My Misoprostol Miscarriage Story

nclady14

Reaction score
I am 32 and was pregnant briefly with our first pregnancy. At our 8 week appointment we found out the g.sac had no embryo: a blighted ovum. My husband and I grieved the loss of our pregnancy in the weeks after and hoped for a natural miscarriage. 2 weeks later, we decided to go the Misoprostol route.

I was worried about the pain. Previously, I had taken it for an IUD insertion and wasn't warned about the contractions it would induce! Also, I don't think I was given an appropriate dose for the reason I was taking it. I had also read a lot of horror stories from others about the pain they went through, so I was prepared for the worst. Or at least hoped I was prepared...

I actually ended up having a great experience all things considered so I thought it would help to share it with others going through this. As you know, every "body" is different, so your reaction will likely be different, but I think it's helpful to learn about others' experiences.

To prepare:
-------------
The night before, I took two prenatal pills and drank lots of water. The next day, I woke up and ate a solid breakfast (2 eggs), took 1 prenatal pill, and drank lots of water (with lemon). My room and bathroom were set up with: wipes, soft toilet paper, depends, pads, a heating pad, blankets, pillows, and a good magazine and book. I wrote everything down to make sure I was taking things at the right time and have my story documented.

My story:
----------
At 11am, I inserted vaginally dose #1 (2 400mg Misoprostol pills) as instructed and prescribed by my doctor. At the same time, I took 800mg of Motrin (only take every 8 hours).

About an hour later, I drank PMS tea, had lunch, and took a walk.

Around 3pm, I took dose #2 and went on a walk. I picked some good smelling flowers.

At 5pm, I start to feel crampy and have some low back pain. This worked out well because I worked from home all day and was able to get all of my work done without a problem. Also my husband was getting home from work and ready to offer some moral support! I start using my heating pad.

An hour later, I drank some more PMS tea with honey.

At 7pm, I took dose #3 and 800mg of Motrin.

An hour later, I went on a walk. I also noted here the Motrin was really helping with the cramps; they were like bad period cramps.

At 11pm, I took dose #4, the final dose. I put on a gown (for easy access) and a depends in case I started bleeding in the night.

At 1pm, I woke up and realized I'd started bleeding. I had cramps all day before but no bleeding yet. I'm glad (things are moving along) and go back to sleep.

At 3am, I wake up with intense cramps, more like contractions. I can feel them coming in waves. I'm glad because the process is starting to happen, but also nervous for the pain. I take 800mg of Motrin (on schedule). I turn the heating pad on high and sleep lightly.

At 6:45am, I wake up again to intense cramps that are more like contractions/labor pain. I get up, make some PMS tea, and eat a banana. At this point I decide to go into another room so I can move around, moan, etc. Whatever's happening now, this is (closer to) the main event.
I grab my heating pad, a fresh depends, and my tea, and head to the another room near a bathroom. (I never drank the tea because of the intensity.)

Around 8am, I've been moaning and moving around and swaying and trying to focus on my breath not the pain for about an hour.
Tracking time slips away and I'm on the floor on my back with my knees up and resting together when my husband walks in and I realize there's no more pain. I look up and there's a rush of blood. I stay there for a minute then decide to go to the bathroom. Blood comes out, then... something slides out.

I'm ecstatic!
All of the pain has been worth it. The goal is to empty the uterus. And I seriously feel amazing, like a warrior.
12 hours later, I'm bleeding like a med-heavy period, don't have any pain, and feel fine.

24 hours later I pass more tissue.
48 hours later I have heavy period bleeding, no more tissue.

Tips:
------
Be prepared. Have everything on hand and set up in your bathroom.

Eat well before, during, and after.

Understand that this is going to be painful but you will get to the other side.

Drink lots of water. Take a vitamin if you can.

Be kind to yourself. Rest. Ask for support from friends and family.

Trust yourself. This is YOUR process to own and go through. No one else can go through it for you. You can and will come out a warrior on the other side.

If you have excessive bleeding or uncontrollable pain for an extended period of time, call your doctor or 911.

Peace and love to all those who have or are going through this, or who are supporting loved ones going through a miscarriage. <3

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm so sorry for your loss.

It's comforting to know that the medical route can be manageable. I hope your rainbow comes along very soon xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->