torrin is cool, I was considering it for this sprog, spelt Torin as apparently it the english version of Thor, very cool!)

I agree to some extent, some names are spelt rather daftly imo, for instance, I know a Prezlee (girl), I happen to quite like the name Presley, and imo spelt the traditional way looks a lot nicer too.

I have had my fair share of spellings and misprounciations for my eldest daughters name
Shany
Shanny
Shannie
Shaynee
Sharnie
Sharni
:dohh:.

Shani (the original and 'proper'spelling) is pronounced 'Shay-nee', but most people say Sharni. I often wish I had spelt it Shayni so that people would pronounce it correctly...

I was born with the normal spelling of Courtney. When i was in grade 10 my mom lost my birth certificate, and now its spelled Courtnie. Talk about hastle at the time trying to get everyone to re learn the spelling. Some people still dont get it 6 years later

I was born with the normal spelling of Courtney. When i was in grade 10 my mom lost my birth certificate, and now its spelled Courtnie. Talk about hastle at the time trying to get everyone to re learn the spelling. Some people still dont get it 6 years later

how?

i dont understand how that would happen lol,

ive been looking recently to change my sons birth certificate because my name is wrong as i had two as a child (my parent divorced) and they used the wrong one but birth certificate can only be replaced with an exact copy, no change to the name came be made (unless in witness protection or have undergone a sex change)

its a major pain in my ass as i can prove he my son and the fathers name can be changed just not the mothers :growlmad:

however the only change to a persons name has to be within the first year of there life after that you can legal change a name but the birth certificate cant be altered

A name, in Canada at least, is your legal name if it the one you are generally known by. My last name actually changed from a hyphenated long version to a hyphenated short version, with no legal name change.

Most re-spellings are fine, obviously ethnic dpelkings are great, and I would never say anything to a parent about their kids' names. However, there is definitely a trend to make some pretty bizarre letter combos, along with randomly adding z's and y's especially. Having a hard-to-spell first AND last name I feel like giving kids an arbitrarily hard name is just mean!

A name, in Canada at least, is your legal name if it the one you are generally known by. My last name actually changed from a hyphenated long version to a hyphenated short version, with no legal name change.

Most re-spellings are fine, obviously ethnic dpelkings are great, and I would never say anything to a parent about their kids' names. However, there is definitely a trend to make some pretty bizarre letter combos, along with randomly adding z's and y's especially. Having a hard-to-spell first AND last name I feel like giving kids an arbitrarily hard name is just mean!

yep same here, your legal name is what your know as but the one on your birth certificate cant change (i assume its the same in all western countries for the same reason)

example:

say you're born - Mary Anne summers
and you want to be called - Lucy Marie-ann summers (or anything really)

you can as long as you have someone respected to varify your not doing it to escape debts or deceive (doctor, policeman, council man etc...) you receive a second certificate that goes with the birth certificate to show that your legal name is different to your birth name.

the reason the birth certificate cant change is it is legal proof of you history of existence as logged in the government census, if people started changing there birth certificates they would be no way to keep a historical record on who alive and who is dead

there's genuine issue to that as well when my granddad died we tried to get a death certificate only to find we couldn't because he didn't legally exist as he had no record of birth, he had been issued a changed birth certificate at 18 so by law and records didn't exist until then (we dont know why but it has to be a big reason maybe he was a institution baby born out of wedlock or something)

how?

ive been looking recently to change my sons birth certificate because my name is wrong as i had two as a child (my parent divorced) and they used the wrong one but birth certificate can only be replaced with an exact copy, no change to the name came be made (unless in witness protection or have undergone a sex change)

its a major pain in my ass as i can prove he my son and the fathers name can be changed just not the mothers :growlmad:

however the only change to a persons name has to be within the first year of there life after that you can legal change a name but the birth certificate cant be altered

I have no idea, I know she had to pay for it though.

how?

I have no idea, I know she had to pay for it though.

thats very strange, and i bet quite annoying - can you not complain? lol

Well my name is Kori, and I love it spelled that way cause it's unique. BUT it's also still spelled phonetically correct lol

My biggest issue with bad name spelling is UNEDUCATED people's spins on what otherwise would be a nice name. Like for instance this lady named her poor daughter Shythaid... HOWEVER the dumb b***h actually spelled it Shithead. True story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->