My cat killed a baby bunny

mummof1

Reaction score
Hey ladies so my cat got outside tonight before dinner and I inmediately saw him go after a baby bunny, naturally I FLIPPED out yelling and screaming at him to leave it I chased him and he let it go I scooped up the baby bunny and it had an open wound , I noticed after I saw the little bit of blood on my hands .
I was going to take it to my vet right around the corner but it died within a couple minutes.
I throughly washed my hands a few times but I'm just worried about diseases ? Should I be?
It was very little blood... I'm so mad at my cat!

Also, I know it's natural for cats to hunt I just couldn't let him kill and eat it right there on our back patio with my kids watching !

I know rabbits carry tularemia, but I'm I don't know how prevalent it is. If you have any symptoms or for a piece of mind it's better to get checked out, but am sure it is fine.

Probably call your doctor and ask if there is anything to worry about just to be safe.

My dog has killed rabbits and squirrels and brought them in the house before (he has a doggy door) but I've never watched him actually kill one. I would be horrified.

Don't be upset with your kitty, most of the time they just want today want to play with them unfortunately its in their dna.
Im sure if you had no cuts on your hands that the blood could get into then everything should be fine :) im sorry you had to witness that. If you are worried call your Dr and express your concerns.

Thanks ladies . I had no cuts it was just a tiny bit of blood on the back of my hand and my thumb the bunny barely bled I was surprised it died so easily ! :(
My hubby said I need to stop worrying , his words were "I've had Hep C blood on my hands before, skin is a barrier"
He's a paramedic lol.
I just get paranoid about things !

For the safety of your cat, yourself, and your kids, I'd put a bell on the cat to scare animals away. That way, your cat isn't bringing those germs into your home or making your babies sick. You're probably okay as bunnies are pretty safe, but I would be concerned about other creatures your cat could come into contact with.

I try really hard to keep him inside but that's a good idea!
He has actually brought in a dead mouse before ! I'm always washing my hands and teach my boys to wash their hands after petting or playing with our cats too and I'm always disinfecting our counters because they sneakily jump up when we aren't in the room !
I'm going to try to keep him inside though he just desperately makes a break for it every time we open our patio door!

I wouldn't worry about the little bit of blood on your hands, but I would deworm the cat with a wormer that will also get tapeworms. Our cat lives outside and he has a bell on his collar and he kills and eats mice every day. He gets dewormed once per month to make sure he doesn't pass on anything nasty to us.

Thank you I didn't even think of that , I'll definitely ask my vet about it .

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->