moms with new babies or LO's born within last couple years

jzgrace

Reaction score
Its been about 15 1/2 years since dd1 was born, and almost 11 years since dd2. I was wondering how/if things have changed. When my girls were born they whisked them away right away. Dd1 was gone for an hour and dd2 almost 3 hours. Also I feel like there was alot more care in the way of ultrasounds, inquiries on health and concern from my docs. But with this pregnancy years later my docs now seem so nonchalant about everything. I dont know. It just seems like so much has changed since I had my girls. Do they still whisk baby away for such a long time? I havent had an ultrasound since 20 weeks, is that the usual thing now? It feels like im a ftm all over again. Getting nervous already.

I can't see where you are as I'm on my phone but my experience is that the baby is only taken away if there is an issue with baby. Otherwise, baby is put straight on to you for skin to skin and bonding. I had ds in theatre with forceps and while I was being sewn up, dh took him to recovery and had skin to skin time with him for half an hour or so til I was finished. With DD, she was more straightforward and I held her while I was stitched. She was never out of my sight. Afterwards, they were both beside me in a crib on the ward.
Xx

There was no whisking away of babies here and I had c-sections. I think I would be inclined to to rip someone's head off if they even dared to suggest taking my healthy baby away from me. Why did they take yours? Were you upset?

Neither baby ever left my side for the 4 and then 3 days I was in after the sections.

Unless there is something wrong or concerning we don't get scans beyond 20 weeks in New Zealand.

with my first i didnt have scan after 20wks an he was always with me ecept when took him for hearing test hes now nearly 3. With no 2 i got more scans due bein high risk (growth scans), she was again with me whole time an i even was there for hearing test, shes now nearly 2. We were home before this so had take her hosp for it unlike my son were we were still in hosp due me developing severe pre e in labour. This preg ive had extra scans 28,32 an nxt at 36wks. Some one told me they are going up scans soon if not already.

They left dd with me when I had her. Someone brought a diaper and put it on her and a LC came to help me get started with breastfeeding. They didn't even put a name bracelet on her which scared me lol. They did eventually take her for a bath which took longer than expected as they ran out of baby clothes...normally here the hospital provides clothes and parents only bring going home outfits.

Where I live we get a quick u/s in every appointment. but that's in private hospitals...public ones only scan twice in the whole pregnancy.

Last pregnancy with ds I had a scan at 6 weeks for dating, 7 weeks due to unable to date at preg us, 12 weeks, 20 weeks anomaly scan, and 36 weeks growth scan, and last on due date also growth scan. I was high risk and preg by fertility treatment, hence all the scans. They were also concerned about size, thought he was 10 pounds. I ended up having an emcs and ds was brought to me then taken to nursery for tests due to labor issues. My DH stayed with him the whole time. I was reunited with both DS and DH in recovery. He was only taken away from me once after that for another test.

This preg no fertility treatments so no early dating scan, but still high risk. Only have had scans at 12 weeks dating, 20 weeks anomaly, and 31 weeks growth scan. No more scans for rest of pregnancy. I was also told during a tour of the hospital that their procedure with elcs is to give baby to me for skin to skin. Only taking away when I am ready so they can run quick checks, weigh and measure, then returned to me while being stitched up. Baby will not be out of my sight the whole time and DH gets to stay with me too. I am beyond thrilled about it. :happydance: I am in the US.

There was no whisking away of babies here and I had c-sections. I think I would be inclined to to rip someone's head off if they even dared to suggest taking my healthy baby away from me. Why did they take yours? Were you upset?

Neither baby ever left my side for the 4 and then 3 days I was in after the sections.

Unless there is something wrong or concerning we don't get scans beyond 20 weeks in New Zealand.

I was pretty aggravated that dd2 was gone for almost 3 hours. All I remember ud the nurse telling me "you better give me the baby now, unless you want something to go wrong, she's not holding her temperature well." But she was so mean when she said it. And after that I didnt see her for hours. Dd1 was taken and not brought back for an hour. I never got the skin to skin moments that everyone talks about having now days.

Last pregnancy with ds I had a scan at 6 weeks for dating, 7 weeks due to unable to date at preg us, 12 weeks, 20 weeks anomaly scan, and 36 weeks growth scan, and last on due date also growth scan. I was high risk and preg by fertility treatment, hence all the scans. They were also concerned about size, thought he was 10 pounds. I ended up having an emcs and ds was brought to me then taken to nursery for tests due to labor issues. My DH stayed with him the whole time. I was reunited with both DS and DH in recovery. He was only taken away from me once after that for another test.

This preg no fertility treatments so no early dating scan, but still high risk. Only have had scans at 12 weeks dating, 20 weeks anomaly, and 31 weeks growth scan. No more scans for rest of pregnancy. I was also told during a tour of the hospital that their procedure with elcs is to give baby to me for skin to skin. Only taking away when I am ready so they can run quick checks, weigh and measure, then returned to me while being stitched up. Baby will not be out of my sight the whole time and DH gets to stay with me too. I am beyond thrilled about it. :happydance: I am in the US.

