My birth story- the arrival of Eva

pimento1979

Reaction score
Friday, January 21 – 12:20am

I got up to go to the bathroom and felt a trickle… unsure of what it is, I put a pad in and go back to bed. Everytime I wriggle around or feel the baby move, I feel more liquid come out. I get back up to go to the bathroom again, and had a bit more of a gush- my waters have broken! I giggle and say to Mark, “I think my waters have broken”. We *try* to get back to sleep but are both filled with nervous energy, so we go downstairs, have something to eat and watch a recorded episode of Grey’s Anatomy before convincing ourselves that we should go back to bed and get some sleep in case this is the real thing! Before I go back to bed, I got to the loo again and wipe away a bit of my mucus plug.

8am
Haven’t noticed anymore trickling since about 5am, but when I wake up at 8am, I wipe away a large mucus plug. I call my wonderful doula, Eleanor Fowler, and have a chat about what’s happened. She suggests I call the midwife and tell her what’s going on. I call the MW and she suggests she comes by to check me over and have a chat. She did, however, recommend I try reflexology or acupuncture to get things going naturally, as “we are up against the clock now”. I make appointments for both treatments.

Noon
MW comes by, we have a chat. She checks baby’s HR and my BP- both are fine. Baby felt to be LOA. She talks about sweeps, VE and swabbing for GBS, all of which I decline as I don’t see how these would help at the moment (and all could introduce infection anyway). She documents all of this and says she’ll give me a call again later in the day.

Mark and I go for lunch at the local noodle house and I have a spicy hot and sour soup. Yum. I then go for my reflexology appointment and go home.

4pm
I start having period-like pains irregularly and for varying amounts of time, but am excited by it. These pains stop by 6pm. The MW rings and I tell her this- she is disappointed but says she will call me Saturday morning.

8pm
I have an acupuncture treatment which leaves me with irregular strong period-like pains throughout the night.

Saturday, January 22
7:30am

MW calls and asks for update- I tell her about the acupuncture and period-like pains throughout the night. We get off the phone and about 20 minutes later, the SOM calls me to say that we need to think about antibiotics and induction as it has now been more than 24 hours since my water broke. I told her I wasn’t keen on either option but agree to another MW coming by to check things out.

Mark and I go for a long walk on uneven terrain, and by the end of the walk, I am having some very strong period-like pains, lasting anywhere between 20 seconds and 2 minutes. Get home and have multiple cups of double-strength RLT.

Noon
MW comes by and checks FHR and my BP- both again are fine. Baby felt to be LOA. This MW was very empowering, saying that although the hospital may want to give me antibiotics and induce me, that I don’t have to do anything I don’t want to. Mark and I agree to go into hospital for CTG monitoring and antibiotics, but no induction if CTG is OK.

We get to Delivery Suite and the first thing the MW says is “So, we’re doing an induction.” Mark and I look at each other and say “No, we agreed to monitoring and antibiotics but no induction.” MW says, “This is an unusual request, I need to go speak to my supervisor”. Supervisor (not SOM) comes back and says that if they give me antibiotics, then I HAVE to stay in for induction. Well, the CTG comes back absolutely fine and shows signs of contractions every 15 minutes or so (which I can feel). We decline the antibiotics and induction- the supervisor says that the registrar will have to come speak to me as I am now at high risk of infection and going against medical advice. 20 minutes later, the supervisor comes back and says the registrar is fine with me going home! But, Mark and I agree with her that we will come back in 24 hours for further monitoring. We decline swabs for GBS but agree to them taking blood to check my WBC count in case I came back, so that they can have a baseline.

After leaving hospital, we go for a nice pub lunch to keep the oxytocin flowing. At the end of the meal, I had to go to the loo and I had a massive period-pain contraction and am feeling positive that things are moving along.

5pm
We get home from the pub and go for another walk. My contractions are now every 10 minutes for anything from 15 to 60 seconds. We put on our Michael McIntyre DVD that we got for Christmas. That man is hilarious!

8pm
I have another acupuncture appointment, after which the contractions start coming every 5 minutes for about 60-90 seconds.

