• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Natural sleep aids?

seoj

Our family of four...
Reaction score
I've recently been very restless in my sleep (tossing and turning)- And I feel SO tired and worn down when I get up... plus my chronic pains are worse from all the movement.

I've been through stages in my life before when this happened- and an RX helped (years ago)- after just a few nights, I was back on track and sleeping well on my own again.

I don't want to have to get an RX this time- I'd prefer to find something over the counter that would help me sleep more peacefully (I've NO issue actually getting to sleep).

I tried Somonex that last 2 nights- and, although, I don't toss and turn as much- I'm having horrid nightmares. I don't even want to explain them- they were just very bad.

Sominex uses diphenhydramine- so I'd assume I should avoid others with same ingredients... I've tried melatonin before- but always feel a bit groggy the next day. So that's out.

Any other suggestions?

Lavender essential oil rubbed on temples or diffused into the air. I have it in dried herb form added to a rice heating pouch if the other forms seem too strong for the night. I simply pop it into the microwave to heat it up and release the scent. Will position it behind my shoulders or across my abdomen or lower back as I'm falling asleep so the heat helps relax tensed muscles too.

Chamomille tea just before bed.

Maybe try melatonin in smaller doses? Many are in 5mg amounts while half that amount or even less would more than do the trick.

Make sure your bedroom is completely darkened (no lights from even an alarm clock or smoke detector - a strip of electrical tape does the trick). Use the room darkening blinds on any windows if you can. Keep your room light, airy and decluttered if you can.

Make sure you're not using any electronics an hour before bed. No tv, tablet, phone or internet surfing.

No eating a good 2-3 hours before bed. Cut out or down on very processed foods, refined sugars and caffeine.

I struggled with full on insomnia for years and although it seems like those bitty changes wouldn't help much, collectively they sure do!

Thanks- I already do a lot of that. Funny you mentioned the tape on the lights- haha- my hubby thinks I'm silly, but I do that! I don't like any light when I'm trying to sleep. I'll try the lavendar- haven't done that before.

I did find an herbal supplement Vularian (spl?) and that seems to have helped- I haven't been tossing and turning AS much. I just have a lot going on right now- so I absolutely need to find more time to just breath and take a moment ;)

Thanks again!

something thats really great that i stopped drinking when i had my son (just too drowsy, works too good) was 'marley's mellow mood". they taste like soda or tea (different flavors). wal-mart sells them, they are a little expensive but so worth it. depending on where you live you may need to order them, or look in your local convenient stores. they are also natural with minimal ingredients (and taste sooo good). they will help you sleep big time, i recommend them to a lot of people and they really work amazingly.

I drink chamomile tea before bed and I find it really helps! If I dont drink it I am tosding and turning all night! Do you have s natural medicine store near you thst you could ask in? x

Thanks ladies- I seem to be doing much better, found a natural supplement that helped... and after a couple nights, I did better.

I will for sure keep these ideas for next time though! I tend to go through this cycle every 2-3yrs (or so).

Thanks again!

I use that lavender spray that you put on pillows. It works really well for me.

Without it I toss and turn so much my husband has to clamp his arms around me to stop me moving :laugh2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->