Names that are clearly Welsh/Scottish?

SweetWitch

Reaction score
So the child's gonna be part Welsh part Scottish, both parents (my cousin and her hubby :laugh2:) want names that will make it clear that they are Welsh and Scottish names. Since I'm a name freak, I'm the captain of the 'search' team :happydance:

The Welsh names on the list (updated):
Siân
Meinir
Branwen
Eirwen

They decided Mòrag for Scottish middle name but also thinking Moira and Iona too.

Their first choice was Eira but apparently people outside Wales mispronounce the name a lot, like eye-ra or ay-ra, it is pronounced AIR-ah. That is a problem, I guess the name also used in Scandinavia and that's where other pronounciations come. So Eirwen may be another option for that name.

The point is, they do not want an international name like Mary or Sarah, you know what I mean? So which name sounds Welsh most? You can also add Scottish name suggestions, or more Welsh name suggestions, we're open to all suggestions!!!

Wynn
Aled
Brogan
Iain

The baby is female dear, sorry I didn't mention, I thought the names would make it clear :blush:

sorry just wrote down the names of my scottish/welsh friends lol

wynn and brogan are female

We use Wynn for both genders :D (In fact in Welsh -wyn is male -wen is female, they normally come after names i.e Elwyn m Elwen f), but didn't know about Brogan and it sounds cute actually :D

Sian or Heulwen?
For Scottish names: Mhairi, Kerry, Maired or Lorna maybe?

I love Arwen, but my husband is Mexican, so a Welsh first name with a Mexican last name doesn't really work... but that would be my #1 choice...

i instantly thought Eira was irish?? though im not 100% sure.

i love Isla which is scottish and i love Ceri which is welsh

Bronwen is one of my favourites. I like Clodagh and Bronagh too but they may be Irish? I agree with PP that Arwen is beautiful and I like Eira a lot- the pronunciation might not bug her too much, great conversation starter.

Currently, they're focused on Branwen and Meinir.

Ceri and Siân also seems lovely and are on the list now.

How would you pronounce Meinir? (don't reply if you speak Welsh, no cheating lol)

Currently, they're focused on Branwen and Meinir.

Ceri and Siân also seems lovely and are on the list now.

How would you pronounce Meinir? (don't reply if you speak Welsh, no cheating lol)

me/may-ner?

took a while of looking for me to come to that conclusion lol certainly not a name you could just look at and pronounce (although saying that it took me two years to get used to sian and still mess up sean by saying see-an all the time and thats quite common)

Welsh - Sian & Ffion

Scottish - Isla & Iona

My faves

I LOVE Eira! Its sooo pretty.
I can't really help with Scottish names but a few Welsh ones that I love are :

Anwen
Cerys
Bronwen/Branwen
Aerona
Sioned
Ffion
Tagan

Xx

Scottish: Eilidh (pronounced Ay-ley), Mairi, Flora, Rhona, Aisla, Isobel, Maisie, Moira, Elspeth, Ishbel.

Out of interest, what part of wales are you from? Because where I'm from in north wales we Do pronounce Eira "Ay-ra"! And my friend with that name goes crazy when "foreigners" say "air-ah".
I think Haf is a really cute name ;) x

Seren is a lovely welsh girls name, Siân is pretty obviously welsh, no one ever ask me where I'm from! That said I do get called 'Sigh-Anne' or 'Shaun' a lot!

If Celtic is good enough Erin and Niamh are lovely too

My sisters middle name is Eluned which is nice welsh one

Catrin, Nia, Eleri, Bronwen, Sioned, Ffion, Mair, Frieda, Mai are some of my Welsh friends names (not sure they're all purely welsh though!)

My favourite though is Mehefin.

Out of interest, what part of wales are you from? Because where I'm from in north wales we Do pronounce Eira "Ay-ra"! And my friend with that name goes crazy when "foreigners" say "air-ah".
I think Haf is a really cute name ;) x

Gwynedd. I'm really surprised that you're from north Wales, usually southerners pronounce it the way you say which is gramatically quite wrong anyway.

So, new name on the list, Eirwen, what do you think about it??? Daddy liked Eirwyn better but that's the male version, so kind of uncommon.

Iona and Moira are being considered instead of Mòrag (Isla is way too popular now so they don't want it).

I don't think they'll be able to name her even after she's born :dohh:

Scottish:

ABI
AILEAS
AILSA
ANNAG
BARABAL
BEATHAG
BEILEAG
BEITRIS
CAIRISTÌONA
CAITRÌONA