• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Natural birthing UK

peachprincess

Reaction score
Hello :kiss:

This is my first baby so have planned to give birth in hospital as I don't know what to expect. I really hope to have a water birth with gas and air and I'm hoping that will get me through.
I've put in my birth plan that if I feel its necessary then I will have pain medication but no epidural. As my due date approaches I'm worrying about the pain and coping methods.
Our birth classes say to have a strategy for the first stage of labour and mine so far is try and sleep at home until its time to go in.

Can anyone recommend books on this or anything online that would help? Would like home births in future but feel a natural birth in hospital is best for the first one just in case

Do natal hypnotherapy - buy the birth preparation CD and the Effective Birth Preparation book and practice as much as you can (4-5 days a week, ideally). You don't need to take the class, just practice an read the book.

Think about hiring a TENS machine and put it on as soon as you're feeling anything slightly stronger than a period cramp. And yes, stay at home and relax as long as you can. And eat if you feel like it. You'll need the energy later.

I had a completely natural home birth with my first and plan to do the same again next time. I practiced natal hypnotherapy from the start of 3rd tri and used a TENS machine. I never even needed the gas and air, and labour was really manageable. In fact, the only painful parts were the cervical check (only had it done once, won't be consenting to another again!) and the few stitches I got after. Birth was intense and tiring, and I did feel some pain in moments, but it overall really wasn't painful. I very much credit being at home (which you can mimic even if you decide to be in hospital, you can make hospital 'home-like'), natal hypnotherapy and using a TENS. In fact, the only reason I consented to the awful cervical check was because the midwives weren't really convinced I was in labour because I seemed so comfortable and relaxed. When they checked me, I was fully dilated and then there was a sudden panicked unpacked of all their stuff because they hadn't expected to stick around.

You really can do it. If you do nothing else, natal hypnotherapy is key. I can't recommend it enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->