Need Advice and encouragement for a Natural Birth

Good luck! I had a natural bradley birth in the hospital in the US, I thought I'd share a couple of things that surprised me. I watched all these tv shows, and was sure I would not give birth on my back, and I practiced all my different labouring poses.

When it came down to it, I sat in the tub for my entire labour, once I hit 5cm, I didn't use any of the labouring poses. When it came time to push, I just wanted him out. I was on my back, and pushed him out in 18 min. I was so tired from transition that being on my back with my DH and my doula holding my legs felt best to me.

During transition, it was really important to me to remember 'no drama'. No huffing and puffing or screaming. I swore twice when I had back to back contractions, but I really tried to focus on breathing through them, not thinking about how painful they were. Yeah, they hurt, but you'll get through them and have your beautiful baby. Take them one at a time, when you start watching the clock, or thinking you can't handle any more, that's when you'll give up.

Good luck, I know you can do it :) I was 11 days late, and my doctor really wanted to induce at 40w, so if you have any questions re US practices, feel free to PM me

Thanks girls!

I really hope i can remind myself to take it one contraction at a time, especially during transition! Right now i have that ready to think, but not sure if i will when im in the moment. Thank God my DH is so great! I know he will do a great job coaching me!

Today the MW said if my LO doesn't come by 41+3 she would induce. Im praying NO induction. Trying to avoid it at aLL cost. I think my body will go into labor on its own but the whole process of induction scares me FAR more than a natural birth!

Girls, do any of you have a birth story on here that i could read? That would be very helpful :)

I gotta thank Guppy again for this thread. I check it everyday and have really felt so much better from the encouraging words. I think the tip about consciously relaxing the jaw will help me a ton! I'm considering finding some organic hard candy to suck on so I can actively think of not biting it to pieces. Anyone tried that?

Guppy, hope you don't need induction. Thankfully I don't get sent to the hospital to even discuss induction until I'm 41+5. I really don't think it will take so long anymore though. I've been grouchy and achy and have such a runny nose. I've heard that it could be caused by the same hormone that softens the cervix. Still no plug though. :(

I think the tip about consciously relaxing the jaw will help me a ton! I'm considering finding some organic hard candy to suck on so I can actively think of not biting it to pieces. Anyone tried that?

I have bought some gum and some hard candies. I hear gum is a really good idea...but i dont really understand how that works bc then your jaw would be clenched :dohh: Oh well, guess its there if i want it :thumbup:

Oh yeah, I forgot :dohh: Ive heard that sucking your thumb helps with the pain too. Im not sure why exactly, but i think it has something to do with a pressure point.

Guppy, hope you don't need induction. Thankfully I don't get sent to the hospital to even discuss induction until I'm 41+5. I really don't think it will take so long anymore though. I've been grouchy and achy and have such a runny nose. I've heard that it could be caused by the same hormone that softens the cervix. Still no plug though. :(

Fx'ed neither of us will need it! I have a good feeling i'll go on my own (probably a couple days "over due") but i still think he will show on his own.

runny nose! Really?! :yipee: My nose has been running out the door since yesterday :haha: and what about a sore throat? Does that mean anything? :shrug: that just started...dang, hope its not allergies or a cold! I want a sign! :hissy: LOL

I think the tip about consciously relaxing the jaw will help me a ton! I'm considering finding some organic hard candy to suck on so I can actively think of not biting it to pieces. Anyone tried that?

I have bought some gum and some hard candies. I hear gum is a really good idea...but i dont really understand how that works bc then your jaw would be clenched :dohh: Oh well, guess its there if i want it :thumbup:

Fx'ed neither of us will need it! I have a good feeling i'll go on my own (probably a couple days "over due") but i still think he will show on his own.

runny nose! Really?! :yipee: My nose has been running out the door since yesterday :haha: and what about a sore throat? Does that mean anything? :shrug: that just started...dang, hope its not allergies or a cold! I want a sign! :hissy: LOL

I woke up feeling like I was coming down with a cold on Monday and got worried/scared I'd go into labor feeling that way. I had a headache, dry eyes, runny nose (which later turned into dry sinuses and has since gone back to runny) and a sore throat.

The thing is that the sore throat never really was deep in my throat. I think it might have just been that I was breathing through my mouth only and it irritated the very back of my mouth and tonsils. I was probably sucking back snot too instead of blowing my nose like I should have... I gargled with really hot salty water and felt better. Now the runny nose is the only thing left... fingers crossed it's those hormones hard at work!

I sucked on honey straws for quick energy during labor. By about 4cm, I could no longer eat anything, the honey was the only thing I could stomach. It also helped distract me. Here's the link to my birth story:

Jackson's birth story

Thanks so much Guppy for starting this thread. And the comments have been so amazing. :hugs:

What is a TENS machine? Is it something we can get here in the states?

What is a TENS machine? Is it something we can get here in the states?

