Muslins/ other flats on newborns/very young babies?

NattieLou

Monkey Mama
Reaction score
Up till now, I've been thinking I'd use eco-disposables in the first few weeks and then switch to AIO/pocket BTPs. It seemed the easiest and most economical plan. I know BTPs can sometimes not be the best fit on little babies, and also knew I'd be using more nappies at the start than later on because of the change frequency, and was thinking about maybe getting a few small sized nappies as well as the BTP to fill in in the early days.

But I've been looking at the nappy lady's website this afternoon and came across her little video showing how to use muslins on really little ones. Can this really be effective? I'm also now feeling that I really don't like the thought of bringing him into the world and straight away putting him into something as unnatural as a disposable nappy. :nope: I know that's it's totally an emotional thing, and I don't think there's anything actually wrong with it, but I think I would just feel better putting him in cloth for at the very least his first nappy. Even if it'll be so gross we'll need to throw it away afterwards. :blush:

So I'm thinking a muslin or terry square for his first nappy, and even if I switch right to disposables for a while, perhaps flats would be best start him off clothwise so that I can get a good fit. Have any of you used muslins/flats on newborns or in the first few weeks? Did it work out ok? Which folds did you use and did you prep them in advance or at each nappy change? Which wraps would work when he's still very little? (Praying I don't have a ten pounder! :haha: )

Sorry for the long post, but would love to hear if anyone has any firsthand experience.

Sorry hun, never used them when Liv was a teency weency so i cant be of much help. I think muslins are effective though, so I've heard. Kirsten has tried some little tie on ones that are really cheap (forget the name now) that I plan on trying on our next little bundle when we have her/him. xxx

Yeah I plan on getting a load of disana tie ons (they are only £2 each) to use when I have another baby for the first month or so.

I did use a muslin a couple of times when Freya was tiny, she was too small for my nappies for what seemed like ages so I just messed around trying different stuff. I didn't do any particular proper fold, just a basic triangular one, with a nappy nippa. I used Little Lamb size one wraps as they are very soft, but smaller ones would be better, her legs were too little for them really. I will probably get a couple of wool ones and some fleece ones next time.

:)

Thanks, guys. I'm a bit confused by the Disana tie-ons though. The description I saw of them said they're non absorbant, so need something inside, so I'm guessing you use the muslin and then those on top? So you're using them as a non-waterproof nappy wrap either under or instead of a waterproof one?

That's good news that muslins do seem to work out fine for the littlies. I spoke to my husband last night about how I feel about at least his first nappy being cloth and he actually agreed with me, so little boy will definitely be starting out with a muslin bum. :happydance:

I've just found a US nappy store that's closing down and selling off everything at half price. I'm lucky in that my in-laws live in the US, so I can get stuff shipped to my MIL and she'll post it on to is. I have a couple of bamboozles in my cart for $10 each at the moment, and I'll ask her to bring them with her when she comes over. Little boy is due 1st March and she's planning to come at the end of March, so I figure they wouldn't fit any earlier than that anyway. I've also got 2 bummis super whisper wraps in newborn size and a prowrap in newborn size in my cart, and the three of them are costing me less than $20 so I thought too much of a bargain to miss out on. They'll be light to post and might fit him early on, so I think I'll ask her to send those on to us. Is it sad I'm finding it so exciting getting my stash together? :blush:

The Disana does abosrb, it is just not thick enough on it's own. I bought a disana organic booster with mine, (pretty much a very soft fat duster :lol:) and folded it up inside.

You need a wrap over them, so they would leak if used on their own.

Sounds good about the US nappies - yay for getting things cheap! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->