Multivitamin and iron tablets...

Georgia7

Reaction score
Can I take them while breast feeding my 1 week old? Or do they need to be specifically prescribed by my doctor? I'm just feeling so so lethargic xxx

My doctor & my son's pediatrician both want me to keep taking my prenatals, DHA supplement, and iron. Well I dropped the iron, simply because I was annoyed at all the rules about taking it, but it's obviously okay.

That's just MY experience though. I can't give medical advice for your situation. If you can, you might want to go to the doctor as there are other causes of fatigue that might need to be ruled out, or they might want to check your iron to confirm that it would even help.

Can't see why not! My LO was discharged on multivits and iron for at least a year!

If you're breastfeeding you should pretty much always be on the same prenatal vitamins. I know I wear down to a rag soooo fast when I don't take mine for a few days. I mean I go from 'me' to foggy, can't think, can't process, dragging my butt exhausted. It is one of the worst feelings ever. I also have thyroid issues (which can cause tiredness), so I'm sure that contributes, but the change with/without vitamins is so noticeable it is insane.

That said, I do agree that you should ask your doctor about it if the vitamins don't pick you back up. Never know if you have other issues too. :)

You don't need to take a special pre natal or breastfeeding vitamin any run of the mill multivitamin+iron is fine, although its best to avoid those that contain ginseng or other energising herbs as they are not proven to be safe. I would ask for your iron levels to be tested, it's possible the birth made you anaemic. A vitamin that plays a big role in fatigue is vitamin D, preferably vitamin D3, the government advises pregnant and BF mums take 400iu of this a day but this may not be enough for everyone, I take at least 1000iu a day and am hoping to buy a vegan version of d3 that is 2500iu a day. Healthspan (they sell online) sell a really good iron supplement it also has other vitamins and minerals in and the form of iron is more easily absorbed than others, it is also cheaper than spatone or floradix xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->