Names that are clearly Welsh/Scottish?

Out of interest, what part of wales are you from? Because where I'm from in north wales we Do pronounce Eira "Ay-ra"! And my friend with that name goes crazy when "foreigners" say "air-ah".
I think Haf is a really cute name ;) x

Gwynedd. I'm really surprised that you're from north Wales, usually southerners pronounce it the way you say which is gramatically quite wrong anyway.

So, new name on the list, Eirwen, what do you think about it??? Daddy liked Eirwyn better but that's the male version, so kind of uncommon.
:
I'm also surprised that you're a gog too ;) Even when the word is used in context (e.g Mae'n bwrw eira) it's pronounced "Ay-ra" but maybe we're writing our phonetics differently :shrug: I mean "Ay" as in the sound in "hey!" And obviously then rolling the "r"
I would've moved around a lot and the areas I know that would say it that way would be denbigh/Corwen/ruthin/mold/Abergele.
Eirwen is also a cute name! x

Out of interest, what part of wales are you from? Because where I'm from in north wales we Do pronounce Eira "Ay-ra"! And my friend with that name goes crazy when "foreigners" say "air-ah".

Gwynedd. I'm really surprised that you're from north Wales, usually southerners pronounce it the way you say which is gramatically quite wrong anyway.

So, new name on the list, Eirwen, what do you think about it??? Daddy liked Eirwyn better but that's the male version, so kind of uncommon.
:
I'm also surprised that you're a gog too ;) Even when the word is used in context (e.g Mae'n bwrw eira) it's pronounced "Ay-ra" but maybe we're writing our phonetics differently :shrug: I mean "Ay" as in the sound in "hey!" And obviously then rolling the "r"
I would've moved around a lot and the areas I know that would say it that way would be denbigh/Corwen/ruthin/mold/Abergele.

Yes apparently we are talking about the same thing. I chose AIR-a you chose Ay-ra. When I say some people say it like Ay-ra I meant they say it like it rhymes with Isla, obviously that's not what you meant (why did you use the American A? that confused me lol) :D

Do you think Eirwen is easier to pronounce for non-Welsh people? We thought it would be :shrug: Not that it has to be easy to pronounce. It just has to be 'that name is totally Welsh!'. Obsessed parents are obsessed.

:

Yes apparently we are talking about the same thing. I chose AIR-a you chose Ay-ra. When I say some people say it like Ay-ra I meant they say it like it rhymes with Isla, obviously that's not what you meant (why did you use the American A? that confused me lol) :D

Do you think Eirwen is easier to pronounce for non-Welsh people? We thought it would be :shrug: Not that it has to be easy to pronounce. It just has to be 'that name is totally Welsh!'. Obsessed parents are obsessed.
Haha! We're singing off the same hymn-sheet as true welsh sisters then :haha:
I think eirwen is harder to pronounce properly for the non-welsh, particularly as you have the rolling R going straight into a W.
There's been lots of good suggestions here, my faves so far would be eira, seren, ffion, haf. I hope they make their minds up! :haha: x

Ok. I'm half welsh. Noone on that side of the family has the names you've mentioned and I have no clue how to pronounce them! I work in an office where we see a lot of customer accounts and i've not come across them and i'm sure my colleagues wouldn't know where to begin!

The only obviously welsh name I can think of that is easy to say for most people/everyone is Myfanwy.

Welsh Names:

Esillt
Eryl
Mena
Angharrad
Mabley
Nia
Fion
Non
Tallyesin

:

I am from Prestatyn but have lived nr Caernarfon for past 10 yrs. I've only ever heard it pronounced Ay-Ra x

:

I am from Prestatyn but have lived nr Caernarfon for past 10 yrs. I've only ever heard it pronounced Ay-Ra x

My family are from Amlwch and I've only ever heard it pronounced Ay-ra too x

Yes, the op did actually mean it as Ay-Ra but was writing her phonetics wrong :thumbup: x

:

My family are from Amlwch and I've only ever heard it pronounced Ay-ra too x[/QUOTE

Cardiff and we say eye-ra

Eurlys. If I have another girl, I'd love to call her that, but husband won't want to.
Gwenllian.
Hawys.
Heulwen.
Marged. I love this name.
Rhiannon.
Arianrhod.
Anwen.
Gwen.
Mari or Mair.
Bethan.
Sioned.
Manon.
Rhydwenna.
Non.
Siwan.
Olwen.
Glain.
Catrin.
Elin.
Eleri.
Teleri.
Meleri.
Tegwen.
Ceinwen.
Medi.
Alaw.
Gwenno.
Lora.
Llio.
Llinos.

I am in the North (Prestatyn also) and cant say half these Welsh names lol.
My fav Welsh name is Seren though-I always said I would name a Daughter Seren but OH is from stoke and I HATE the way he pronounces it so thats out for us if we ever have a Girly now, boo!

Currently, they're focused on Branwen and Meinir.

Ceri and Siân also seems lovely and are on the list now.

How would you pronounce Meinir? (don't reply if you speak Welsh, no cheating lol)

I'm American, and would pronounce it "may-near".

Wow, on my phone, and didn't realize there were more pages of comments! :haha:

Love Arwen (but everyone would assume we got it from LOTR) and Eira.

Apparently Meinir isn't that hard to pronounce (it's may-nir with strong r) and that's good. It looks like it'll be Meinir, with a lot of middle names! :wacko:

Wyn is a really common middle name in Wales, but do you think it would be better if it's short for something like Wynnie or Gwynedd?

Also, your feedbacks on Eira was really positive, so it's back on the list. :thumbup:

That air-ra/ay-ra convo was getting confusing lol

I love Branwen, we did Mabinogion in school when I was about 6. I have loved it ever since. I also like...

Carys
Dwynwen
Mair
Ceridwen
Rhiannon

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member