My stretch and sweep worked!

Breeelizabeth

Reaction score
On the 2nd of February 2017, I had an appointment with my OB. I'd asked him the week before if he would consider giving me a stretch and sweep. He said not until I was 39 weeks. I was pretty bummed as we were experiencing a heatwave and I was over being pregnant. I was 39+5 on the 2nd, and looked forward to my sweep. I had two when I was pregnant with DD but neither sweeps worked so despite being hopeful I wasn't too convinced it would work this time around.

At 12:30 I got my sweep, OB said I was 2-3cm dialated but baby wasn't sitting overly low anymore. I thought "great I'll be getting induced again..." I made an appointment for a weeks time to schedule my induction.

I went home following my sweep and cleaned the house like a crazy person. DD was at daycare and I thought it would not only be a good chance to clean the house before baby came but might help bring on contractions. I went shopping and whilst I noticed minor cramps they weren't anything to write home about. I picked DD up from daycare, still in a little pain. I went home and cooked dinner and bathed my daughter and put her to bed when my contractions got a bit stronger. Again, they were fairly irregular so I wasn't at all concerned and thought they'd fizzle out.

I had the runs and couldn't get off the toilet because I had the constant urge to wee so I decided to hop in the shower to see if I could ease the pain up. I couldn't and at 6:30pm I finally realised that I was in actual labour.. I timed my contractions and they were only 3 minutes apart and lasted 55 seconds. I messaged my partner who was with his kids and he told me I should ring the midwife and ask their suggestion, of course, they told me to come in.

I was so unprepared, I didn't think I'd ever go into labour so hadn't even worked out where I would send DD while I was in hospital. I rang my mum (who was going to be one of my birth partners) and asked if my step-dad could watch Charlotte because "I think I'm in labour but I don't know and I don't want to ask too many people in case the hospital send me home"

I had to get Charlotte out of bed, pack the last of our stuff, told the washing and feed the dogs before I could leave. Those tasks were soooo hard and I needed to stop and breathe through every contraction. Even though I tried to hide it and at 2 years old DD could sense my pain. She kept asking me "what happened mummy" and then said "I love you mummy" after a contraction. I asked her to wheel her bag to the door so we could go and see nanny. I had to drive to my mum's house and had to time it in with my contractions which were less than three minutes apart.

When I arrived at mum's house she commented on how quickly my contractions were coming, I told her they'd probably die off. My OH arrived about 20 minutes later and he helped me to the car and drove me To hospital. I had three contractions from the car to the maternity ward!!! When I got there it was 7:30pm. They checked me and exclaimed "she's 8cm with bulging forewaters" and every one in the room said "you're going to have a baby Briana" but I still asked the nurse whether I was imagining the contractions. Soon after I begun pushing. I didn't have time for any pain relief. They gave me the gas and air but I only used the nozzle to bite on.

At 8:30 they broke my waters and at 8:34pm my son came into the world. I remember thinking "is this the ring of fire, it's not as bad as people make it out to be" He decided that he would stick his little hand up next to his head, so it took a little while to deliver him. My placenta came three minutes afterwards.

Madden weighed 7lbs 6oz and was 51cm long. He breastfed almost immediately. Initially the OB told me I didn't even tear but I discovered a large labial tear later that night, needed to be catheterised and stitched up the following day. I'm so incredibly proud - never did I think myself capable of a drug free, quick birth.

He is two weeks old now and is an incredibly content soul. I am so blessed with my pigeon pair!

Aww wonderful birth story! Congratulations!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->