My baby bites my nipples

pinkstarbinks

Reaction score
Hey how do i handle this it's so sore he's got his first 2 teeth, will it get worse with more? Over the last 3 days since he's began i've been bitten about 8 times x

My baby went through phases of biting. After a while, I began to notice that when he started biting, a new tooth would poke through shortly after.

I would always just say "no bite" and remove him from the breast and try again a few minutes later. He eventually got the idea. Now he'll lightly brush my nipple with his teeth when he's bored/done nursing...but I can see the mischievious look in his eye when he's about to do that and I just pull my nipple out of his mouth.

Good luck, his biting phase was no fun!

Ok thanks i will definitely try this. Yeah it makes you wince as you offer your nipple wondering each time whether it'll happen doesn't it.

He's got such red cheeks i'm on red alert each feed. Trying various methods to soothe him through it all poor chap.

Mine is biting a lot too, wonder if he's teething also then!

The best advice I was given was to pull LO in closer if she started biting. Not sure why but it does stop the biting. We're still BF at nearly 21 months

The best advice I was given was to pull LO in closer if she started biting. Not sure why but it does stop the biting. We're still BF at nearly 21 months

I believe it's because covering their nose with your breast , for a second, instinctively causes them to open their mouth to breathe.

I do the pulling in closer thing to get him to open his mouth, then say "Please do not bite me" (calmly but firmly) and put him down and ignore him for at least 10 seconds.

You have to be careful not to have a huge reaction, because that can either make them think it's a game (or a way to get your attention), which will encourage it, or it could scare them and cause a nursing strike. So calm and direct is the way to go.

It sucks, doesn't it? I've been taking her off when she bites, saying "No!" firmly and putting her down. I count to twenty in my head and don't make eye contact with LO in that time. Then I scoop her up, snuggle her back to the boob and she latches back on. She's starting to associate biting with having her milk taken away. When I do that she'll stop biting for a couple of days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->