My journey back to ovulation - overcoming hypothalamic amenorrhea

Bevziibubble

Reaction score
I'm not ttc but I'm documenting my journey back to ovulation here. Basically I've suffered from an eating disorder for years and lost my period earlier this year due to hypothalamic amenorrhea which is when severely low calorie intake and over exercising cause the body to stop ovulation and menstruation as it's not healthy enough to be able to support pregnancy.

At the time I didn't realise it was a problem to not have periods but since seeing an eating disorder team I've learnt that it can cause higher cardiovascular disease risk and osteopenia (loss of bone and can happen in as little as 6 months with hypothalamic amenorrhea). It really scares me some of the damage I've done.

Im in recovery now and am weight restored but still no period. It's so difficult feeling like I've got all this new weight on me and still no period, but my body has a lot of healing to do :( I've bought some opks so will be testing and hoping I start ovulation again soon. I want to get healthy again!

❤️

Have they advised taking anything to help support ovulation? Thinking vit c, Macca root extra.

I never knew this about u and jst want to say well done for writing this and hopefully ur honesty might help others. U got this Bev xxx praying for ur body recovery x

they've not suggested anything. They're rather unhelpful to be honest! I will try those suggestions though.
Thank you so much :)

Wow, my period finally returned this morning! :happydance: I didn't have any signs at all! It's such a great feeling to get better. I will track ovulation for a few months to check I am actually ovulating and got a proper cycle back :)

Af is finished. I will test around ovulation time just to make sure I am definitely ovulating :thumbup:

AF must have sensed this thread! Are you temping as well? You could try alternatives like acupuncture but I'm not sure if that's still happening at the moment because of covid. There is acupressure and you could learn some points yourself though, that might help encourage things along. Or there's soy isoflavones but I'd be hesitant because of your history, if you just got your AF back it may mess things up but could be something to think about if things are all over the place. It could give things a kick up the backside maybe

I've never tried temping, I might try and get a proper thermometer and try that.
The Flo app has me ovulating at the moment but I don't know if I am, I don't really have many signs so I will try an opk later.

Good luck regulating your cycles and getting ovulation back Bev..you've already come a long way and I'm sure you can do this too :) I heard that dairy products are good for cycles..so maybe make sure that you get enough of these food groups each day. x

Oh I only saw this now! I hope you can get back to a normal cycle now and get back to being healthy all round. :hugs:

Wow, you seem well on your way, Bev! I hope your honesty and bravery inspires others as well. Yay for positive signs toward healing. Very happy for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->