My BBT thermometer came - Can someone give me the DL on temping?

VioletsMommy

Reaction score
So, I've never used a BBT thermometer before, and I am clueless. Forgive me if I ask a bunch of stupid questions.

I know you're supposed to to test first thing in the morning before you move or anything, and then record it on some sort of chart (I have one on my phone via the My Days app) but other than that I'm clueless. Is it an oral temp? What do all the different fluctuations mean? Is there a margin of error, I mean, can the temp be wrong? Because with my regular thermometer I can take a temp two times in a row and get two completely different readings. How do I make sure it's as accurate as possible? Finally, if I'm using OPKs to time BD (or in my case AI) then I should do it when the OPKs are positive through... will the temp do something when my fertile window closes? When in my cycle should I start temping? Just any time, or is there no point in temping unless you start on CD 1?

I know, google, but I figured I'd have a million questions anyways so I'd just go ahead and ask. TIA.

Take temp while you're lying in bed. They recommend trying to take it at same time daily. Get Fertility Friend app on your phone, it's the most popular. Just take your temp once, it'll be more than enough. Realistically, a little fluctuation won't make or break you.

Your temp will be lowest day AF hits, and will be on average lower. Then day after O, your temp will spike. Temperature may be 1-2 full degrees higher. It may rise as your tww passes. Fertility friend will confirm O after 3 days of elevated Temps. The day of AF your temp will drop back to your lower end, if you are not pregnant. If you are pregnant, you will notice your Temps stay high for couple of weeks.

Temping can only confirm O, it doesn't really predict. So using OPKs to measure LH the days leading up to O, and then using temping to confirm and track your tww.

It's recommend to start temping early in AF as it will give you an idea of what your low Temps are, compared to when you O. :)

It's actually pretty simple when you use fertility friend, record daily and you'll notice after a full cycle how your Temps change. Also, some women take temp internally... but orally works just fine. x

It's worth noting that temperatures can be all over the place during af and can be rocky throughout depending on a few things. I find the most reliable way to temp is vaginally because temping orally can be less reliable if you sleep with your mouth open for example. I don't generally but sometimes I do and sometimes I talk in my sleep too, and snore ... so I found vaginal temping earsier. It may mean you miss a few days during af if it's heavy and you just don't want to and that's ok. It won't make a huge difference.
You can get a dip at ovulation but not everyone will. Like implantation, some see a dip some don't.
They will stay lower, or should stay lower during your follicular phase but once you ovulate they should increase. Ideally they will have a clear increase immediately, but sometimes this won't happen and when that happens it can confuse apps, so if you suspect you ovulated but your temps aren't increasing steeply, then keep an open mind as to the day of ovulation because it is possible to have a slow increase which means you may have ovulated earlier than your app thinks.
If your temps are constantly staying low then have bloods checked for hormone levels. If they're always unusually high (during follicular phase) again have hormone levels checked.
OPKs will give you an idea of when you're about to ovulate, but this could be that day or as many as three days after a positive OPK. OPKs are only positive if the test line is as dark or darker than the control line. Generally the older you are, the closer to your LH surge you'll ovulate. That is just generally speaking though, everyone is different. I'm 34 and usually ovulate the day of or the day after a positive OPK but bear in mind this can also change from cycle to cycle too. Just as you won't always ovulate on the same day, or some won't anyway. It can vary a lot sometimes. For this reason I think it's best to start using OPKs soon after af has gone.
If you temp vaginally your temperature will be higher than if you temp orally. Also if you do it this way try to keep it in the same place each time and don't put the thermometer all the way in, just enough for the end of it.
Your app won't be able to predict anything for a few cycles as it needs to see a pattern, so the first few are a bit of a guessing game but you should be able to get a fair idea of when you're about to ovulate and also when you have. Look out for other signs like ovulation pains, how your cervix is and what your cm is up to

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->