10pm
I tell Mark to start filling the pool. I call Eleanor and the MW and tell them to come over. By the time they come, I am in the pool and contracting pretty regularly. MW happy with me being in the pool. I am in and out of the pool throughout the evening to go to the loo and everytime I get out, sit on the toilet, or go back downstairs, I have a contraction.

Sunday, January 23
1:30am

I have a VE- I am at 4cm. MW unsure of baby’s position- she thinks the head is transverse…

I get back in the pool and as the evening/morning progresses, I start getting 2, 3 or 4 contractions back-to-back without a break in between. The contractions also feel like they start halfway up “the wave”, without a build-up… am not sure if the beginning of the contraction is a bit dulled due to me being in the water or what… the contractions are intense, I vomit and cry and shake and I think to myself, “This must be Transition”. Silly me. Neocortex engaged. Bad girl.

This progresses throughout the evening and I vomit intensely. Again, I think, “This SURELY must be Transition”.

Throughout this, however, my temperature has gone up, as well as my pulse, and the MW is starting to get concerned about infection. The first time she mentioned about thinking about transferring to hospital was about 2am. Mark and I ask for another half an hour, at which point my temp and pulse are still going up. I take some paracetamol and after another 30 minutes, temp and pulse still going up (by “up”, I mean my temperature is 37.7C and pulse is 102. My baseline at the beginning of the evening was 36.5C and pulse of 80). The MW is saying that she really suggests we think strongly about going in, and even if I am able to have the baby at home, that we would probably need to go in anyway for monitoring of the baby for 24 hours afterwards. Mark asks the sensible question, “well, she is in labour… isn’t it natural for temp and pulse to go up?” . MW says, yes, to a degree, but not as much as it has. We ask the MW whether she’ll stay with us in hospital and she says she’ll come in with us, but then probably transfer care to the Delivery Suite. We ask for another 30 minutes- but by this time (4am), contractions are getting more time in between them, but still very, very strong. MW concerned things are slowing down, so she suggests a VE to see where we are, and I agree.

7cm. You’ve got to be kidding me (although I know about sphincter law, this VE was not helpful)! I start to freak out badly. I say out loud that I want an epidural. I try to vomit but there is nothing left to come out. My mind starts telling my body to stop. I don’t want to do this anymore. I try to go to the loo and I can’t wee. This really freaks me out. Obviously it was probably due to the baby’s head descending but I don’t really care and all I want to do is wee. I climb into bed and put the covers over my head and just want it all to stop. Eleanor and Mark are amazing, making sure I breathe through the contractions but all I want is an epidural. The ambulance is called and in I get.

5am
I get into the ambulance and the first thing they offer me is Gas and Air. I tell them that I don’t want it as I don’t want to be sick (even though I’ve already been sick). I get on the stretcher and off we go. We get to the hospital over a series of speed bumps and as soon as they wheel me into the delivery room, I try to jump off the stretcher even though it’s still 3 feet off the ground! As soon as I get off, I start leaning on the sink and feel an incredible urge to push. Eleanor gets my trousers off and I yell out, “The baby is coming!” (Eleanor and Mark tell me afterward that the MW is getting really excited at this point- and also that the Delivery Suite is so busy, that my MW has to stay with me. She was really brilliant, apparently she said “you don’t want this monitor strapped to you, do you?” and they just hold the monitor up to my belly to hear the FHR). They get me up onto the bed, leaning over the top and Eleanor, Mark and the MW coach me through the pushing. The MW keeps monitoring my temp and pulse, which have now come down substantially! Great news.

I push for about 20 minutes and finally at 6:18am, Eva Rose made her entry, head and body at once, into this world in one almighty push, all 6lbs 6oz of her, 2 weeks and 1 day before her EDD. Physiological third stage takes about 20 minutes. MW checks me over for tears and I have a graze going up and a 2nd degree clean tear going down, but I decline suturing as I’ve had enough of things down there! Eva starts rooting around and feeding like a champ!