:hi: There!
As far as i know TENS machines are not offered in US hospitals/centers (i could be wrong tho, but so far most Americans have no clue what a TENS Machine is, so i figure they arn't a pain management option here...none of my sisters were offered it). But im sure if you possessed one and brought it to the hospital with you, you could use it :thumbup:

anyways, its a small hand held machine. I believe it sticks to certain parts of your back and sends small "vibes" through the machine. I hear if you dont place the stickys in the correct place it isn't really all that effective. You are in control on how much it sends. Supposedly it is pain relief, but from what i have read it really doesn't do much once you're in active labor.

You could try eBay, maybe :shrug: If you google TENS Machine it comes up in the "shopping" area.

The UK girls will probably be able to answer this question better lol.

A TENS machine has the potential to be your best friend during your labour!!

Here's a link to Wikipedia which describes it more acurately for you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tens_machine

The idea is to place the pads onto your lower back in early labour and have the pulse going continuously (I would liken the sensation to lightly scratching your skin with your nails all the time). As your contractions come, you increase the strength of the pulse by using the handheld device attached. Essentially, you are masking the contraction pains with another sensation. I used mine all the way through until I got into my pool to deliver Alex (they obviously can't be used whilst you're in the water) - I don't know how I would have gone through my labour without it! It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I loved mine! x

Thanks for sharing that Jen!
Are there are any "side effects" or risks from using it? :shrug:
...would think about ordering one...except im due on Monday :dohh: That probably wont work! Haha :wacko:

Thanks girls! Just wondering what it was...

I must say after reading all these awesome birth stories and encouragement about natural birth I'm very excited to have a natural birth!!!

I must say after reading all these awesome birth stories and encouragement about natural birth I'm very excited to have a natural birth!!!

Me too! :yipee:
I can't wait to experience everything involved!
The only thing im more concerned about is when will it happen? :shrug:

Found this site... Pretty interesting...

https://www.birthingnaturally.net/cn/tool/tens.html

Thanks for sharing that Jen!
Are there are any "side effects" or risks from using it? :shrug:
...would think about ordering one...except im due on Monday :dohh: That probably wont work! Haha :wacko:

There are absolutely no side effects at all.

I'm so excited for all you all! This forum wasn't available when I decided on my home birth. I felt a little "alone" and would have loved all this advice and encouragement from the ladies here. It makes me want to go through my whole labour and birth again!!!

I'll be keeping a close eye on your updates to see how you're all getting on! :happydance: xxx

I came back to this thread to see if any babies have been born! I can't wait to read your birth story Guppy and vespersonicca (I think you're the only 2 due very soon!) :)

Here is mine if you're interested...

https://www.babyandbump.com/birth-s...baby-kiras-natural-birth-aug-14th-2009-a.html

I was 10 days late... just remember the baby will come when he or she is ready!

Thanks Spidey!
Yup, im still here. 2 days overdue. I really have no issue with being pregnant or with being overdue, but my doc wants to induce next week and i dont want to do that AT ALL :cry:

i especially want to avoid any type of drugs. With that said if she MUST induce (which at this point she has NO medical reason to do so), then do you think asking her to break my waters would be fair (and work)? I at least want a shot at all natural :sad1:

I would be a little afraid of getting my waters broke since that puts you on a 24 hour clock (in the US) to deliver. Perhaps they might agree to let you go just a bit longer if you had a fetal stress test and sonogram done to show the baby is okay :shrug: Thats what they did at my birthing center after 1 week overdue, and then monitoring twice a week until the baby comes. Or, you could have a case of pregnancy brain and "forget" to go to your induction appointment. That might buy you an extra day!

How many days overdue until they want to induce?

Well, the first thing we will ask at our appt. tomorrow (if i dont go into labor by 8am tomorrow) is to see if she will let me go until 42 weeks (she wants to induce at 41+3, her reasoning was because "she doesn't let women go over that mark") which really pisses me off bc then thats not based off of MY care :wacko: anyways). Thats what i will do first and ask about the scans and whatnot. If thats a NO, think i'll ask for mechnical dilation (dont know if thats available or not). I know with them breaking my water that will DEF. put me on the clock, but at the same time if they induce with meds then i'll be hooked up from the start (if that makes sense). I just feel so PRESSURED to have this baby NOW bc of the talk of induction :cry: UGH! WHy can't they just let my body do what its supposed to?!

You still have time... you will most likely go into labor before 41 weeks 3 days, BUT its good to be prepared if you haven't. Mechanical dilation sounds like a good option I think, because if it doesn't work there is no harm. I hope that if you consent to lots of monitoring, the doctor should let you go to 42 weeks. If the baby is happy and healthy and your fluid levels are good, then it should be okay to wait (atleast that makes sense to me!) You have the best possible chance for a natural birth if you are allowed to start labor naturally.

Let me know how your appointment goes tomorrow! Sending good baby vibes your way!! :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->