Natural Birth and No Birthing Class?

Mb2012

Mother of 1
Reaction score
Hi ladies, I'm Logan 19 and 26 weeks pregnant with my first child, a little girl. Just a little background info I have 3 other siblings my mom delivered us all naturally and even though it's been tons of years since her last (my sister is 16) and things have changed I'm really interested in following in her footsteps and delivering my daughter without any medication.

Thing is I don't want to take a birthing class, I feel like I don't need it my mom will be there during delivery and I hear that a lot of the stuff you learn goes out the window when your in the heat of the moment. I was just wondering if any other ladies had delivered their children and not taken any birth classes?

How did it go for you?
Do you feel like it was more complicated because you didn't take a birthing class?
Were the nurses really helpful with guiding you on how to do the breathing/relaxation tips?
Did you have anyone there to help support you in your decision and not let doctors force an alternative on you?
And if you could change your decision would you opt to take a birthing class?

Any other tips about delivering naturally would be lovely too. I'm a little nervous about doing it and know that things don't always go your way so if need be I would do what was in the best interest for my child and me. Thank you all in advance :flower:

I've never given birth so I can't answer your question, but I am interested to see the responses. I am having a natural/home birth and don't want to take any birthing classes. I think the longer classes that don't just coach you through the birth but also through the first few weeks of life would be helpful, but the hypnobirth classes (which are the only ones I would take) are just an afternoon long. I do think that for me, all training would fly out the window, because I know that's how I am.

Curious to see what everyone else says!

I didn't have a home birth with my son, but it was natural (as in no pain relief at all) in a hospital. I also didn't take any classes or read any books on childbirth at all. He was born a month early though - I did plan on doing some reading up before and just didn't get the time, but never planned to take a formal class.

Anyway, I think it worked in my favour that I wasn't mentally prepared. First of all I think it is impossible to really be mentally prepared for something when you have no clue what it will be like or how your body will react. I also think that I would have spent more time worrying and stressing over the details, which I think can really affect labour. I just had to take things as they came and it worked out as well as I could have expected - in fact my plan is to do exactly the same this time around. But hopefully I'll be at home!

But that's just my experience. It is so individual though. I'm sure some women would have had major issues with how my labour and delivery went and not have been happy at all, or had it go completely differently. Lots of women find the classes invaluable. So really, I think it comes down to what you are comfortable with!

I went to 2 antenatal classes with DS1 - well we all turned up to 1 and it didnt run, the 2nd was shocking the woman rambled on and played with some plasticine. It was rubbish, I didnt bother going back.

DS2 I didnt bother with antenatal - I had done enough reading online and used natal hypnotherapy CD's a bit that I was comfortable to go without.

Now I wish I had a Doula ( she would have stopped a few things being done I didn't want but couldnt argue with because I was busy LOL).

But I got a VBAC on Gas ans Air only and never felt that it was too much or I was out of control and couldnt cope -I did wimper for pethadine when I had been transferred to hospital but that was more how horrible I felt after the journey lol I didnt get any for which I am glad.

This is my fourth child, and I never took a class with any of my other three. I DID read, a lot! There are tons of books out there for pregnancy and natural childbirth. And with your Mom to help you, you'll do just fine.

When labouring, a good thing to remember is to try to relax as much as possible. Walk if you feel like it, take a shower, bounce on a birthing ball. Focus and concentrate on something while deep breathing when going thru a contraction.

Hold your dhs/oh's' hand, lean against him, let him give you strength. Good luck!

I had a hospital with my first and a home birth with my second. I did take a chldbirth class with my first, but it was hospital based and didn't focus on natural childbirth. The nurses were not helpful at all, they tried to push medications on me and looked at the monitors more than at me.

With my second I didn't take any classes and decided to just let my body take the lead. I had a successful homebirth with him.

i didnt take classes with my first i didnt feel the need i had been through them as a teen alongside my mother who had 2 homebirths when was a teen and we got Birthwise on DVD which is like a home study antenatal class for my DH i found it really good as it focuses on natural birth

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->