My last-minute low-budget October 2013 wedding!

tinkerbelle93

2 little boys :)
Reaction score
So earlier this year it had been a whole 12 months since my OH's proposal to me and, since we'd finally got sorted and settled into our new house, we decided it was time to start thinking about the wedding.

Originally I decided I wanted a typical big white wedding with extended family, all our friends etc. as most people in my family get married that way and I'd never known any different. We set the date for next summer, looked round some venues and found one we wanted and reserved a date on it.

It all seemed very simple but things started becoming more and more complicated, arguments began within the family about who was to be invited and who wasn't to be invited (family feuds, parents and in-laws insisting people one of us has never met to be invited), who was going to be a bridesmaid (I ended up with needing to have 8 bridesmaids to stop anyone being upset or offended) and our guest list just seemed to get longer and longer and longer and the budget just seemed to get bigger and bigger and bigger.

We'd planned a mid-week wedding on a budget using hired suits, second-hand dresses, a student photographer etc. etc. yet it was still going to come to thousands and thousands. I do a university course from home so we live on one income so the price was becoming very demanding from us. We started to have a think about it and decided that actually the big white wedding wasn't the right things for us for the various reasons:-

- Number 1 was finances, we are only young and only bought our first home less than a year ago. Despite the fact we have some savings left the cost of the wedding was going to mean another year of saving each month and going without things just for one day. It would also mean possibly taking out a loan which is something we really don't want to do.

- The big wedding would mean we probably couldn't afford a decent honeymoon. I think I would regret that more.

- We felt as though we just couldn't please anyone with the guests, unless we had like 120 people at the ceremony. I hate the thought of being the centre of attention among that many people and me and my OH also hated the fact that half of the people we would have invited we really weren't closely connected to, or hadn't even met them at all! Plus certain family members we'd felt forced to include have tendencies to get lairy when drinking and cause fights or trouble.

- I hate stress and already have my hands full with a house, toddler and degree, let alone with a huge wedding to plan.

So anyway last week we had a little chat together and also had chats with our parents and came to the conclusion that all we really want is to be married...so we thought we may as well just do it and have an intimate, low-key event instead. We both have our hearts set on this October so it's going to be a bit rushed but it's not as though there is a huge amount of planning to do.

I'm going to my local church tomorrow with my mum to see if they have an October date (any day will do though preferably a Friday if they have one free!) so me and my OH can have a ceremony there with 32 people.. our parents, grandparents, siblings, my sister-in-law and nieces and 4 of our closest friends (and our little boy obviously!). Then after the ceremony we'll just go for a nice meal out together somewhere.. there are a couple of pubs and restaurants I have contacted who have rooms for private dining so we'll most likely go to one of those. Then afterwards me and OH will go off somewhere of our choice for a whole weekend while my parents kindly look after Oliver! We're so excited and can't choose yet. My parents offered to have him for a week but he's too little to be left that long I think.

Anyway what I need to do so far...

- Visit church and book ceremony (tomorrow!)
- Choose venue and book for after ceremony dining (will do after church appointment tomorrow)
- Choose wedding dress (probably second-hand), wedding hair style, make-up and accessories.
- Choose colour theme.
- Choose a suit to hire for groom and choose a suit for Oliver our son and page boy.
- Choose and buy dresses for our 2 flower girls (my 6-year-old niece and OH's 6-year-old sister) and shoes.
- Choose flowers.. basically just a bouquet for me and buttonhole for groom.. perhaps something for the flower girls but not sure.
- Choose rings (me and OH going to look this weekend)

I think those are the main things so far! Very excited!

More planning to come! :)

Ooh congrats, sounds like its going to be lovely. I'm having a small wedding ceremony too, less than 50 will be there and the thought of speaking in front of all those people is terrifying haha. There are lots of fab finds on eBay and preloved. I bought my BM dress on eBay brand new for £30! Also you can get some fab artificial flowers on there too. Xx

So went to the church today and the reverend is on holiday until tomorrow, so I've been given his home number and email address and am about to compose an email to him. Fingers crossed we will be allowed to have a church ceremony at late notice!

I have also been looking into colour schemes and I'm thinking something purple-y. I love pinks but I don't know whether they're too summery for an Autumn wedding.

Here are the flower girl dresses I like:
https://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i463/tinkerbelle93/bridesmaid_zps33e777f8.jpg

Ooh congrats, sounds like its going to be lovely. I'm having a small wedding ceremony too, less than 50 will be there and the thought of speaking in front of all those people is terrifying haha. There are lots of fab finds on eBay and preloved. I bought my BM dress on eBay brand new for £30! Also you can get some fab artificial flowers on there too. Xx

Thank-you :) I'm still really scared about talking in front of that many people haha, maybe I'll have a champagne breakfast to calm the nerves! Yes I've been looking Ebay and Pre-loved also with a wedding dress in mind, keep seeing tons of those cheap Chinese dresses on Ebay and they look amazing but I don't know anyone who's bought one and if they're any good (or ethical lol). I had a look at the artificial flowers and they look really good also. xx

Stalking! Love the flowergirl dress, I was gonna get the same until we had to change our colour scheme. Look forward to reading more of your plans, I'm at the beginning of planning too :)

Re the dresses on eBay. I bought a gorgeous wedding dress from Shanghai for 100 quid it's beautiful but took 3.5 weeks to arrive!

