Name rant ..... UGH!!!!

This happened with my Mom when she was pregnant with me. Her friend said she was going to name her first born daughter Amanda after my Mom made it clear to her that that's the name she chose for me. My Mom ended up coming up with a different name as a result, but I never even met the girl with my "original" name until high school funny enough. So even if she named me Amanda, it wouldn't have affected my life if any way anyhow!

Besides, like other PP's have said, your baby will have been born first so everyone will know she was the first Hannah and that this other chick couldn't come up with something else, knowing full well this was going to be your baby's name.

PS: How does she even know the gender if she's 2 months behind you???

Go ahead and name her hannah. She probably will end up naming her daughter to something else, especially if you gave birth before she. You know, Early bird get the worm. But if she still used that name, probably because she have a good reason for it.

beside, people come and goes in church. One of you probably end up going to another church. If not, oh well, there is two Hannah at church

Stick with the name you've chosen since the beginning! :thumbup:

We decided (at 9weeks) if our bub was a boy, he would be Jaxon. Since telling close friends/family we've had my SIL kick up a storm because her boyfriends son is Jackson. Therefore she threatened to call our LO Harry (nickname from Harold, middle name). I just think that is absurd. Her boyfriend isn't even a concern of mine! I know Jaxon/Jackson is a popular name, but we are set on it.

Stick to your guns ladies :flower:

I'd be upset as well. Like others have said though you picked it first and will use it first. You've already been calling her Hannah don't let anyone take that away from you.

I'm in the opposite problem. We really like Ellie Ann. Ann is my middle name and my grandma's. We don't know any Ellie's but our friends named their baby Lily Ann. Not the same but similar. We're stuck on what to do now. :dohh:

She said her Dr invented the materniT21 test so all her patients get it for free and that's how she just found out... ???
She was asked why she chose that and someone told me she said because she just likes it... I've yet to talk to her, I've nothing against her and not upset with her in the slightest.. I just am a bit disappointed.. my hubby and I talked about it and we aren't going to concern ourselves with it.. it is what it is.. I know I can't keep her the only Hannah in the world but come on, a small church they will be in the same classes and they will be the only girls I'm a group of boys and they'll both have the same name (I know more people will come to our church with kids her age) I'm just thinking short term..

So... this is probably bothering me because of my crazy hormones and I realize is minor in the grand scheme of things but it currently feels really huge and I want to cry!!
This is our first baby, a miracle, we've had 3 losses and this baby is so special to us.. we found out at 15 weeks she is a girl and announced right away that her name is Hannah...
At my church there's a group of 6 pregnant ladies (it's a small church too) and only one other is having a girl.. this lady just found out she's having a girl and announced today that she's naming her Hannah.. I was told that before she announced she was told we'd already chose that name and I was told that her response was "so I don't care" ... she has a daughter already and I guess I just feel like our daughters will be competing and I don't want that.. I want my daughter to have her own name (I know I can't avoid that forever but still)... she will grow up with this other girl..
Someone told me today that I could change my baby's name but that just wouldn't be right... we've been calling her by name for the last 7 weeks and already made her name thing above her crib...
Someone tell me it's normal to feel upset and does anyone have advice?! I don't want to feel this way and be jealous but I am.....:shrug:

Hi, there. I am sorry about your being upset. :hugs: I think I would be a little too. But if Hannah was a name she was already in love with and had special meanings behind for her then I could see her just sticking with what she wants.

I have also had 3 losses and am naming my new girl Hannah too. I picked it out after my loss last fall because of the Hannah in the Bible where she wanted a baby and God gave her one. So I knew that if I was ever to get my girl that's what I would name her. I had another loss this spring and found out my SiL was expecting. And of course they were having a girl. I had to pass on the message that I WOULD be naming my girl Hannah no matter what so if they wanted that name then the cousins would share a name (though I would have compromised on changing the spelling just to change things up). My married name is different now so at least their last names would be different! Thankfully, they went with a completely different name and I don't even know if they would have wanted the name Hannah in the first place. BUT the point is I would have stuck to my guns. The name was way, WAY too precious to me. So I can kind of see both sides.

Your little Hannah is coming first and she will be so special in her own way that I'm sure her personality will make her stand out from the other Hannah just like she will have her own special traits. It is a fairly common enough name and I"m sure they'll learn to make up their own nicknames for each other. In my group of friends growing up there were two girls with the same name so they just called each other by the first name plus the final initial. we just got so used to it that it didn't sound odd. They also spelled their names differently.

edit; I see that you said she picked it "just because" so that does make it harder. If she picked it just because she was inspired by your choice then that seems a bit silly. But people like what they like and if she posted a thread about it then people would tell her to just go for it. I'm sure your girls will work it out.

Names are special to those that have chosen them for a multitude of reasons. It may be that there is something significant behind her decision, so try to give her the benefit of the doubt.

If it was family then yes, I would be upset but this is a person that may move away in a few years and it is extremely unlikely that the girls will know each other their entire lives.

Your Hannah will have her own identity, her own middle name and you as parents to guide her. That will make her more unique than anything else.

I had friends at school with the same name and they loved it, they were close and would always be looking for new and fun ways to add a little nickname or something else in there to show them apart, but it was never done with rivalry.

It's hard because we put so much of ourselves into picking a name but please don't let this spoil your enjoyment of it. :hugs:

This girl is 2 months behind me in her pregnancy

This. :hugs:

I understand your frustration. One of my friends called one of her twins Amelia, after asking me what my daughters middle name was. I felt like, :dohh: why even bother asking?
My daughter was 3 at the time! But it still annoyed me.

