Nappies: making the switch... perhaps... some Qs

redpoppy

Reaction score
I intended to use disposable nappies for the first few weeks then make my move over to reusable ones.... but now i'm on week 13 and a little scared.

I'm actually glad I didn't start with reusables as my first three months have been tough, first with a variety of physical ailments and then with breastfeeding issues and baby weight gain stress.

If I'm honest I'm not sure if I can make the switch but would like to consider it.

However I have a few questions I would like to ask:

1. How many nappies does a 3 month old and older typically go through in a day?
2. How many times do you change a reusable nappy at night time?
3. Do any of you use disposable at night and reusable in the day
4. Do you guys use reusables when going out and about and how and where do you store the dirty nappy?
5. My LO does a VERY squelchy poo at 11 almost every day (for the last two weeks anyway!) and over half the time it squelches out of her nappy and onto her vest and sometimes beyond. How good are reuseables t dealing with squelchy poos and if you add extra boosters inside would that help?

Hey,

Once you get in to the swing of things with cloth it's just as easy as sposies. I started using cloth when Ryan was about 3 months and just started using cloth during the day and still sposies at night so I probably used between 6-8 nappies per day and did a wash every 2nd day so 16 would probably be a good number to have to start with.

For going out you put nappies in a wetbag like this https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?img...mage_result&resnum=6&ct=image&ved=0CBcQ9QEwBQ

At Night time I use a night nappy so he's in it till morning ( I use fitted with wool/fleece wrap)

I think you would more be looking for a good fit around the legs etc for poo as opposed to booster but in my experiance cloth holds poo the same (if not better than sposies)

HTH x

Hiya - I was the same as you intended to start pretty much straight away but got delayed. We started at just over 3 months old so similar to you.

1. How many nappies does a 3 month old and older typically go through in a day? - We use about 5/6 in a day and have done since starting.

2. How many times do you change a reusable nappy at night time? - We change her at 5pm then again at 10pm then at 8am, not been brave enough to try leaving her all night yet.

3. Do any of you use disposable at night and reusable in the day - We did for the first week till i was used to them.

4. Do you guys use reusables when going out and about and how and where do you store the dirty nappy? - I use a wet bag which came with my changing bag to store the wet nappies, dirty ones go in a nappy bag then in the wet bag. Ive now got a larger wetbag cause the one i had would only hold 2/3 nappies.

5. My LO does a VERY squelchy poo at 11 almost every day (for the last two weeks anyway!) and over half the time it squelches out of her nappy and onto her vest and sometimes beyond. How good are reuseables t dealing with squelchy poos and if you add extra boosters inside would that help? - With squelchy poos i think it is trial and error to find one that suits your baby. I mainly use flips and they have been great for poo containment, not sure extra boosters would make much difference cause it just sits there till i change her - doesnt soak in much, but leila is now bottle feed so not sure if breast fed poop would be different.

Hope that helps :thumbup:

I intended to use disposable nappies for the first few weeks then make my move over to reusable ones.... but now i'm on week 13 and a little scared.

I'm actually glad I didn't start with reusables as my first three months have been tough, first with a variety of physical ailments and then with breastfeeding issues and baby weight gain stress.

If I'm honest I'm not sure if I can make the switch but would like to consider it.

However I have a few questions I would like to ask:

what do you in disposables at the moment?
we don;t because my LO is older now and sleeps straight through. We use bumgenius version 3's with no problems at all.
I started doing this until I was brave enough to try a nappy out at night, after using my first cloth at night time i never turned back :blush:
4. Do you guys use reusables when going out and about and how and where do you store the dirty nappy?
You can buy wetbags for this
5. My LO does a VERY squelchy poo at 11 almost every day (for the last two weeks anyway!) and over half the time it squelches out of her nappy and onto her vest and sometimes beyond. How good are reuseables t dealing with squelchy poos and if you add extra boosters inside would that help?
reasonably but it depends on what you are using. Fleece liners are a great help because they absorb a lot of it

:flower:

Same number of sposies you go through a day! Theo is 2 months and uses between 6 and ten nappies a day.
I dont. I put him in a specific night nappy (you dont HAVE to do this) and he stays in that from bedtime til morning.
I use reusable all the time but many people only use reusables part time.
I do yes. Until recently I just put the wet/dirty nappy in a plastic nappy bag til I got home but now I have a wetbag, just toss the wet/dirty nappy in there zip it up and off I go.
A MILLION times better than disposables!!!!!! My 5yr old used to leak out of disposables ALL the time, particularly with poop. I very, very, VERY rarely get any leakage in reusables, if I do its normally because that style of nappy doesnt fit him quite right but its only ever a BIT of a leak and doesnt make lots of mess.
Once you find what works reusables are much better at poop containment!

