• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mums with navel piercings!

Hi,
I have a little boy (who's 1 on Wednesday!) during my pregnancy I have my metal bar in until about 30 weeks, then a long flexible maternity one right for the rest :) :flower:

I've been torn on whether to take mine out or not. I don't see the point unless it causes me any discomfort, I've had it in for 2 and a half years now and don't particularly want to have to go and get it repierced if I take it out and it heals over! I've had to have my ears repierced and that was painful enough, I'm getting my nose repierced when I have the money and I'm not looking forward to that - I can handle the initial piercing but not repiercing - I know what it's going to feel like!
I'll get a maternity bar as soon as I start to show but I don't think I'll be taking it out - other than if I need to for scans. I had to take it out for an xray on my back last month so I can kinda understand why they might need you to take it out for a scan.

I removed mine at 8 weeks after I found out as you get further along, your body will begin to push the jewelry through your skin because there is no more space. And then you're left with an even uglier scar than it could of been. You also develop a stretch mark straight through it or around it

I kept mine in til 37 weeks then the skin was so stretched it was almost see-through so I had to take it out... Now the skin is all saggy and my belly bar just dangles too low. I wish it took it out sooner tbh cos I'm going to have to get it repierced anyway now

I'm a professional body piercer and would highly recommend the maternity bars if you're wanting to keep your piercing healthy. With all the stretching of the skin it can damage your piercing and even cause it to reject if you leave a regular barbell in it.

Thanks guys, this is a pretty old thread though, I made my decision! I'm 25+2 and have had no problems with my metal bar in so far, I do have a maternity one on hand though :)

I took mine out just because it was migrating out too much from the pressure of my son on it, lol. It would have worked its way right out of my skin.

I put my maternity bar in a few weeks ago, it's a bit big but I don't want to cut it down and then have to get a new one if it becomes too small. I've noticed that I'm getting a stretch mark on the skin in between the balls though which I'm not happy about! But I think that's more down to my skin not having a lot of elasticity rather than the bar I'm wearing! My stomach is bright red with stretch marks already, all my older ones from gaining weight have got redder and angrier recently, so I'm not too surprised that I've got one on my piercing! I can only imagine it would be worse if I had a normal metal bar in though.

I took mine out at 15 weeks with my son and never put it back

I had mine pierced at 15 and got pregnant at 19 and have always been determined to keep mine in (I turned 20 a week ago so I guess I'm technically not a teen anymore lol).
I had a metal bar in until about 18 weeks and the had to change to a maternity bar. At around 26 weeks that bare got too short so I got one of the longest ones I could and it's been perfectly fine. I'm 10 days overdue so I think it's safe to say it wont have to come out :D
My friend also had hers pierced (top and bottom) and changed to maternity bars about 15 weeks and kept them in the entire pregnancy :)

I know this is old, and OP has made a decision but I wanted to post anyway for others who are wondering. I have kept mine in so far (35 weeks), I switched from a normal metal barbell to my maternity one at about 27/28 weeks. I got a pack that had a really long bar, cut it in half and then took one of the halves and cut that in a 2/3 and 1/3 piece. At first I used the smaller pieces and as my belly has grown I have switched to the larger ones.

So far I haven't had any issues other than a little discoloration but that I'm pretty sure was due to when it got infected because before I switched from the metal to the plastic my shirt snagged on the bar and nearly ripped it out of my stomach, causing a tear, and after lotion got in the cut it got infected...so I advise you be really careful as your belly grows as the whole snagging thing can become an issue, but plastic is much more forgiving than metal so whenever I do snag with the maternity bar it's not nearly as bad as when I had the metal bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->