Name rant ..... UGH!!!!

pinkpassion

3dd/5inHeaven/familycomplete
Reaction score
So... this is probably bothering me because of my crazy hormones and I realize is minor in the grand scheme of things but it currently feels really huge and I want to cry!!
This is our first baby, a miracle, we've had 3 losses and this baby is so special to us.. we found out at 15 weeks she is a girl and announced right away that her name is Hannah...
At my church there's a group of 6 pregnant ladies (it's a small church too) and only one other is having a girl.. this lady just found out she's having a girl and announced today that she's naming her Hannah.. I was told that before she announced she was told we'd already chose that name and I was told that her response was "so I don't care" ... she has a daughter already and I guess I just feel like our daughters will be competing and I don't want that.. I want my daughter to have her own name (I know I can't avoid that forever but still)... she will grow up with this other girl..
Someone told me today that I could change my baby's name but that just wouldn't be right... we've been calling her by name for the last 7 weeks and already made her name thing above her crib...
Someone tell me it's normal to feel upset and does anyone have advice?! I don't want to feel this way and be jealous but I am.....:shrug:

This girl is 2 months behind me in her pregnancy

If you were behind her in your pregnancy then I'd probably be more upset but you're naming your baby girl Hannah first, she'll be here and present first, everyone already seems to know that Hannah is the name that YOU have chosen.

I can understand how and why you feel the way you do though. One of my colleagues had her a baby girl this morning and named her a name that I quite liked (although we never discussed names), it's not even like I had my heart set on this name and yet I still felt slightly robbed.

Try not to let it bother you (easier said than done, I know) and definitely don't change the name xx

Ugh! I hate when people do that stuff. :( Do you know this gal well? You said that the two babies will be growing up together? I can totally see why you are upset, I would be too! There's not much you can do about it though.. Maybe if the girls grow up together they will think it's kind of fun having the same name? Are you a nick name kind of person? Maybe they will have different nicknames.
Your story rung a bell to me, my SIL had something similar happen. I have a nephew named Cyrus and since he was just a baby everyone calls him Cyguy. Well our friend, who knows that whole family very well, and his GF got pregnant when Cyrus was about 4. Guess what? They named the baby Syrus. Out of all the times. AND what makes it really awkward is she took Cyrus's nickname and calls the baby Syguy. Totally weird. At least pick a different nickname people! :p

Hope you get it all situated, Hannah is a lovely name. :hugs:

Sorry love, but that's a very common name and your daughter will be around other Hannah's the rest of her life. As PP said, you're due first anyway. Try to write it off as flattery on a beautiful name choice. Must be upsetting since you announced it though, I can certainly understand!

I know.. it's these crazy hormones and it's minor.. I just want my baby girl to be special with her name.. I guess because I have a special name I wanted that for her.. and I picked Hannah because it means something special to me.. it's a common name but not that common really.. I've only met 2 Hannah's in my entire life... o well :/

Yea I agree with the PP. You're baby will be born first so it's the name that will stick in everyone's minds so by the time her baby is born everyone will be like oh ANOTHER Hannah. They will see she lacks originality. Don't worry hun you shouldn't have to change the name for her. I hate people like that. She just sounds malicious. x

I totally understand where you're coming from.

But who knows what'll happen in the future? Maybe the other family will move away, or go to a different church. Your girls may not even be friends and won't be around each other. There's still sooo much time before they even learn how to make friends and start "hanging out" with friends. :hugs:

ETA: Plus, for two months you can be all, "Hannah this, or Hannah that" and by the time the other Hannah pops out, people will be like, "Oh wow, they copied so-and-so". lol Don't worry.

She'll probably get bored and choose a different name by then anyway ;) xx

I'm sorry to hear you goin through this :( I would still call your baby girl Hannah, it's a lovely name :) my SIL is called Hannah but we call her hanzy (I'm not really sure why) I went school with loads of Hannah's but I don't know of any babies bwing called Hannah now so it's obviously not so much of a common name xx

Btw if we have a girl one of our middle names will be Hannah :) xx

Oh, that sucks. I wouldn't change your baby's name. Maybe by the time this other girl has her baby she'll choose a different name. And like someone else said, you never know if this person will move or lose touch with you. If you choose another name you might regret it later. If I have a girl I already have a name picked out for her and there's no way in hell I would change it.

Thanks guys y'all make me feel much better.. I know I'll get over it and You're right they may move away!! It's just a little frustrating that it's even an issue... you guys are so supportive.. I'm going to use her name so much!!!

I dont really honestly see a problem. Its a name. And another family can name their girl just the same name as you are naming your girl. Nothing to stress or be upset about :)

I understand you being upset since you announced it first and all. Hopefully she changes her mind!

When we named my daughter, her name was very uncommon for a girl. Now I hear it everywhere! It takes some getting used to, but once she is here you will have YOUR Hannah and nothing else matters.

It's still the name that you and your OH chose for those special reasons. Someone else having the same name doesn't make your reasons any less special! It just means they think you made a great choice in names :)

I know how frustrating the name thing can be. My DH and I have decided not to tell anyone our son's name. I hate hearing people's opinions or having them say, oh I know someone with that name and he looked like this and acted like that.

But to hear that someone else is naming their daughter the same as you are naming your's after you announced it and saying, I don't care, is a little rude. But they might have special reasons for that name too. I think Hannah is a beautiful name. <3

Sorry love, but that's a very common name and your daughter will be around other Hannah's the rest of her life. As PP said, you're due first anyway. Try to write it off as flattery on a beautiful name choice. Must be upsetting since you announced it though, I can certainly understand!

:thumbup:

Yea it is a beautiful name and it is a bit flattering , even though I know she wasn't trying to be flattering.. I've decided not to let it bother me.... my Hannah will be so special it won't matter!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->