My drug free hospital water birth

icegurl470

Reaction score
My first labor was pretty textbook. Went into labor around 8pm, stayed home until around 11pm. I was only 3cm dilated when we got to the hospital. Took me until 5am to get to 5cm, which is when I was allowed to use the labor tub. An hr and a half later I was fully and was told I could start pushing. As soon as I started pushing my water broke. I wanted a drug free water birth, and I managed the drug free part, but after pushing for over an hr in the tub, decided to get out and was finally able to push her out on the bed. She was 6lbs 4.5oz 19.5 inches long. The whole thing took 12hrs. I suffered some labial grazing and needed one stitch, but no perineum tear. However the recovery was a lot more long and painful than I expected.

We loved being parents so much we decided as soon as our first turned one and I was done breastfeeding we would start trying for #2 and it happened straight away. My pregnancy was a lot different and I thought for sure I was having a boy, but it was another girl. Even though I was measuring right where I should be on the outside, mother's intuition told me she was a lot bigger. I voiced my concerns to my dr. but because my first was so small he pretty much said it was impossible to have a big baby unless GD or extended gestational duration are in play.

At 38+4 I went into labor but it fizzled out. Went to the dr the next day and I was 50% effaced and dilated to about 2cm. I never really got back to normal after that. Had BH on and off from then on, nausea diarrhea, back and pelvic pain, couldn't sleep. The BH would become painful and regular and I kept setting off false alarms its was so frustrating and physically draining.

Finally at 40+2 started losing bloody plug all day long and around 8pm (which was the same time I went into labor with my first) I went from BH every 8-10 minutes or so to BOOM painful long lasting contractions every 3 minutes. We had to scramble to get our toddler settled and get out the door. Within an hr of getting to the hospital I was 5cm. I knew from my first labor that 5cm-fully dilated would be quick, so that helped me cope with the contractions, but it was intense. My dr arrived and checked my cervix an hr later and I was 9cm, but it was having urges to push and I was in so much pain! It took all my will power and determination not to just panic and lose control. I started pushing, even though my dr didnt think I was ready he checked me and I was indeed ready. After a few pushes it dawned on my that my water had not broken and I was in so much pain that this upset me. This hospital is very holistic and my dr was hesitant to break my water for me but when he felt up there again he could feel that my water bag was bulging kinda kiddy corned off-set from her head so he popped it. My sister showed up while I was in a contraction and the nurse came in and asked if she could come in and in a demon possessed voice I screamed NOOO! But as soon as it passed I said yes let her in and apologized haha. I could feel her crowning and it hurt, I kept getting scared and holding back. I kept yelling at the nurse, who was actually a student training, to pull her out, haha! Finally after almost 30 minutes of pushing I just bit the bullet and got it over with. It was glorious. I finally got my water birth. The rest of my water came out when she was born and when I stood up. It was so weird I thought it would never stop coming out of me. The nurses said that was the most hind water they had ever seen. My mom happened to look over right as I was delivering my placenta on the bed and I heard a splash and thought it was more hind water but it was blood! It filled up the whole bucket type thing they had. Her face was priceless!

The whole thing took 5hrs and she weighed a whopping 8lbs 11.5oz! I did suffer a minor 2nd degree perineum tear, but strangely enough I'm not as sore down there as I was after having my first. 2nd labor was quicker, but just as painful. It was a little harder than I thought it would be. Having had my first totally natural and un-medicated, I hoped my 2nd would come really easy, but the whole thing was less than half as long as my first and I pushed for less than half as long, so I guess I cant complain. Still cant believe how big she is. I knew she was bigger than my first, but I gained less weight and had her a little sooner, so I didnt think she would be that big. The last couple weeks were hell, I'm glad it's over with and she's healthy. It's incredible what us woman are capable of!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->