My 6 Month Old Won't Feed Properly!!!!!

Beckah80

Reaction score
My 6 month old daughter has always taken less of a feed as they say she is supposed to. Right now she is supposed to be taking in 7oz feeds every 4 hours. She has never been regular with feeds and not really taken in the amount she is supposed to. She has gained weight normally from birth and I have struggled with feeds the whole time.

At the moment she is only taking in around 3oz out of each feed, she is not screaming for a feed and still sleeps through the night even with only 3 oz of a feed! She wakes up in the morning and when I would expect her to have a whole feed she has not really wanted it. She just doesn't seem hungry at all. She may be teething and at this very moment I have just put on teething gel and will try the bottle again in a minute.

Does any one have any idea what could be causing her not to want feeds or even seem hungry at all, she was beginning to have puree jars last week and was doing quite well but now all seems to have gone a bit wrong!!

HELP??????:cry:

Is she showing an interest in food? If so i would suggest from your thread thats shes bored of just milk, which is probably why shes not taking as much, just a thought? try purreed fruit/veg on the tip of your finger... good luck ;)

This is happening to my lo and hes just six months. I bf and feel is he is taking less milk than normal although I know they can become more efficient as they get that bit older. My lo too is teething and this morning I think his teeth are really making him grizzly. When he wakes in the morning he will feed from one side and then I have to suggle to get he to take any from the other whereas before he just took both side automatically. I too thought as he had just woke from a 7 or 8 hour sleep he'd be hungry but hes certainly not straving. Usually I leave him for a bit to play on his sit-me-up and then may be 40 - 60 mins later he'd feed abit more. At times I feel he wants to play and look at things around him rather than feed.

I started solids (blw) at 24 weeks but have put in on hold to see if i can get him to a level where i feel satisfied with his milk intake. My lo has been gaining weight fine too and if it weren't or the dirty nappies (at least 2 a day) I would be more worried. When I start weaning again I am going to take it very slow so the food doesn't put him off his milk further if possible.

Maybe its just something that happens at six months. There is so much happening discovering the world around then, teething and starting solids that they just don't feel like feeding for a while. I hope you can get you lo to take a level of milk your happy with again soon as I know it can make you worry alot.

She isn't particularly interested in solids or milk (formula) I have just managed to feed her nearly 4oz a once but that was the first since 2oz at 10.30am we have been to doctors too and they have not seen any visible signs of illness etc. tummy is fine temp fine etc etc. She said just attempt feeding little and often and see how it goes! We'll see! I think it is more grizzly due to teething, i have tried teething gel prior to feeding and it seems to work a little but not much!!

I actually gave my Lo capol earlier to see if that would help his teeth. It settled him and he feed for 30 mins. It does list teething on the capol box I only gave a 2.5 spoonful but check the age of ur Lo what you can give. I also bought bickiepegs out at the chemist but haven't tried them yet again think your Lo needs to be six months for them. At least the doc checked ur Lo over and u have some peace of mind. I am just doing the same offering milk often in the hope he takes some.

My 6 month old daughter has always taken less of a feed as they say she is supposed to. Right now she is supposed to be taking in 7oz feeds every 4 hours. She has never been regular with feeds and not really taken in the amount she is supposed to. She has gained weight normally from birth and I have struggled with feeds the whole time.

At the moment she is only taking in around 3oz out of each feed, she is not screaming for a feed and still sleeps through the night even with only 3 oz of a feed! She wakes up in the morning and when I would expect her to have a whole feed she has not really wanted it. She just doesn't seem hungry at all. She may be teething and at this very moment I have just put on teething gel and will try the bottle again in a minute.

Does any one have any idea what could be causing her not to want feeds or even seem hungry at all, she was beginning to have puree jars last week and was doing quite well but now all seems to have gone a bit wrong!!

HELP??????:cry:

Not to be rude, but "won't feed properly" ~ according to who? Why must she take 7oz every 4 hours? If she's been gaining weight properly since birth then what is the problem? Babies are not biologically designed to feed according to a 24 hour clock and arbitrary 4 hour timeline. It sounds like she is not hungry - she's gaining weight and not waking with hunger - so why try and force her to eat?

I'm having this too- she's only had 1 1/2 bottles every day this week but isn't really on solids yet, doctors said to take her in if she is still like it next week

Miller was exactly the same !!!....only this week hass he started having more like 5 - 6 oz !!

Not sure what it was...it seemed to coincide with weaning tbh .......again...he was gaining weight fine and not crying tio be fed !! ( alas...not sleeping thru the night tho !)

I wouldnt worry too much.....as long as she seems ok and not dehydrated i recckon its just some sort of phase they must go thru !!!
xxxx

PS......Sorry.....i am not BFing anymore like my tickers say......i'm combi with mainly bottles xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->