my VBAC birth plan, does this sound ok to you?

LoolaBear

3 On Earth 1 in Heaven
Reaction score
i am wanting to keep things as natural as possible (in the hospital as i know if i didnt labour/birth there i would probably spend all my time panicing that im not anywhere near the hospital if things were to go wrong) and well i was just wondering if you lovely ladies could just take a gander at my birth plan (its just a draft copy for now) and see if it sounds ok to you?
also if there are any major points ive missed out then could you please let me know?

thank you :kiss: :flow:

•I do not give my consent to anything until it is an actual requirement and not just because it follows the NICE guidelines or until I request for it. This includes the need for constant fetal monitoring and the requirement for a canula.
•I wish to only use Gas and Air as pain relief. Under no circumstances will I accept Pethidine, I have had bad experiences with this in the past.
•I will accept Diamorphine if I feel I am loosing control.
•I will only accept an Epidural as a very last resort, do not offer this service to me I will only accept it if I request for it.
•I handle pain a lot more effectively whilst in water, if the birthing pool is available I wish to be allowed to progress in the pool.
•I want to keep as active as possible, so if this means going for a walk or just bouncing on a birthing ball if I request it I want it to happen.
•Under no circumstances will I allow or consent to an Episiotomy or a Forcep delivery. I have a major fear of both of these procedures and suffer from anxiety and panic attacks due to this phobia.
•If any form of surgical intervention is required due to the baby becoming distressed or things not going so well I wish for a caesarean to be the only method used.
•After the birth I want for the umbilical cord to remain untouched and intact until it ceases to pulsate. Only then do I consent to it begin cut.
•I want to deliver the placenta unaided.
•Once the cord has been cut it is then that I will allow baby to be weighed and checked, and then handed straight back to me for the first feed.
•I want the baby to naturally latch onto the breast and not helped into position.
•I want these points to be followed as much as they possibly can. I know that in labour things don’t always go to plan but I request that it is followed as much as possible until the priorities and requirements change.

:flow:

you could add things about who should be told things and who isnt who is allowed in and who isnt who you want to have contact if you cant ( for instance if you have to have a crash section) .... who is to hold baby after you x cant think of anything else at the mo xxx but will come back to you lol xx

you could add things about who should be told things and who isnt who is allowed in and who isnt who you want to have contact if you cant ( for instance if you have to have a crash section) .... who is to hold baby after you x cant think of anything else at the mo xxx but will come back to you lol xx

lol thanks lou, was wondering when you were going to pop up lol xx

ive been off comp for a while ( after gracie had to go hospital the other night )and only started stalking again this morning lol but i WILL be watching you lol ( im like big brother ) xx

•I do not give my consent to anything until it is an actual requirement and not just because it follows the NICE guidelines or until I request for it. This includes the need for constant fetal monitoring and the requirement for a canula.

Make this more clear - Permission for any procedure must be gained from me and my birth partner before going ahead.

I would say outright that you DO NOT want CFM and a Cannula - monitoring by intermittent sonicaid on request only - unless indications show repeatedly CFM is necessary.

•I wish to only use Gas and Air as pain relief. Under no circumstances will I accept Pethidine, I have had bad experiences with this in the past.
•I will accept Diamorphine if I feel I am loosing control.

Pare this down a little - I wish to use gas and air only, do not offer me other forms of pain relief.

Are you sure about diamorphine? It is a opiate like Pethadine and usually stronger so the effects and also side effects can be more prominent, diamorphine is clinical Heroin and like Pethadine will cross the placenta. If you had a bad experience in labour with pethadine I would suggest staying away from the opiates.

•I will only accept an Epidural as a very last resort, do not offer this service to me I will only accept it if I request for it.

•I handle pain a lot more effectively whilst in water, if the birthing pool is available I wish to be allowed to progress in the pool.
Good girl but you may have to fight for this being a VBAC whether you acquiesce to CFM or not

•I want to keep as active as possible, so if this means going for a walk or just bouncing on a birthing ball if I request it I want it to happen.

