name sharing- mini rant.

KeepingHope12

Mommy of 2
Reaction score
So, just found out my aunt and uncle are due with their 5th baby shortly after DH and I are due with our 1st baby girl. Apparently, if they have a girl as well, they have chosen the same name as our daughter. Can't exactly say I am happy about it and in fact slightly pissed.. UGH!! Whining, over.

Did they know that you had chosen that name? If so I dont blame you for being pissed, I would consider that way crossing the line.

I agree with PP if they knew you had chosen that name then they over stepped... are you going to keep the name now? your baby will be born first I guess so they will have to choose something else? xxx

Wow! Did they know that was the name you had chosen? That is why I didn't share my baby's name at first and also the names I have chosen for my next children, people are so annoying! You are having your baby first so you get first choice :)

I agree with the others that if they knew you had picked that name I can see why you would be rather upset by it. However if they didn't know that you picked it they probably feel that same as you do! It doesn't matter if it is your first of fifth baby, you will still want to pick a name you like and you can't really expect them to change it.

On the plus side your baby will be here first so the name is yours! :)

Thanks ladies. Now that I've slept on it I feel a little better about it. Can't say I'm thrilled, but whatever. They don't want to know the gender so now I'm hoping its a boy. Lol. I am just really bummed because DH and I picked Grace because we don't know a single person with that name and we spent so much time picking it out. Its literally the only name we could agree on. I'm almost 100% certain that my mom told them we had chosen it, but I could be mistaken and this could just be an unfortunate thing. Doesn't exactly make us any less disappointed. But no matter what, we have already bonded with our littlee girl as Grace and we aren't changing it so what will be, will be. As long as our baby is happy and healthy, that's the most important thing.

This happened with us too... We found out our little one was a girl at 16 weeks and announced that we would be calling her Alice... My stepsister found out(10wks ahead of me and team yellow) said oh well that was the name we were going to use if we had a girl... They didn't mention this to anyone! Alice is my Nan's name and that's why we chose it and love it so much... Out of my dad's 6 other children and 11 grandchildren not one of them was called Alice... Well we hoped that she would just have a boy and she wouldn't use the name we picked... Well she had a girl and called her Alicia... We were happy with that and even if she had of used Alice we wouldn't have changed our little girls name... I'm not close to any of my step siblings so I didn't see it an issue( other than it pissing me off haha) my Nan(in her 90's said she thought my stepsister was being competitive calling her baby Alicia which gave me a laugh)

thanks, ladies! Turns out I was mistaken and we both just happened to pick the same name. However, they say that they chose it first. Just a little back-story. My aunt and uncle never told the family that they were expecting, nor did they ever say they had chosen a girl name. So, before any of that came out, DH and I chose the name and told our families AND posted it on facebook...that is how aunt an uncle found out. Yet, at Easter yesterday, they wouldn't talk or even look at us. Is it fair that they are mad at us even though we didnt know and they didn"t say anything? We chose the name a month and a half ago....

Lol I'm sorry but I find this a little bit childish! What does it matter what they call their child? How often are you going to see her if it even is a her, and everyone has the right to call their child whatever they want. It won't make a button of difference to you in the long run. I don't understand why people get on the way they do over these things!

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with multiple girls/boys in a family with similar names. In my family we have a ton of Marys, Maries and Kathleens (my middle name is Marie), and Grace is common in my DH's family--pretty much all of the granddaughters have Grace in their name somwhere in honor of his late grandmother, whom everyone adored.

We named our daughter Mary Grace (for my mother and DH's grandmother), and DH's brother has a daughter Mary Elizabeth (who is 16 years old, but still, they are first cousins). We do call our daughter Grace though.

I think there is nothing wrong at all with you sticking to the name you have chosen for your little girl. DH and I had decided years ago (we have been married 17 years!) that if we had a daughter she would be called Mary Grace, and we didn't let anyone else's choices through the years, all the Marys and Graces that have come, change that! Nor have we ever had any bad feelings towards any of our cousins or siblings choosing those names.

If I were you, I would not change your DDs name for the world. She is your precious little Grace, and you have every right to keeping her name. If your aunt and uncle also want to use the name for their DD, that is up to them, and they have no reason to be upset with you imo. (I also think that the world could never have enough beautiful little Graces in it!--but I am biased! :flower:)

When we told everyone I was pg, we announced our girl's name pretty early (didn't have a boy name picked) because I had 3 sil's pg at the same time and I wanted dibs on my name! ;) I wouldn't change her name, it's not your fault they didn't tell anyone. Nothing wrong with two kids in a family with the same name though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->