I go through all the hassle to find a name which isn't in my hubby's family (he's got a big family) and a name none of my friends or their offspring have. To have all that effort thrown back in my face :dohh:

I get the whole, flattery thing but it's just frustrating so I feel your pain :hugs:

Thanks guys, I really do feel better today, but I DO NOT feel foolish for feeling the way I did... those are normal feelings and especially being our first living baby and wanting everything to be special.. but in the end I realize that she will be special regardless and her name is so special to me!! I can't wait to meet her.. she's going to be perfect.. :)

im sorry but some peoples views on this shock me

you have absolutely NO idea why this woman picked this name and calling her uncreative etc... is pathetic

I have my next 2 son/daughters names picked they have been picked for over 10 years they ARE my kids names no matter who uses them come hell or high water and I personally wouldnt give two flying f***s if someone in our church also wanted to use the names because they are ALREADY my kids names but if someone told me I was uncreative, tried to make me feel guilty or told me to pick a different name then my response would be so rude it couldnt be posted here - id tell them EXACTLY where to shove their stupid opinion on something they know nothing about

to the OP its a standard classic name so there was always a risk it could happen (even though it must be a little upsetting) but if you love the name stick with it, she probably has had that name picked for a long time too for her own reason and neither should detract from each other specialness

if you want to make it different you could go for Hana?

I agree Hannah is a somewhat common name so it's bound to get "copied" at one point or another. It's unfortunate that you trusted these people enough to let them know Hannah's name but for all we know the other girl could've had chosen Hannah years ago for her girl's name as well. It doesn't have to be a negative thing. It's not like it's a more uncommon name being purely copied. My girl's name will likely be Mikaelyn and while I wouldn't be offended in the slightest if someone copied me, I'd feel like they got inspiration from me as I have yet to hear this being a name at all.

I also just LOVE the name Jacob, and it's SUPER common and growing in popularity still...but people have their reasoning for liking names whether it be family related, remembrance of a loved one, or just purely because it sounds nice...nothing should effect how you feel deep inside.

The name Thomas means a TON to me, and I am definitely using this as my boy's middle name, and no matter how many people name their child Thomas, it is still going to have a different, more special name to me

I can understand your annoyance, but...it really doesn't matter!
Your Hannah is yours and hers is hers. Other than the name, they are nothing alike.

A few things:
1) She's very early in her pregnancy and may still change her mind (and so might you)
2) Hannah is a very popular name; I believe its in the top 20 in most countries. I even know a little girl my daughter's age living in Mexico named Hannah. So you'd be bound to encounter many Hannahs throughout life regardless of what she picks.
3) Even if they have the same name, your daughter will be special and completely different because she's yours!

If it still really bothers you, maybe look into similar sounding names, or just use Hannah as a nickname. Itll be fine :flower:

That would upset me so much. Sorry you're going through that. I would not change my child's name if it was a name I was set on :)

I feel like some of y'all don't read the thread fully.. which is frustrating...
1. I'm over it, it was just a point of frustration and disappointing
2. She outright said she just picked the name randomly and that she already knee I'd picked it.
3. I'm not asking for there to never be another Hannah.. I know it's a common name, and I know we will encounter plenty in our lifetime...
4. I just wanted to rant about it to talk about how I was feeling since I didn't feel right about talking about it to any of my close friends (also church members)..
There.. end of discussion I guess.. I am not changing my babies name at all.. she's been called Hannah from the beginning... we already have things made specifically for her with her name on it...

2. She outright said she just picked the name randomly and that she already knee I'd picked it.
3. I'm not asking for there to never be another Hannah.. I know it's a common name, and I know we will encounter plenty in our lifetime...
4. I just wanted to rant about it to talk about how I was feeling since I didn't feel right about talking about it to any of my close friends (also church members)..
There.. end of discussion I guess.. I am not changing my babies name at all.. she's been called Hannah from the beginning... we already have things made specifically for her with her name on it...

good that your over it and good luck with our Hannah but to be honest though 'picking it randomly' doesn't mean anything at all... I picked my kids names 'randomly' (i.e its not a family name, dont know anyone the names, just love the sound/feel/flow of it - 'randomly' is how the majority of people name their kids) but they have still been picked for over 10 years and are my kids name and even if their was a deeper meaning or even a silly reason I would hardly be likely to tell random people I only see at church who are going to gossip behind my back :wacko:

Gossip behind their back?! Ugh, whatever... end of discussion!!!!!

Gossip behind their back?! Ugh, whatever... end of discussion!!!!!

:-s really? how old are you lol

talk about spitting the dummy out... ive never heard anyone over 15 use 'urg, whatever' lol

no one was rude to you at any point but your attitude today is quite shocking, if you dont like peoples opinion (even though NO ONE said anything bad) then dont post on an opinions thread or just stop reading like an adult, not hard :coffee:

also yes gossip, that's basically what all your 'info' on here has come from people 'talking' about this woman and now your on an internet thread ranting to strangers about it - if you cant see that's what you have wrote/are doing then god help you

If you were over it you wouldn't have come on here and ranted about it. Also i think you have been quite rude. What kind of response would you have liked? because i can't really see what else you would like people to say.

I was just trying to help with some kind words! Sorry if it frustrated you.

Not all of us have time to read entire threads.. you'll see when you have a little one

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->