Mums - Bathing and changing

indianorchi

Reaction score
Soooo had the midwife over the other day and she said your due date is really anything from 37 - 42 weeks which got me really scared as I'm 33 and NOT prepared for giving birth in 4 weeks at all!!
I have no experience with changing or bathing babies. Never had any baby cousins or anything and I was only 3 when my brother was born!
OH knows all about it but as he already had to teach me how to colapse the pram I don't want any more lessons from him! :dohh:
I've had a look in the books and on the net but it's always better to get advice from real mums.
For newborns (boy), has anyone got any step-by-step guides, dos and don'ts, tips...anything?
Would be really helpful :)

not got any tips hun, but they'll show you in hospital how to bath and clean bubba. on our hospital tour someone asked, she was like, i know it sounds really stupid but do you show us how to bath baby? MW said almost everyone is the same and they show you everythin you need to know!

Sorry hun, I don't really have any advice for you......I had the same worries, but I've been assured that the midwives will show you & guide you through bathing & changing whilst you're still at hospital. And once you're home, you'll have the midwife & health visitor coming to see you regularly, so they'll be able to give you more help.

xx

They will show u at hospital i had a lesson on it b4 i left! Just ask the midwifes if they dont offer

I was just like you...

I've never held a newborn in my arms before having my baby.
However it just sort of clicks once you give birth...

Bathing and changing,it's really not as difficult and you learn pretty quickly.
Not to mention that for every question you might have there's BnB! :)

Dont worry hun, first time moms apparently go into labor late (which many of us are finally starting to accept in 3rd tri lol!)

You will know what to do... dont worry. There are always groups and things you can go to to get help with things too.

practise changing a nappy on a soft toy.

Im kinda glad im in the job i am. Being a nursery nurse bathing, changing and all the other things that come with careing for children gets taught to us in the job lol.

I still find it hard how parents can bring their babies to us as little as 6 weeks but needs must i guess

practise changing a nappy on a soft toy.

Im kinda glad im in the job i am. Being a nursery nurse bathing, changing and all the other things that come with careing for children gets taught to us in the job lol.

I still find it hard how parents can bring their babies to us as little as 6 weeks but needs must i guess

My mum had to go back to work when I was 6 weeks old and she cried about it and stuff :( some people just can't afford not to work unfortunately.

I would think that the hospital will offer you a bathing demo hun - they offered me one. :)

My mum had to go back to work when I was 6 weeks old and she cried about it and stuff :( some people just can't afford not to work unfortunately.

i know :(

i completely understand that. its the sad thing! but some parents i swear dont even get phased by s ending thier children to nursery. we have some parents who send thier children in as soon as we open at 8 and dont collect untill we close at 6 and this is 5 days a week!!

makes you wonder why some people have children when they do this.

I feel the same way indianorchi. I haven't really had to deal with babies at all so don't know anything about diapers and bathing and such!! I really hope it just 'clicks' like everyone says it will!

You'll learn very very quickly trust me :D

Thanks everyone. I hope it does 'click'. I've got parents at home to help but would much prefer to be in full control!

my advise for changing boys is to make sure you have the new diaper ready before you take off the old one. When the cold air hits them they tend to spray!! you have to be quick or you will get peed on more then once.

When my mum had my brother, she always carried a flannel with her ready for taking off the old nappy so he wouldnt wee everywhere, Just cover his bits up and then put the new nappy on and then slide out the flannel :)
Xxx

i know :(

i completely understand that. its the sad thing! but some parents i swear dont even get phased by s ending thier children to nursery. we have some parents who send thier children in as soon as we open at 8 and dont collect untill we close at 6 and this is 5 days a week!!

makes you wonder why some people have children when they do this.

some people cannot afford to give up work and should not have to go without the pleasure of having children, just because they cant live on one wage or want to live on benefits!!!!!

Im aslo really nervous! hopefully i'll learn off my mate who is due in feb!

I was shown at the hospital how to bathe. I was unsure about changing when i had ds as boys bits are different to ours and that made me nervous lol. I just asked one of the nursery nurses and she was great.

Ya I don't really know anything about babies (atleast I didn't) but I'm slowly getting educated just by reading posts on here and stuff. I bet a lot of the stuff just comes naturally to us but the MWs at the hospital will show you and answer any questions you have. Worry not!

p.s. im so glad i get to practise on a girl before I have a boy with their fire hoses!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->