Musical instruments for a two year old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marie000

Reaction score
My daughter already has a xylophone and a piano (a baby piano, but I am thinking of getting my own keyboard out for her). What other musical instruments would be suitable for a child a little over two year old?

I was thinking mini-guitar or ukulele
would a recorder/flute be suitable? Or is that for much older?
I hesitate to get her a drum because I'm afraid the noise would drive me crazy. :haha:

We got DS a keyboard last year and it's never been looked at. If she plays with her piano I'd maybe up grade it to a keyboard.

But really at 2/3 I'd leave her with the xylophone and piano.

Our LO has a recorder - my sister bought him it for Christmas last year and he's loved it ever since. He can't play tunes but he can make a noise with it and loves doing so. He plays anything and everything like a drum (his dad plays the djembe) so we've bought him a small electronic drum kit for Christmas along with a baby piano. He also has maracas, rainmakers and a little beat box. He absolutely loves playing with my guitar so I would get him one its just like you I'm scared the noise will drive me crazy! I think I might be mad to get him what we have now it's iust that he loves music so much they were the natural choice of present for him!

DS1 has got a wooden percussion set they were selling in Lidl a while back and he loves it - its got a tambourine (far less noisy than a drum!), some maracas, jingle bells on a stick, wooden beater blocks, a triangle (that does get a little bit annoying) and some shaker eggs. He has great fun with it and the bonus for me is that they are all small so don't take up much room.

I wouldn't get your LO a recorder, my DS was playing with one and tripped it pushed into the top of his mouth. He had a huge skin flap hanging from his hard pallet. It was awful. He will be 2 in December but that happened when he was 18 months. My DS still likes to march around whilst doing things doesn't look where he's going and falls. If your is the same I wouldn't recommend anything that goes in the mouth until they are slightly older. :thumbup:

Micah has a ukulele and he adores it! It isn't annoying either unlike a recorder which when he tried one was just a continuous blast of noise!

We are thinking of getting DD a toddler guitar but she loves her Melissa and Doug musical instruments (she got them last Christmas but only really started to enjoy them recently)

https://www.elc.co.uk/Melissa-and-D...ational-_-Shopping+Campaigns-_-Melissa+&+Doug

Thea has had a ukulele since she was about 14months and loves it. She gets it out and plays along when her dad is playing his guitar.

My LO has this set:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tidlo-Musical-Instrument-Set-Pieces/dp/B004NSUGRW and loves it. We bought it I think for Christmas when he was about 18 months or maybe his 2nd birthday, but he still plays with it lots. Awesome quality (as all John Crane stuff seems to be) and nothing terrible-sounding!

A wave drum! Both my children love ours.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Halilit-HL...UTF8&qid=1415710738&sr=8-1&keywords=wave+drum

thanks everyone! :thumbup:

I have put guitar / ukulele on her list of gift suggestions for my family. I will also look for a percussion set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"