Mynx's Wedding Journal - *Woohoo I'm married!!!!*

Mynx

Mum of 2 Gorgeous Girls!!
Reaction score
Well, I thought it was about time I started writing one of these since I think I'm driving my OH bonkers talking weddings all the time :haha:

Firstly, I'll introduce myself properly and tell you a little about us :)

My name is Nix and my OH is Jay... we met initially about 12 years ago thru an online game called Quake (very old shoot em up stylie) We both used to play and we were part of a "clan" and most of them were from London, and I got on well with them so thought it would be a good idea to have a meet-up at my place...Soooo we would all meet up around once a month or so and would go out clubbing and generally getting very drunk and having loads of fun! :haha: I was with someone else at the time so we never really did anything about our feelings. The meet ups fizzled out after a couple of years and he met someone else and then we didnt hear from him for years ... till a mate of mine said he was in touch with Jay again and passed on my details. By this time I was single, so I was able to do something about my feelings, which I did... to say Jay was hesitant was an understatement! He's been hurt in the past (his ex dumped him about 6 months after finding out he has Mulitple Sclerosis) and it took him a long time to get over her so he wasnt really looking for a relationship... I persisted and 6 months after our first "date" he finally admitted that yes, this is what he wanted! Took some persuading I tell ya!
We'd been together for about a year and a half when I fell pregnant with Evie... that was a shock. But we were both adamant that we would go ahead with the pregnancy and take any pitfalls along the way. So he moved in with me in the August, and Evie was born in November :cloud9:
It's been bloody hard along the way tho, we hadnt been together all that long so living together AND looking after a newborn baby AND contending with his MS relapses (he gets relapses if he's stressed or run down) has been so demanding for all of us but we've battled thru them one by one.
For the last year or so, Jay has been saying that he wants to spend the rest of his life with me and for me to be his wife so at Christmas he got me an engagement ring... it wasnt quite the romantic "down on one knee" proposal that a girl hopes for but it was good enough for me :cloud9:
Soooo January we decided to start looking into a date to set for the wedding and finally settled on September 3rd 2011... we decided that we'd rather get married as soon as we can and it was a toss up between a holiday or a wedding :haha: We worked out how much it was going to cost and thought that we might just be able to do it if we kept everything on very small scale.

When we announced the date to our parents, my dad said he'd give us some cash towards it, as did Jay's parents, so we got 2 very nice lump sums, and that has meant that we could go a little bigger and better for the actual day :happydance: Dont get me wrong, it's still on a small scale, just not as small as it was going to be ;) The venue is costing us just over £3,000 and that's a drinks reception when we first get there, champagne toasts, sit down meal for 30 people, evening reception, dj, finger food for the evening, complimentary bridal suite for the night, table decorations and reduced room rates for our guests should they need a room :thumbup:
Everything else is going to cost around £800, so for just under £4k, we really have kept the cost down, without it being too cheap iykwim?

So here we are.. just under 5 months to go and I have to say that I CANNOT WAIT! :happydance:
I've been so organised that it's scaring even me :haha: but we're getting there...

I'm having 1 bridesmaid (my almost 19 year old daughter Elisha) and 2 flower girls (Evie who will be 22 months and Nikkinoonoo's daughter Jessica who will be 3)

So far we've bought/sorted out ...

Venue - Booked, needs to be paid for which we'll paying for some of it today at some point
Registry Office - Booked
Notice of Marraige - done and paid for (getting married in a registry office has saved us around £500!)
Wedding Dress - Ordered and paid for, just waiting for it to arrive now.
Wedding Shoes - Bought
Wedding Jewellry - Bought
Veil - Bought
Tiara - Bought
Garter - Bought
Groom's Tux - Bought
Groom and Best man's Waistcoats/cravats/Tie Pins/Wing collar shirts - Bought
Flowers (My Bouquet, 1 posie and 25 rose button holes) - Ordered and paid for, just waiting for arrival... we've gone with silk flowers because OH suffers from hayfever and also so they wouldnt wilt on the day :D
Flower girl Wands - Bought
Mothers Coursages - Bought (silk again for hayfever reasons)
Groom, Best man and Fathers buttonholes - Bought, waiting to receive
Invites - Printed, received and sent out along with RSVPS
Placecards - Bought, just need to get names on them now
Bridesmaid accessories - Ordered
Flower Girl Accessories - Ordered

