nasty cold finally got me- blocked nose remedies?

satine51

Reaction score
Aaaghr, just came down with horrible cold. I'be got blocked/streaming nose, sore throat, the lot!

Does anyone know any remedies for blocked nose? It'a driving me mad :nope:

I don't have the answer but I'll be watching this thread for sure. Have been congested for about a week now and I really can't take it anymore. .. .

Are you in the UK? Buy Vicks Sinex, it's amazing and it's only a localised decongestant so you can use it. One squirt up each nostril. There are other brands, but that's the best. It takes about 10 mins to fully take affect, but unblocks your nose for 6-8 hours, it's been my life saver this week - they should employ me as a marketing worker :)

Thanks! I didn't think we are allowed any nose drops/sprays?

I had the worst blocked nose last week, burning sinus', blocked ears, etc :wacko:

The medical officer in my works said the best thing was steam. You're meant to put boiling hot water in a metal bowl/pan, cover your head with a towel and breathe in. Instead, I preferred to turn the shower on BOILING HOT and leave it running for a while in the bathroom with the doors closed, then turn it down to a normal temperature, and showered and inhaled the steam at the same time. Worked a treat!

Try breathing hot steam. Do a bowel of hot water, and breath the steam while you cover your head and the bowel with a towel.
Another one that helped me is a small bag of heated salt on both sides of the nose. Heat the salt on a pan, put it in a squire of kitchen towel (paper) and on your nose! Make sure it's not too hot for you... I got my nose unblocked within 2 days with this...

Thanks purapura, never heard of that one! Will definitely give it a go.

I am full of cold too.... I have been off work today with it, trying to get rest as my job can be hard work.

I am also at home, but a bit worried how long it's going to go on for. I know we have lower immune system due to pregnancy, but I really hope it goes away soon. I don't feel any improvement since sunday!

I was off work yesterday and off today too with nasty cold (and PGP), have run out of paracetemol and lemons! Will have hot water and honey (by itself!) and do the steam thing with a couple of drops of olbas oil. So annoying.

I use the sterimar sea salt spray it can be used on babies to.Also the small vics inhaler if fine.Olbas oil durring the night to.xx

I have found that a netti pot works well for a clogged nose from a cold as well as for allergies.

Lots of drinks, keep your fluids up so any mucus can be removed easily. It's worse when it's sticky. I use steam aswell, it's time consuming and a bit annoying but put a bit of Vicks Vapour Rub in with the hot water and really breathe in deeply. Honey is great for a sore throat and I read somewhere gargling baby aspirin for a sore throat helps relieve the pain, but I haven't tried that.

I hope it passes quickly for you. This is my fourth cold since my BFP grr so annoying but will be worth it!!

Thanks MrsH, this one is a very stubborn one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->