Good luck with your plans I hope you get the day you want.

The china dresses do take a while to arrive so may be worth doing it now if you want one. I would suggest trying some on first though because the dress I thought I wanted didn't make me feel special enough when I had it on. Eep its so exciting! I have made my own invites and they're lovely and were cheap but you can also get gorgeous free printables!! Xx

So the priest finally got into contact with me after I left a phone message and an email, and me and my OH have to go to a meeting at his house next week. What is discussed at these meetings?

I'm very pleased though because I was unsure whether we'd be allowed a wedding because it's such short-notice, my partner is not christened and neither us attend church but they are absoloutely fine with all that! So now I need to decide which date I want for definite and start cracking on with dress-choosing etc. xx

Ooh good luck! I can't help with the meeting because I'm not having mine until October but my vicar said its lots of paperwork lol! Xx

We had a meeting with the vicar and are getting married on Friday October 11th at 1pm yay! I was really surprised at the meeting, I was really expecting to have lots of questions on faith and why we want to get married in a church but nothing!

Eeek I now have less than 2 months to organise everything. I rang up the cosy club restaurant round the corner from the church and their private upstairs room is free that date so going to ring tomorrow and book it so we can have a late lunch buffet afterwards. Also going to ring my MIL and SIL tomorrow to get my niece and my little SIL's dress and shoe sizes and order bridesmaid bits and bobs from BHS. I also need to get a dress! I think it's too late to go to a boutique so just going to look at Monsoon, BHS, Debenhams.. places like that where I can get my dress quite soon!

I also need to sort out the suits for the groom and page-boy! Luckily my auntie is a florist and has offered to do my flowers :) I also need to decide where me and OH will go to that weekend for our honeymoon!! Oh and my hen-party!!! Sooo much to do in such little time!! xx

Eep it's so exciting! Don't worry, you can do it. When my mother got married to her now ex husband (he was an abusive you know what!) she booked it with 6 weeks to go, and me being a 17 year old with no transport planned everything in that time. Good luck! Xx

Yayy! For booking a date! We have only had six months to plan ours. My best friend has been Amazon, A Weddih Less Ordinary and of course, good old EBay :)

Congratulations on booking your date! It all sounds so romantic.. happy planning :)

Thanks everyone! :)

Just having a bit of hassle buying things though like page boy suit and bits for the flower girls, it seems as though now is such a bad time to buy wedding things.. store websites usually have huge collections of stuff around summer but now there is only limited things with limited stock and it's never the colour or size I want in stock!

On the bright side my mum has ordered me 2 wedding dresses off BHS that were in the sale and they'll be here next week for me to try on yay! xx

Monsoon have their AW collection online now and its gorgeous (flower girls). Meant to say, what did the vicar ask? Xx

eBay has loads of lovely stuff..
I got my bridesmaid dresses and J's suit from there :) and loads of little bits, invites etc all at low costs :)
I planned my wedding in 5 months and that was stressful so I can't imagine the time limit youv given yourself! Braver than me lol..
Congratulations Hun, if you need any tips or anything from another low budget last ish minute bride ask away :) xx

Yay for wedding dresses.

I organised my wedding in six weeks, it was great.

Monsoon have their AW collection online now and its gorgeous (flower girls). Meant to say, what did the vicar ask? Xx

Ah thanks will check their flower girl things out :) And page boy things, finding it hard to get a nice page-boy outfit for my son. I've pretty much decided purple and silver as the theme colours though now!

The vicar didn't ask a lot about our faith or why marriage was important or anything like that.. it was just 'so you're getting married. You 100% certain about it?' and that was it on that front! Then we had to say the date we wanted and he put it in on the calendar and he wrote down our names, ages, occupations and our father's names and occupations on a form that we had to sign. Then he just gave us a load of leaflets and stuff and we have another meeting in 2 weeks about something as well, so maybe that will be more in-depth and long?? xx

eBay has loads of lovely stuff..
I got my bridesmaid dresses and J's suit from there :) and loads of little bits, invites etc all at low costs :)
I planned my wedding in 5 months and that was stressful so I can't imagine the time limit youv given yourself! Braver than me lol..
Congratulations Hun, if you need any tips or anything from another low budget last ish minute bride ask away :) xx

Thank-you! Luckily it's going to be very small, if it was a big wedding I would not be able to do it. I see from your sig that you're 19, nice to see other young brides.. I'm 20 and my fiance is 21 and the vicar was very surprised to see such a young couple! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->