We (my doula, MW and me) all have a chat and agree that probably baby was not in optimal position, which may explain waters breaking and nothing happening, followed by those contractions back-to-back and my temp and pulse going up as my body needed to work extra hard to get her into the right position. The MW was fantastic though- she said to Eleanor that she doesn’t take transfer into hospital lightly, and it was obvious that she was very much all for keeping me at home as long as I wanted to. Mark and I are very thankful for her and will definitely be writing her a thank you note.

We are kept in hospital for 24 hours and Eva is fine- no signs of infection. My milk came in on the third day.

So although I didn’t get my home birth, I wouldn’t have changed anything about the birth itself I do regret freaking out as much as I did and I wonder if it was “normal”, or whether it was the fact that the baby wasn’t in precisely the right positioning or whether I was anticipating transition too much. Whether it was the ambulance ride, or the safety aspect of the hospital, Eva came out safely and I was still able to give birth without any interventions.

Mark said to Eleanor after all this was over, "Originally, I was a bit skeptical about the need for a doula, but after all that, I really appreciated your support and felt really enabled to help Cathy, especially when the going got tough. It was reassuring to have someone experienced there that what was happening was perfectly normal." Bless!

At today’s 5 day MW appointment, Eva has only lost 50 grams! Brilliant! But my 2nd degree tear, although pretty much healed, has not healed evenly and the two edges of the wound have overlapped. Although small in the scheme of things, it was enough to send me into tears. This is the first time I’ve cried since the birth so maybe it was a mix with the baby blues, too. I feel stupid for not having had the sutures when offered to me, but there’s nothing I can do about it now. I had asked Mark to look at my perineum yesterday and he said he wasn't sure if it was a mixture of swelling, but he said it looked like another vaginal lip... again, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it really upsets me just to type this! I'm not vain about "down there" and I know Mark doesn't care...

Anyway, that's my story- I hope I don't upset anyone with my honesty about how I was feeling after the VE at 7cm. But here are some cute pictures to cheer you up in case I did :)

Attachments

• Feeding.jpg
    Feeding.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Monkey burrito.jpg
    Monkey burrito.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Daddy.jpg
    Daddy.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 22
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Snoozing.jpg
    Snoozing.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 17
That is amazing Cathy! You did so well, and she is adorable - wonderful pictures!
I think she looks more like you.. enjoy all the cuddles!
Xx

Cathy I just loved the truth and honesty in your whole story!! I really felt like I was there with you. Some of those things that happened to you have now been filed away in the back of brain for a "just in case" moment. I also loved how you asked for 30 more minutes a few times. That's a great way of being able to calmly take the time to think about things. Sounds like your Midwife was really great though as well. :)

Sorry you didn't get your home birth but as you said you still totally managed it natural and did everything with a clear brain and lots of knowledge behind you so it made the experience still yours.

I'm just so happy for you and for your breasts too! hahaha. Only on here would someone get so excited for milky boobs! :happydance:

Congratulations! She is gorgeous!

Thanks for being honest about how you felt too.

Congratulations Cathy! I know i've said it already before, but so pleased for you and DH. Enjoy your new little Eva!! xx

congrats on a wonderful birth Cathy! You did a brilliant job and Eva is just gorgeous.

Sorry you didn't get your homebirth but congrats on you and your lo doing well!

An amazing story and really inspiring that you were able to do without antibiotics and induction and other interventions in general. Well done! I find it personally very inspiring because of my own history and I think it will help me if I find myself in a similar situation as last bith. I can relate to a lot of what you describe from my experience last time so it's fabulous that you were so strong throughout. :hugs: Congratulations on your gorgeous babe!

On the tears aspect, I can relate to that too. After my episiotomy I spent months feeling wrong and worrying. I was told at a smear all was normal and again at the VE I had at Christmas after spotting. I have since examined myself properly once and for all and have polyps on my scar, something that's very common and could even have been the cause of my bleeding! It was relief to finally understand what was going on and why and that though no longer entirely normal it wasn't anything serious. I hope you heal ok. Try not to be blue. I reckon we can get qjuite weird down there before we would really notice anything in practice!

congratulations and well done to you! :flower:

and welcome to your new little girl, she's beautiful :baby: :flower:

xx

Lovely story :)

Eva is beautiful, congratulations xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members