Moving house-how do you decide which child gets the smallest room?!

B

Belle25

We are moving house, and the new house has 3 bedrooms. One of which is a small room.
Our kids are 7 and 20 months.
When I was growing up, amongst me and friends it always seemed to be the eldest that got the biggest bedroom.
Now my husband doesn't seem to get this as he was an only child!
What's the usual thing to do?
Have them share then a small play room? Eldest in large/small room?
I want to be fair, help!x

I am the oldest ans always had the bigger room,my brother moved into it when I left.

I go with the eldest gets the bigger room. I think really that is the only fair way to do it.

Eldest bigger room! I'm the youngest of four and got the box room, then every time a sister moved out I moved up a room lol

Wait until they're a bit older and make them fight for it :lol: Not really. The eldest had the biggest room when I was younger

I think the tradition of eldest having the biggest room comes with families who have not moved iykwim. So the first child gets big room, along comes another and only small room left.

If it were me i would consider giving the youngest the bigger room as they tend to have much more bulky toys, and lots more of them as well, although saying that lana still has most of her toys in the living room anyway!

They can always swap around when older

Thanks ladies. :flower:
Agree with that suzib-about it being more at people who are in existing houses as opposed to moving that go on bedroom sizes for the kids.
Thinking of putting then in bunk beds in the small room, then letting them have a huge playroom with a sofa bed for guests(or the nights they fall out with each other lol). That might be the best option. X

IMO Bedrooms are for sleeping only.

Therefore in your situation I'd have them share a room for sleeping and have a separate play space.

We've actually put DS1 in the smallest room (although its not particularly small) and have the nursery as the middle room so we could fit a double bed in there for guests/sleeping with baby when the other needs sleep! I am hoping to get the boys to share for a bit while they're older, we'll move frequently, I think the fairest, most "impersonal" way of doing it is eldest in the bigger room. Having said that growing up I had the small room for years but I'm pretty sure I picked it plus being a girl my toys were smaller than my brother's, we had a big house.

Your solution sounds best, I shared with both my sisters growing up and then we had a box room as a play room which later became the computer room/office, my little sister did at one point have her own room but that was more because me and my big sister were happy sharing. I think its a really nice idea having a big play room. When we hopefully have a second baby they will have the smaller room however there isn't actually much difference in size though my los room has built in wardrobe, I think when older I would give choice if they want to share as I loved sharing a room, my los toys are in living room at moment

We've recently just moved from a house where my eldest had the big room and my youngest had the smallest room ever (couldn't even fit a single bed in!) So she also had the dining room for her toys. My eldest has got rid of most of his toys so doesn't have a lot of stuff so now hes in the smaller room however there's not much difference in size and we do have another 2 spare rooms he could chose from when hes older!

I was the eldest and I had the smaller room growing up because my brother had bigger toys and more stuff but I did have a tv mounted to the wall and a high bed so make up for the lack of space so it worked out x

Dd1 had biggest room but they eventually chose to share and small room was play room for a while before becoming ds room... As the eldest, growing up i had choice of room and that was not always largest!

I think it really depends who has the most stuff I suppose.

We've got our eldest in the box room because she's the only girl. The boys share the bigger room in bunk beds.

When we only had 2 children, for a while DD had the biggest room and DS1 had the box room, but then they decided of their own accord that they wanted to both share the box room, and use the bigger room for toys. *shrugs*. It was a squeeze but they did it. DD was on the single bed and RIGHT next to her was DS1 in his cot.

Whatever works I suppose!

I was the eldest and started in the biggest room but I ended up swopping with my brother because my dolls house took up less floor space than his scaletrix and train set!

Wen we moved I was about 5 and had the bigger room. Not long after tho my other little bro came so we swapped and I had the box room. When t parents split and my dads partner moved in with her children we did a swap around and the garage got converted to a bedroom (attached to the house) my 2 bros and my step bro had that as it was the biggest and I had he big room and my step sis had the box room. Now I'm not at home my step sis has my old room and my step bro decided to take the box room (my other bro has also moved out) my youngest bro ended up with the big room by himself. Lol. My step bro is now at uni so it's mainly used as a spare, he uses it when he's back or my lo has stayed there a couple of times.
I like the idea of sharing and having the play room but the only downside is it only works if the siblings are both boys/girls. If they are one each then u should make a decision now rather than later. Eldest works yes.

I was the oldest child and was usually given the bigger room. However, despite being the oldest, I was always very grateful for this because out of three kids, I was the most private, solitary child of all. I very much enjoyed the peace and quiet and spent long hours in my room alone. My brother and sister used to be fine with playing elsewhere and even shared a room but I did pretty much everything in my room. I was always like that, so it wasn't just a puberty thing. I think personality can very much influence the choice sometimes. :flower:

SS got the smallest bedroom as he's only here 3 nights a week. DS got the bigger room and then the biggest bedroom is a playroom x

I was the eldest and had the bigger room. Then when I left home the next youngest got it, and so on!

With that kind of age gap, if you want them to have separate rooms I'd have the older child in the bigger room because they'll be having friends over long before the youngest will.

However, we have both girls in the same room (they're 4 and 2) and they will stay in the same room as long as possible. We have a smaller room which we use as a guest room and study now and it's nice to have that room as it is. Bedrooms are for sleeping or quiet time here so they don't play in there much anyway. If they ever want their own room, they will have to accept that one will get a smaller room... or we'll convert the attic :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->