I think all we need to sort out now is the bridesmaid dress/shoes, and the flower girls dresses/shoes but I cant get them till August as Elisha wants to lose some weight first and the flower girls will still be growing!
I also want to get some "busy bags" for the kids that will be at the meal... there'll only be 2 other little ones under 5 at the meal (there'll be more in the evening) so it should be pretty easy to sort out some activity bags for them :)

Also need to get some "thank you" gifts sorted out ...

Bridesmaid (Elisha) - Necklace
Flower Girls - What to get 2 toddlers as a thank you?!?!?! Ideas welcomed!
Fathers - Booze lol! Jay's dad loves a good bottle of red wine and my dad loves his vodka ;)
Mothers - Bouquet of flowers each
Best man - Bottle of something... not sure what he drinks altho I'm sure Jay will know.
Jay's sister - We want to get her something as she's getting the cakes sorted out :)

Cant think of anything else at the moment! My brain is fried :rofl:

If you've managed to read this far then yay! :happydance: Hope I havent bored you too much :haha:

I'll probably post some piccies as we get closer to the day :D

You can't bore us lot with wedding talk, don't you worry! You sound very organised :hugs:

xxx

Sounds perfect. Will look forward to following you count down x

Aaaagh, you are one week before me! SO excited!!!!

Sounds Lovely. Will be following your journey and will look forward to the final countdown.

You are very organised, sounds like it will be a lovely day :)

it sounds so beautiful! please share with us your venue, decoration ideas, menu and of course- the dress!!!!!!!!!

Piccies will follow soon :D

The venue is a local hotel to us and altho the surrounding area isnt great, the hotel itself has lovely gardens which will be perfect for the photos :thumbup:
Our decoration ideas have been left in the hands of the co ordinator at the hotel... within the price of our wedding package is the table flower arrangements and the top table arrangement along with balloons too ... but we've asked for a red and cream theme (think strawberries and cream at Wimbledon!) which the manager has passed on to their florist. The manager has also said that anything extra we want to take in (eg Table confetti, place cards etc) we can take in the night before and as long as we leave full instructions with them, then they'll put them out exactly as we want :thumbup: That really takes the pressure off me because when we first started organising this wedding, it was looking likely that we'd be hiring a hall and I'd be rushing round like a blue arsed fly trying to get everything done!

As for our menu, we've played it safe lol!
Starter - Fan of Melon with seasonal fruits and raspberry coulis
Main Course - Half a roast chicken with sage and onion stuffing, roast potatoes, cauliflower and cheese sauce and carrots (and of course gravy lol)
Dessert - Warm apple pie with vanilla cream.

We thought that seeing as it was a set menu, that we'd be better off playing it safe... of course there's a vegetarian option but we dont have any veggies coming for the meal ;) We have a few nut allergy sufferers and a child that's dairy intolerant so that has to be talked over with the chef :D

My dress, well, I've taken a bit of a risk really and ordered one from China :S I just hope it arrives and it's ok! *crosses fingers* It's a strapless A-Line floor length (no train) satin gown with flower aplique and beading details on the bodice. It's very pretty and very understated as we're having a small ceremony in a registry office so I didnt want anything too over the top. I did orginally buy another one (second hand) and when it arrived, it was lovely but it was far too big and the train was alot longer than I expected it to be :( It just didnt work for me so I took the risk on this new one from China ... I'm constantly worrying that it wont arrive tho so I'm making sure I have some money aside to either get another new one or to alter the first one I bought :( My dress is due to be shipped out on the 25th April so fingers crossed it all goes well!

