• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

mother and toddler groups

Mrs-N

Mummy to Joshua James
Reaction score
we have a mother and toddler group in our village.
i was planning on going but
im just wondering what happens at mother and toddler group?

you just chat with other mums, have a coffee and play with your little ones

they are great! i love going!

i used to go when rhys a newborn too so u dont hav to have a toddler

what do you do if you baby is still a babybaby though? I'm really worried that I'm going to look stupid turning up with my 8 wk old. I'm actually going to one on friday. I am sooo scared! When I say, what do you do I mean...do you just sit and drink coffee? I am so nervous about talking to other mums.

(am so glad you've asked about what happens at them Mrs N!)

We have quite a few that go to ours that have baby babies
Alot of places have playgyms and nests that you can put tinies into, just go along and suss it out, i was very nervous at fiirst but have made some great friends through it

what do you do if you baby is still a babybaby though? I'm really worried that I'm going to look stupid turning up with my 8 wk old. I'm actually going to one on friday. I am sooo scared! When I say, what do you do I mean...do you just sit and drink coffee? I am so nervous about talking to other mums.

(am so glad you've asked about what happens at them Mrs N!)

I was wondering this too! So thanks for posting girls.

Jensen will be 3 weeks old this week - I'm thinking that is way too young? esp. as we haven't really got a routine yet?

But I just want to start going out and doing things as soon as possible, so that I get used to it and not worry about it (have I brought everything, is baby ok in the back, what happens if I have a car accident etc etc)

There is quite a few groups round here, including baby massage, and baby signing (obv. Jensen is too young for signing - but not sure about baby massage etc).

I go to three different groups in the village that i live in and its abit of a relief to go out and have a chat with other moms. I took benn from 8 weeks you basically sit round drinking coffee eating biscuits and having a natter its a good way of getting to know other moms and children in your area. In the groups i go to theres like soft mat areas and baby toys for the babies and toddlers get to run about in a different area.

what do you do if you baby is still a babybaby though? I'm really worried that I'm going to look stupid turning up with my 8 wk old.

There was a 9 week old baby at the group I started going to yesterday!

its never too young to go to a group. our group has playnests/playmats/bouncers for teeny tiny newborns (these are in one corner and are seperated by a large babygate type room divide) and they have huge soft play things/playdough/push alongs for toddlers. today i sat on the floor with ffion in the baby area and watch rhys play whilst i talk to the other mums

We used to go to a bfeeding group when Ryan was younger and are in fact going to a toddler group starting tomorrow, although he is'nt quite a toddler yet.

It's just nice to go and meet other mums even if baby is quite young. Sit around, drink tea and eat biccies :D

I went to a new mums group which was for first time mums and all the babys were born withing a three month period and it was really good! It was with a health visitor and it was a different topic to talk about each week... like one week was weaning, one was playing etc, and on the last week we did a baby first aid course. Ive made 2 really good friends from going, and we go to other groups together now as well :)

Definately worth going :) But Ive found some groups are better if theres someone with you because they can be a bit cliquey.

xxx

I've started going to 2 groups - they are really good. There's bouncers and playgyms for the younger babies. there was a 5 week old baby there today. It's a good way to get to know other people with babies and ask questions about feeding, sleeping etc.

When I had my first baby I went to loads of groups. It gave me a kind of timetable so I'd wake up in the morning and think oh great it's baby massage, or baby signing today or toddler group. I'm sure because I had something to aim for then the baby didn't seem to get so fretful and the whole day seemed easier.
The mother and baby groups were what I really missed when I went back to work. But now that I've had a second son I've got all the excuses to go back again and it's great.
Some groups are friendlier than others and you have to be a little bit brave to go into a room of people you don't know, but it always seems to work out - after all your major talking point is sitting on your lap and if no-one will talk to you at first you can talk to your baby! If nothing else you can have tea and biscuits at a much cheaper price than at Starbucks!
I do remember as a very early Mum going to groups with just a baby and being strangely scared of the toddlers - not really knowing what to say to them. I still have that apprehension with children older than my eldest. So, it's not the adults not talking to me it's the children talking to me that worried me!
Anyway good luck to all those going to their first groups. I'm sure it'll be great!

These groups are great, i've been going since kieran was a baby, the one i went to first was specifically for under1's which is great, he then moved onto the toddler group which is birth to 4years, i took him there and then Paige first came the week after she was born! I now take both on a fri and take Paige on tues (luckly daddy's day off so he has Kieran)We talk about anything usually crap but i'f we need something answering ther is always a HV there. Mine are run by surestart and are great, also made loads of friends from it x

Just wanted to report back - we went to the toddler group this morning and there were more infants than toddlers and it was great fun!!

If Josh is up for the outing - I would definitely encourage you to go.

We go to a couple and they're different to each other. One is in a village hall so they have lots of ride ons and slides, etc. The other is in the local church and has smaller toys to play with. There is usually some craft type things for older ones to do - drawing, painting, etc. and we do singing at one of them.

Really great. I started taking mine at around 4 months. Wish I'd gone sooner but I had a job getting all 3 of us out of the house in time! :lol: I think little ones get a lot from being around older ones and all the noise and hustle and bustle.

We used to go to a bfeeding group when Ryan was younger and are in fact going to a toddler group starting tomorrow, although he is'nt quite a toddler yet.

It's just nice to go and meet other mums even if baby is quite young. Sit around, drink tea and eat biccies :D

oh i like the idea of a bf group!!! i haven't been told that we have one of those here!!!

thanks mrs n for posting this, it has answered many of my questions:happydance:

With my one they have a section for the babies with bouncer chairs and play mats ect, then have a craft,puzzle, place house and play dough area near it for toddlers. Then another room for the bikes and slides for the toddlers.

Then near the end its music time , everyone sits on a chair in a huge circle and sings and mves there babies to the beat ect, Then instuments ( if they can hold them) then dance for the todders.
After that then its a slice of apple for kiddies and juice and coffee/tea and a biscuit for the mums.
Then story time finshes it off!!

Kids will love it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"