•Under no circumstances will I allow or consent to an Episiotomy or a Forcep delivery. I have a major fear of both of these procedures and suffer from anxiety and panic attacks due to this phobia.
•If any form of surgical intervention is required due to the baby becoming distressed or things not going so well I wish for a caesarean to be the only method used.

What about ventouse...an episiotomy is often required?

•After the birth I want for the umbilical cord to remain untouched and intact until it ceases to pulsate. Only then do I consent to it begin cut.
•I want to deliver the placenta unaided.
•Once the cord has been cut it is then that I will allow baby to be weighed and checked, and then handed straight back to me for the first feed.

I'd say baby to be checked and weighed when I am comfortable for it do be done, I was left nearly an hour before baby was weighed etc

•I want the baby to naturally latch onto the breast and not helped into position.
•I want these points to be followed as much as they possibly can. I know that in labour things don’t always go to plan but I request that it is followed as much as possible until the priorities and requirements change.

:flow:

My 2 penneth

Thank you! Will be giving it another go over on Monday as I saved it to my work computer lol x

The reason I say to simplify what is written down is hat usually who ever reads it isnt interested in why you've made your choices (if they read it at all) but they need to be able to see what you do/do not want at a glance.

My MW gave me the best advice which was to ensure you and birth partner both know what you want and are vocal about it

I would also write down what things you want to happen if you do have to have a 2nd csection.

^^^ WSS make sure you stress what you want if possible

I agree with the pethidine vs diamorphine point. Pethidine is just artificial diamorphine I think it just depends on which centre you end up in which one they use (although there was a shortage of diamorphine a few years ago). I had a bad experience with diamorphine and because of that I have also ruled out pethidine as an analgesic option.:flower:

I saw a really great birth plan recently - it was in two columns. "Yes please!" and "No thank you!" Awesome - often these wards are mega busy and the EASIER it is to see at a glance what you want, the more chance you've got it will actually be followed :)

Yours might look something like this:

(On the left of the page)
Yes please!
- ask before performing any procedure
- gas and air for pain relief
- Labour in water if possible
- Complete freedom of movement throughout
- Wait for the cord to stop pulsing before clamping
- Physiological third stage
- A caesarean section if surgical intervention is required.
- Delay routine weighing and newborn checks until the cord has been cut and I am ready to allow it
- Would like my baby to self attach

(On the right of the page)
No thank you
- No Continuous Fetal Monitoring
- No canula
- No opiates (bad previous experience).
- Please don't offer an epidural - I'll ask if I change my mind.
- No episiotomy or forceps (severe phobia, please avoid at all costs)

Other points.... Will you be consenting to Vitamin K? Jab or drops? Will you be breastfeeding? Who will be accompanying you?

Good luck :)

I saw a really great birth plan recently - it was in two columns. "Yes please!" and "No thank you!" Awesome - often these wards are mega busy and the EASIER it is to see at a glance what you want, the more chance you've got it will actually be followed :)

Yours might look something like this:

(On the left of the page)
Yes please!
- ask before performing any procedure
- gas and air for pain relief
- Labour in water if possible
- Complete freedom of movement throughout
- Wait for the cord to stop pulsing before clamping
- Physiological third stage
- A caesarean section if surgical intervention is required.
- Delay routine weighing and newborn checks until the cord has been cut and I am ready to allow it
- Would like my baby to self attach

(On the right of the page)
No thank you
- No Continuous Fetal Monitoring
- No canula
- No opiates (bad previous experience).
- Please don't offer an epidural - I'll ask if I change my mind.
- No episiotomy or forceps (severe phobia, please avoid at all costs)

Other points.... Will you be consenting to Vitamin K? Jab or drops? Will you be breastfeeding? Who will be accompanying you?

Good luck :)

wow that sounds excellent written like that. thank you :flow: x

No problem! I've been considering suggesting this layout for clients :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back