Jay's Suit.... well the first tux he ordered came to him way too big! And also, very scratchy, itchy and heavy... turns out that tuxedos usually contain a wool blend and he's allergic to real wool! Eeek! So we had to send it back :( We did find another however, and a proper budget suit (sounds bloody awful but really, it's not!) from ... *drum roll please* ASDA!!!! It arrived, and it fits perfect in every way, and is light weight, non scratchy and looks amazing on him :cloud9: He's a very happy bunny with it! It was £35 for the jacekt and £10 for the trousers... with postage it all came to £50 :D Proper bargain! And you wouldnt think it was a cheap suit, it looks so nice and crisp, best of all it's lightweight, just perfect for the summer :D
He and the best man (who already had a black single breasted tux) have matching cream waistcoats, along with cream cravats and silk hankies and they both have a matching red rose cravat pin (so lovely) So all Jay needs now are some new shoes and he's ready to go :happydance:

I have my shoes... not sure about them yet as they were darker than expected them to be.. turns out they're champagne coloured, not ivory :( But they're bloody gorgeous! I'll post piccies once Evie is in bed :)
I also have my jewellry which are diamante flowers - matching necklace, earrings and bracelet... my tiara also has small flowers in diamante which will compliment the flower apliques on the dress ... my veil is a 2 tier shoulder length ivory one (rat tailed edges) with diamantes on, looks lovely.. altho still not sure if I'll be wearing it yet!

Flowers - will also post pics of these up later, but as I said before, we've gone with silk for a number of reasons... budget.. they're cheaper than real flowers, they wont wilt on the day, we can have them delivered weeks before the wedding rather than hours, and also, OH suffers really badly with hayfever! I managed to get the bridal bouquet, 1 bridesmaid posie, 2 flower girl wands, 25 regular rose button holes, 4 groom/best man buttonholes, and 2 ivory lily coursages for around £100.. I didnt think that was bad! And the ones I've received so far are gorgeous! :thumbup:

Cant really think of anything else to add atm, but will try and get some piccies uploaded later on :) x

Thanks hun, it's not going to be the fanciest of weddings, or the biggest, but tbh, we're both a little long in the tooth now for all that :haha: Neither of us are big on grand gestures so it'll be just right for us :)

I'm on the lookout for a frilly ivory bib for Evie and also a really pretty frilly or sparkly babygro for the evening lol! She usually goes to bed at 8pm so she'll be about ready to pass out by 10pm so we want to make sure she's ready for bed, but still in party mode :haha: Jay's parents will be having her overnight in their hotel room so they'll want to transfer her from her buggy to her cot without disturbing her too much!

everything sounds lovely...and you kept mentioning the budget but I think it sounds like you'v got everything you wanted!

...looking forward to seeing pics of all these bits! :flower:

https://baby.shop.ebay.co.uk/Baby-/...=1&_npmv=3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1

not sparkly- but GORGEOUS!

https://www.notonthehighstreet.com/bodieandfou/product/685_angel_baby_gro

Ooo loving those bibs, thanks Nik :D

And omg, that onesy is gorgeous!!! Love those little angel wings on it! :cloud9:

that onesie is ADORABLE!!

Aww might just have to get one of those for abigail anyway! Too cute!

This site shows you how to 'make over a onesie'! You could choose whatever onesie you wanted and add a little bit of netting to make a tutu! Would be comfy and cute! :thumbup:

https://www.favecraftsblog.com/how-to-makeover-a-onesie/

Ooo thanks for that link hun, I've about given up trying to find an appropriate babygro now :( The closest I got was a really nice pair of Humphrey's Corner pjs from Mothercare.. the traditional layette style ones, they were really cute too :thumbup:
But if I can adapt a plain babygro into something personal for us then all the better!! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->