Modern names pet peeve

I agree with you Kallie- my name isn't the easiest because it is a Hispanic name and so I am constantly having to spell it, and then tell people the correct way to pronounce it. I hated it growing up-I was a shy kid and having to correct everyone or in general being the center of attention just because of my name was terrible for me. I always wished I could have been a Natalie or something else that you could find on a keychain somewhere lol.

It seems unfair to me to name a child something common and spell it differently just for the sake of individuality- you never know if your child will embrace it or hate it, I've met both ends of the spectrum.

That being said, I do value individuality in the sense of using a name that isn't on the popular charts, but using the correct spelling of that name and using a name that looks like it sounds.

I too am not including ethnic names in my post other than of course my own!

I agree! I love the idea of a different and unusual name, we will pick one ourself for our baby, but I don't feel the need to take a 'normal' name and spell it strangely. I'm not talking about ethnic/cultural variations, but names that have been purposely spelt differently in order to make that child stand out. It has become so common to have a strangely spelled name nowadays that it is actually not unique at all! Don't get me wrong, some of the names I hear are lovely, but if you pick that name why not just spell it how it is supposed to be spelled? I'm not talking replacing an I with an E or Y or whatever, but when people try to spell names 'just to be different' seems a bit crazy to me! For instance, someone I know called their child An-Druew. If you want to call your child Andrew then just call him that! Had to bite my tongue lol, luckily we are not close friends!

I dunno about the spelling phonetically thing either, really...I knew someone who named their girl "Awbree" instead of Aubrey. To me, it just looks like the parents didn't know how to spell, since Aubrey is a pretty "normal" name and most people know how to pronounce it.

I dunno about the spelling phonetically thing either, really...I knew someone who named their girl "Awbree" instead of Aubrey. To me, it just looks like the parents didn't know how to spell, since Aubrey is a pretty "normal" name and most people know how to pronounce it.

I generally prefer the more traditional spelling of names, particularly if they're common names that have a 'usual' spelling, for example I know a Kristopher who constantly has to correct people who spell his name with a Ch and he hates it!

This could also be cultural though. In Scandinavian countries, where Christopher is also a traditional name, its spelled Kristoffer.

I also knew a Swedish girl named E-v-a but it was spelled "Ewa." (unfortunately) because she lived in Canada, and people would look at her name and think it was "Ew-uh." :haha:

I'm Jamie-Lee.... so glad it's not Jaymee-Leigh, Jaime, Jaimee etc.. because the first guess when people are writing it down is the way mine is spelt. Hallelujah!

I'm more annoyed I have two boy names put together haha! But this definitely annoys me too.

I generally prefer the more traditional spelling of names, particularly if they're common names that have a 'usual' spelling, for example I know a Kristopher who constantly has to correct people who spell his name with a Ch and he hates it!

This could also be cultural though. In Scandinavian countries, where Christopher is also a traditional name, its spelled Kristoffer.

I also knew a Swedish girl named E-v-a but it was spelled "Ewa." (unfortunately) because she lived in Canada, and people would look at her name and think it was "Ew-uh." :haha:

yep, people always forget a swedish w is pronounced v

when i was pregnant i liked the name Yngwie pronounced Ing-vi (vi like in violet) but people hated it a kept pronouncing it Ying-we :dohh:

I agree to a certain extent. Unusual spellings can be lovely but I think when modern spellings actually make it difficult to work out what the name is then you have a problem. Some of my family have the less common spellings of Kara, Debi, Abbi and Tiia but you can still recognise the name iykwim. I would also like to name one of my girls Kaitlyn but that is to incorporate my name and my OH's name.

Yes it could be but it wasn't in this case...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->