Dd2 was just about 10 lbs. And I managed to push her out. I seriously shook like I was having a seizure while they were stitching me up. Its been so long. I hope babh can stay with me right after he is born.

That is really sad :-(. I hope you get a much better experience this time around.

It seems to be the norm to have baby taken away to be washed etc in the USA and that doesn't happen here in New Zealand as far as I am aware.

They left dd with me when I had her. Someone brought a diaper and put it on her and a LC came to help me get started with breastfeeding. They didn't even put a name bracelet on her which scared me lol. They did eventually take her for a bath which took longer than expected as they ran out of baby clothes...normally here the hospital provides clothes and parents only bring going home outfits.

Where I live we get a quick u/s in every appointment. but that's in private hospitals...public ones only scan twice in the whole pregnancy.

A scan every appt would be so nice. I sure hope I get another one before baby comes it will be nice to have an idea of his size. And how things are in there.

That is really sad :-(. I hope you get a much better experience this time around.

It seems to be the norm to have baby taken away to be washed etc in the USA and that doesn't happen here in New Zealand as far as I am aware.

Awe thank you :) yeah I think that is the norm here. Id like it to have him with me at all times. I was told that the nurses will pop a bottle in his mouth if he is not in the room with me. I would think it would be better for them to bring baby to mom. Another thing different is the hospital tour. They never did that years ago. Im excited for that for sure!
Oh yeah.....ur from New Zealand .... do you like flight of the conchords?

Dd2 was just about 10 lbs. And I managed to push her out. I seriously shook like I was having a seizure while they were stitching me up. Its been so long. I hope babh can stay with me right after he is born.

I had the emcs due to labor issues, lowering heart rate, meconium in waters, ds was sunny side up and not dropping. I was in labor for two days with no success even with pitocen. He ended up being 8lbs 11 ounces. Not the 10+ they thought.

Hopefully you get to have your skin to skin this time. Maybe ask the hospital what their policy is. Or maybe your MW/OB would know? Things have changed over the years, maybe they have too.

What state do you live in? Maybe someone from your area can chime in on what their experience was like. With all the research out there on the subject a lot of the US is seeing skin to skin as important and encouraging it after birth.

I Am in the UK but here they don't whisk baby away, they put baby on your chest right away, unless of course there is a serious problem.

Also here the 20 week scan is the last scan, unless there is a medical reason for anymore.

Before, in my three previous births, they would take baby and clean them up, weigh, meSure, and then give back for skin to skin, but at my tour for this fourth baby, I was told that imediately after he comes out, the golden hour of skin to skin starts and after that, they do the weighing and measuring... So they're starting to change a little bit over time.. Not sure if it's all hospitals..

At my hospital if the baby has no problems, they stay with you for the first hour or two. I even got to watch her shots, bath, etc.

Excuse my naivity but when I watch programme like FRIENDS- in the episode when Rachel has her baby (which was what- 12 years ago now. Goodness) its shows a room where a load of babies are kept? Has that ever/does that ever happen in real life? I know it doesn't here in the UK but of course this is the USA i'm talking about.

I hope people know what I mean!

Excuse my naivity but when I watch programme like FRIENDS- in the episode when Rachel has her baby (which was what- 12 years ago now. Goodness) its shows a room where a load of babies are kept? Has that ever/does that ever happen in real life? I know it doesn't here in the UK but of course this is the USA i'm talking about.

You are referring to a nursery. It varies by state and hospital. The rooms are still there for testing of babies and if mom needs a break for some reason (medical, physical, emotional, etc). Otherwise the baby is kept in the same room with mother, and in some cases father can stay in the same room too. That is how it was last time for me and will be again this time.

its a nursery. I had to fight to get my boys to stay with me. With Ds #1 (almost 12 years ago) everytime I fell asleep they would try to take my son to the nursery or give him a bottle. I hated it! With ds #2 (almost 8years ago) the nurses kept asking to take him to the nursery (so I could sleep, shower, ECT.) but I kept refusing and they still persisted!! I so hope it has changed hope they don't pester me to let them take DD. The only time my sons were out of my sight was for their circumcisions and I was outside the nursery door peeking through the window the whole time.

I had a C-section with DS, and he was with me pretty much most of the time. As soon as he was out, they let me hold him for a minute. They weighed and measured while I was getting stitched up(couldn't hold him even if I wanted to, since I started dry heaving pretty hard from the medication and them messing with my peritoneum) I got to carry him as they wheeled me from surgery into my room. All testing was done in room. The only time I didn't have him with me was when he was circumcised(wasn't gone more than 20 minutes) and they had him in the nursery for a while around 2am the one night DH wasn't there, so I could get a little more rest. Won't do that again! They told me they would bring him back in when he was ready for his feeding. Instead I woke up to no baby in my room and had to call them to bring him back. When they brought him back they told me his blood sugar had gotten a little low, so they gave him a bottle. :growlmad: As a FTM, I had no idea that I needed to be anymore clear than I was that I was strictly breastfeeding. I'm going to make sure this time that my wishes are clearly understood and no one is going to give LO a bottle without even talking to me first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->