Imi was going through 5/6 a day and is still on the same now :)
Imi is in her night nappy for 12 hours - 8 till 8. I was scared to swap over at first but all it took was one night and the sposies were gone to my friend never to be seen again!
We don't but I know some do!
We are 100% cloth and I just have a wet bag in my changing bag - nappies, whether dirty or wet get put in there and sorted when we get home. I was "nervous" the first time we used them away from home but there was really no need to be. Just the same as sposies, except you take them home, not chuck them away.
I've had less leaks with cloth than i did in 3 weeks of sposies, you just need to make sure you have nappies to suit your LO and I find fleece liners a god send - so easy to rinse poo off :)

probably 6-8, it varies. we reckon we've got maybe 30-odd cloth nappies now :blush: and there are a few unused! i do a nappy wash every few days.

we used a cloth for the first time last night! he was in it 8pm-9am. it was a night nappy with a wrap. we usually use disposables at night but mainly because hes a small baby and hadnt liked the extra bulk making his bum stick up in the air! now hes bigger they fit better.

see above! im going to try cloth more nights now though.

we mostly use flips out and about as you only have to take the inserts and maybe a spare cover (k tends to poo out the sides of his) we use a wetbag and shove it all in there and sort when we get home.

K does these!! he tends to leak out of his legs in disposables. some reuseables he squelches at the sides a bit but we havent had a proper 'leak' like we do with disposables. he did a bit this morning but the night nappy he had on was loose round the legs. i believe the key is to get the nappy fitting properly! we find fleece helps as well but with things like bumgenius it will just soak up the explosion and doesnt leak.

hope that helps! have fun with it - after all, whats the worst that could happen if your lo was in cloth ?!?! (for me - that i've now got addicted to cloth nappy tree :blush: and look forward to nappy washes! sad huh!)

Hi, I'm just reading this to learn more about reusables myself, but I just thought I'd mention that if your baby is regular and poos at 11 every day then you may want to try elimination communication for that poo. My friend is doing this and it works well.

Around 11, hold the baby over a potty or loo and make an ooo noise. The baby may get used to pooing then into the potty and you won't have to deal with midday messy nappies anymore.

EC is something that can easily be done part-time. Have a look at www.nappyfreebaby.co.uk

hi hun, just wanted to say hi - the girls here are fab for advice :D and just to say I have just made the transission from disposables to re-usables and I have to admit its been fab and I am a CD addict now lol so try not to worry - my biggest concern was poohs etc but in all honesty this has been fine :D

Anyways best of luck xx

Hi, I'm just reading this to learn more about reusables myself, but I just thought I'd mention that if your baby is regular and poos at 11 every day then you may want to try elimination communication for that poo. My friend is doing this and it works well.

Around 11, hold the baby over a potty or loo and make an ooo noise. The baby may get used to pooing then into the potty and you won't have to deal with midday messy nappies anymore.

EC is something that can easily be done part-time. Have a look at www.nappyfreebaby.co.uk

Sounds liek a great idea but my LO always tends to poop while she's drinking her milk. :blush:

hopefully she wont do that when she's a lot older. :haha:

Molly will go through 6 in the day and 1 at night.

We don't, her night nappies are super absorbent.

Not meeee, some do though.

In my beauuutiful cow print wetbag :D

Disposables never once contained Molly's explosive poops but I have never had that problem with reusables. If the fit is good, there are no gaps and the fabric isn't flimsy and easily shifted like disposables.

Sounds liek a great idea but my LO always tends to poop while she's drinking her milk. :blush:

hopefully she wont do that when she's a lot older. :haha:

If you've recognised the pattern, youre already 90% there for EC! I would hold her on a potty/toilet before you give her milk ;-)
I bet she'd be more comfy too!

I started when my LO was doing "cluster poops" and using 3 nappies every time we changed her :dohh:
So now I just take old nappy off, sit her on potty, and she'll usually pee/poop/both. Only takes a minute and means less nappy changes for me!:happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->