Morning Sickness & Prenatal Depression

monkeygirl09

Reaction score
I'm almost 6 weeks along and I am miserable. This pregnancy was a total unplanned surprise and I'm still dealing with the initial shock of it. Not exactly the best timing considering I'm in a serious relationship but not married yet, my boyfriend and I are both not in the best place financially, and I hate my job so much and was starting to look for a new job or go back to school for a second degree - but now I obviously have other more important things to focus on.

I don't know much about pregnancy, but this morning sickness, aka ALL DAY SICKNESS is destroying me so far. Pretty much even thinking about most food makes my stomach turn. I'm already sick of ginger ale, saltines and bananas. All I want to do is sleep. That is the only way to get rid of my nausea.

I was reading a few articles about prenatal depression today. I've been depressed for years but it has been getting worse in the last year or so. I was just finally starting to feel a bit better a couple of months ago - I was diagnosed with a bladder disease called Interstitial Cystitis this last February and I was finally doing so much better pain/emotional wise. Now I feel like with this pregnancy I am sinking back into the depressive state I was in before. :cry:

I hide my nausea at work, but I'm pretty sure that people will figure it out soon. I am fearful of what my parents will say when they find out. I feel sad, lonely, angry, sick and hopeless. I don't want to feel like this. I was on a mood stabilizer for a while called Lamictal but I have basically weaned myself off of it now because it will be safer for the baby.

I guess I'm basically wondering if anyone else feels like this? I hope I don't sound too crazy. I just absolutely hate how I physically and mentally feel right now and I don't know what to do. My boyfriend loves me to the moon and back but I feel there is nothing he can do to cheer me up right now. I don't want to eat, I don't want to be social, and I'm so close to just quitting my job because it stresses me out and I'm so miserable there (not to mention I work over 50 hours each week doing 2 positions because I need the money terribly). :nope:

Id see your gp for anti sickness tablets but how you feel sounds prettt normal with the sickness.

I got HG and was very unhappy and sad the whole 1st, all i did was sleep to avoid being sick.

Hope you feel better

I have a history of depression so every time I have an antenatal appointment the first question is always about my mental health. They advised me that I can do various treatments from drugs to therapy. Nothing is a quick fix though and I know that.

Have you spoken to your health care provider about this? If your feeling low over half the time I would bring it up sooner than later. I get days in this pregnancy where I feel blue, but since they are one off days and I have an insane about of crap going on in my life right now, I really am surprised I'm not even more depressed than I am, that I also put it down to stress.

As for morning sickness, I found for me eating constantly helped. Little and often, I had an apple, then an hour later I'd have something else. Sleeping as PP mentioned also helped. It does wear off soon. With DD I was more or less done at 7 weeks! This time it was more coming up to 11, but my son gave me a virus which didn't help.

:hugs: I'm going through this right now. Ours is a very much planned baby. It's all I've wanted for years. This can happen to anyone.

Like you, I have a history of mental health issues, and have had to lower my dose of antidepressant for the pregnancy.

Like you, I think the vast majority of my misery if because of the sickness. The nausea is relentless, and it's put my life on hold. It slams you in the face, doesn't it? I wasn't expecting that at all, and I'm still in shock at the toll this pregnancy has taken on my body.

I also totally understand the loneliness of it being a secret and having no-one to confide in. That doesn't help either.

My advice is...don't leave this to fester. It can get worse and needs to be taken seriously. Be in constant communication with your gp and with your midwife once you have one. Keep talking to other preggie ladies on here and keep venting about how you feel. If there is anyone in real life you can confide in, do so.

Try to keep as much of normality as is possible while coming to accept that physically you're impaired right now. My sickness is so bad that I'm stuck at home some days, but I'm making sure I still clean, cook and go for a little walk every day.

Also keep the end goal in sight...This gets better. Second tri is better. And do NOT beat yourself up about this...there are loads of us going through the same thing and it's perfectly understandable when all of a sudden your world has changed and even your body doesn't feel like your own.

:hugs: Feel free to PM any time, and don't be afraid to push with the doctors for any extra counselling/medication needed.

You are not alone. My anxiety is through the roof. Palpitations, aggitation, sickness, tiredness and just don't feel with it. This pregnancy was planned but I never thought I'd feel like this. I'm 6+6 weeks. And I'm not going to lie when I say I thought I can't do this because of my mental state :( x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->