Mummies who make their own purees

celine

Reaction score
Help! Ive been trying to make my own and yesterday was such a disarster and I go so mad.
Any tips? I pureed sweetpotato after hearing how everyone LUUURVES sweetpotato and it came out cement-like, on my 4th attempt I finally mixed a little boilin water with it and it looked decent.
I tryed avo but it wasnt ripe enough :(
I just feel a little bit of a failure right now.
I was so frustrated last night after my avo disarster that i then gave him a steamed carrot & sweet potato slice ala BLW but that did NOT go down well at all, he just cried and cried and eventually I had to give him some boob to calm him :(:nope:

Hey don't worry :) I don't do purees but I have read that if you bake a sweet potato in the oven until tender and then mash or puree the flesh with a bit of milk then that makes a good puree. I do BLW and one of Ruby's fave finger foods is a sweet potato cut into strips and roasted for about 20 mins.
With avocado, press it gently and if it feels a little bit soft it is ripe enough. The skin tends to darken slightly when ripe too.

i think with avo u need to puree with a little milk or its too thick.

i BLW too but i recently made some puree to use as jam...i baked a pear with cloved stuck in it until it was soft then chopped and pureed (i took the cloves out first). Its tastey...even i nicked a bit for my porridge this morning :p

u can do the same with baked apples too.

and i make poato and leek soup by boiling them both then putting them in the blnder with some water...i guess u could make a less watery version of that as a puree.

Maybe its because I steam the foods instead of bake? That they can come out a bit hard and yucky.

Steaming is good as long as you do it for long enough but when you bake a sweet potato or a butternut squash it does go nice and squishy! So maybe that might be better.

I did homemade purees before we started on BLW and I boiled everything in milk and then mashed, I found with the steamer they ended up a strange sticky consistency. Maybe just stick them in a pan and see what happens?

I'd recommend the Anabel Karmel book if you're looking for ideas and tips, it's great.

I steam sweet potato, i now mash/puree it with a little bit of butter x

I used to boil sweet potato (and other veg) then use a hand blender to puree it. If it was too thick, I'd add in either some milk, or some of the water it had been cooked in.

x

I bake sweet potato and then mash it with a little water or milk. In the early days I mixed all the purees with either juice from boiling veggies or mommy milk depending on what the item was.

when i used to make all of maddi's puree's, like sweet pots, i always boiled them honey, for quite a while, then pureed with some of the water remaining, and of course you can add milk to :)
i actually brought a proper blender in the end as i was fed up of my hand one, its just one from sainsburys, pop your veggies/food in and whiz it up :D
don't feel a failure, i'm sure i've made some awful food for maddi in the past :hug: xx

I steam everything until it is mushy, then I usually have to add boiled, cooled water to it when pureeing or it will get too thick. A good rule of thumb for me is that if my blender has trouble with it, it needs more water.

Good luck!

A

Thanks so much for those tips ladies, I shall try baking the sweetpotatoes next time, and also adding milk or water.
Im so worried Im doing something wrong all the time, this mummy business is so hard!

I bake sweet potato and then mash it with a little water or milk. In the early days I mixed all the purees with either juice from boiling veggies or mommy milk depending on what the item was.

Thats exactly what I do - you can add as much or as little liquid as you require then!

Good Luck!

I used both of these websites to get ideas/recipes for baby purees:

https://www.annabelkarmel.com/recipes

https://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/

When i made him a sweet potatoe puree, I added milk and a little bit of butte to thin it out--make it like you would prepare mashed potatoes.

My Lo hated all food for a while, i think its quite strange for them after just having milk, saying that i have tasted some of my dodgy purees and they are not very nice:blush:, after a while swede went down well, poached pears with cinnamon always gets eaten, but in the very early days he didnt like anything, dont take it to heart, LO just needs to get used to eating..x

If steaming, I think you have to remember to go beyond the "al dente" consistency that we'd like as adults, and go to the "mushy beyond belief" consistency that we all remember having cabbabe/sprouts done to when we were kids! Should be easily squishable.

I "nuke" my veg & fruit with a little water, and then use an electric blender to blitz them to puree, adding more of the cooking water if too thick.

If you're freezing, bear in mind that purees tend to defrost runnier than they went in. Not sure why, there's probably some scientific reason.

I boil most things in only a little water with a tight lid (olde style steaming) then use the water to get it to the right consistency. I also only even mash stuff, only puree stuff for pasta sauces. Amber likes lumps in her food.

ahem, cos I is dead clever like, they come out the freezer runnier because freezing bursts the cells of the food, releasing more water. Thats why strawberries always taste foamy and dry if they have been frozen.

i boil all my stuff, and just add the cooking water to get it to the right consistancy, i also used to add a little baby rice to some stuff, i found it made it a bit smoother x

Take a look here

https://www.annabelkarmel.com/

There's loads of puree recipes and Emma LOVES them, so much variety :) x x x

I made my purees up by boiling and then blending with formulamilk to make a smooth consistency if needed. My lo seemed to hate almost everything I made so we mostly used cans! :dohh: I'm so glad she eats normal stuff now and she's finally decided my cooking is ok and eats cottage pie and sausages. Typical kid only liking mince and sausages! :wacko:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->